Airtel Internet TV - Airtel's new 4K DTH STB powered by Android TV (You don't own it. Airtel does!)

• Thread starter Thread starter warpspeed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 16,877
My jiju took this box. And man, spent couple of hours with it. And the only thing I wanna say is I wouldn't even want my enemies to use it. The interface, the menu and the remote are incredibly annoying.

Took Airtel almost 5 hours to activate the DTH subscription and another 40 minutes for the box to recognise the subscription so it would let us use the apps and such.

The inbuilt Google Chromecast is sweet when you read it. But actual implementation is nowhere close to an actual Chromecast stick. You can't stream Netflix and Airtel TV apps from your phone to it. The video is blocked. On netflix, you can even see the subtitles on the screen but not the actual video.

I was able to stream Prime Video but the video ran a bit faster almost as if it was on 2x speed. (You would think if the apps are in the box, why I am streaming - Lol. Try using the apps. You will pull your hair.)

Hotstar and Youtube streamed just fine.

There is 5GB available storage for you to install apps. Apps work fine once u manage to reach the page to access them. Airtel thinks running a default channel in the background all the time enhances experience.

Switching channels is a pain esp more so with the TRAI rule, you will constantly land on a channel not in your subscription and Airtel will throw a full screen popup that you need to dismiss everytime. Just note down channel numbers and browse directly. There is a favorite feature but I never got around to using it.

Btw don't use the hardware remote. It sucks. Just get the Airtel Smart remote app from Playstore. Works better.

In a nutshell, this is a Chromestick with limitations which also lets you run TV channels coz its a set top box with the world's worst interface and remote.