Airtel GPRS/EDGE: Cheaper plans might have restricted speeds!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 6,444
Just saw this tweet...

Some guy claims that during his testing he found that airtel 98 rupee plan has faster speeds compared to their 13 rupee mobile internet plan.

could it be that airtel is limiting data consumption on their cheaper GPRS plans?

Twitter / Hafis Sayed: There is a huge speed diff ...

Impossible. Limitation of technology. Unless the APN (acess point name) is same, they can't restrict speed for particular plan or user. This applies to standards upto 2.75G GSM network. And if I am not wrong, Airtel have only one APN for mobile internet plans that is airtelgprs.com. They have other but for WAP and MMS services.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

And this is same irrespective of operator. However it is possible to restrict data packet for particular user on HSDPA, HSPA standards.

well i am not an expert. but at least on CDMA, both tata and mts are now offering unlimited plans with reduced speed after the FUP limit is reached. of course they are CDMA based services so it's a totally difference scenario.

They don't have to restrict packets over the mobile network, they will just restrict the speed at their internet gateway.

Technically, I think it is possible. But I don't think they might have employed such cheap tactics to milk money from customers.Well, if this is indeed true, then I'm speechless. 😕

when it comes to airtel... i can believe anything shocking these days.

But there is a drastic speed difference between the EDGE speeds of Airtel in Bangalore, compared to Coimbatore. In both places i am in the middle of the city, and in Coimbatore i got 95 - 113 kbps download speed, and in bangalore i am getting only 35-43 kbps. Checked with speedtest app on my iPhone.