• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 16,578

alpanasatam

ISP
Airtel
Complaint Details:

Background:
I have been using Airtel services since year 2004. Initially it was pre-paid, then I changed to billing in year 2005, when I got corporate plan from my office. Since then till now, I am a post-paid customer of Airtel.

March’2008:
In second week of March I receive a call from an Airtel associate [as he called himself] offering me a “Hotline” plan. He explained me the plan, which was as follows:
- In this Hotline plan, I can make another Airtel postpaid number as my hotline number, meaning any calls made to and fro my and that number will be free.
I was glad to know that. I showed my interest and told that guy that the number which I want to make free is a Airtel pre-paid number. He said that I will have to make it post paid first to avail this offer. I said – “Fine’ll do that”.

Accordingly on 13th of March 2008 one boy named Narendra came to my office to collect the required documents.
1. I paid him Rs599/- [which included the Sim Cost as pre-paid was going to be converted to billing and some deposit of this plan which I was taking]
2. I gave him the old SIM number of the pre-paid card. [so that same number was to be converted to post paid]
3. And my ID proof zerox.
That same day that boy gave me new SIM card and said that within 48hrs this will be activated as billing and that old sim will be deactivated.

On 17th of March’2008, the new SIM got activated and we were very happy to avail this hotline plan. To be on safer side, as I had that associate’s name – Mangesh (9892549377) who had called me and offered me this plan and told him that my new sim is now activated and I’m availing this Hotline plan. So please keep a check that when the bill is generated I’m not charged for the calls that I make to this Hotline number and the vice-versa. He said nothing like this would happen and I can relax. I had warned him that it should not happen that after that bill is generated I get all charges for calling this hotline number and then I’ve to run to Airtel gallery. He still convinced me that nothing like this would happen.
Hence, I was carefree, relying on the words of the associate Mangesh, and availed that hotline service. I made calls to this hotline number and even calls were made from that number to my number.

Apr’2008:
My bill gets generated. I receive my first bill after activating this hotline plan. And not a surprise at all, I was charged for all the calls that I made on my so called hotline number. And even that hotline number was charged for call made to my number. I was totally frustrated. I first called up that associate Mangesh. But that mobile number was coming switched off. Then I called up Airtel Customer Care 121. There I explained them my problem and what hotline plan I have taken and how I am suppose to get all the call to hotline number free. They took my complaint and raised a service request. This was the first SR that I raised. After few days I receive a call from airtel where they tell me that no such plan is activated for me, and I am not eligible for any such hotline plan. I fought with them on the call. I told them that why had they called me up and offered this plan. I have the receipt. A guy named “Narendra” had come to my office to pick the documents I have all the proofs. Then they did further enquiry and one fine day I receive a call from Pune head office that they have deduced Rs300 from my bill. I told them that this new sim card has got activated from 17th Mar’2008. And since them all the calls from and to that number are suppose to be free. So from when have they considered and how have to concluded to a discount of Rs300 only. She did not any answer and she said that she will call again. But that call never came back.

May’2008:
I went to airtel galary and raised another request. I again explained the associate that entire case and she raised the request again. Like this I have made 4 SRs till now. And Airtel has closed all of them mentioning that I will not be getting such offer.

In the mean time in the month of May’08 I received twice calls from Airtel Bhandup office, offering me this Hotline plan. I was so annoyed on them. I said I have already taken this plan, but I am being charged for all the calls that I make to the hotline number. Once it was a height, when that associate told me that this hotline plan is especially for 299 Celebration plan customers [my billing plan is 299 Celebration].

So the billing department was telling that there is no such hotline plan in airtel, some other associates said that this hotline plan is not available for specially my billing plan. In the mean time other associates of Airtel called me thrice in the month of April and May 2008 offering me the same Hotline plan which I had already taken in Mar’08 and was suffering its after effects.

Now I have got frustrated, and mentally harassed by Airtel. Every time a new associate talks to me, and I have to spend my energy in explaining me the entire Ramayana again and again. And now the associates don’t even listen to my complaint and entire case, and simply ask me to pay the outstanding amount, which I am not going to pay. Even that Mangesh’s mobile is never available. The billing department people keep calling at my home, and they speak so rudely and loud voice. They now say that they will send me a legal notice. I have told them that I am going to take this to Consumer Court.

I am ready to clear the payments if the bill is calculated correctly as per the hotline plan. I am suppose to get either
- That Hotline plan as it was offered to me, recalculate my Mar to Jul2008 bills accordingly, then I will continue with Airtel OR
- Airtel should return me my Rs599 with interest. As they offered me Hotline plan which later they deny to service. What ever bills from March to Jul’08 should be calculated as per Hotline plan and that amout I am ready to pay. And after which I will discontinue Airtel Service officially.

I am totally fooled by Airtel. They are misleading the customers. There no consistency between departments. One department calls the customers and offers them and registers them for some exciting plans, and later the billing department is unware of any such plan and charges the customer.

I have discontinued that airtel number. As anyways they have barred my outgoing on that number. They show my total outstanding as Rs2900. I have taken another number from another service provider till then.

Please help me. I want justice.

If you have all the proofs in hard copy, you can approach the consumer court before Airtel sending you legal notice for recovering dues. OR In most cases a threat to Airtel about going to consumer forum is enough to make them act! :evil:

Get in touch with the nodal officer and explain the situation to her/him. I am sure they will acknowledge the mistake and deduct the amount accordingly. And frankly, i should say u were taken for a ride by Airtel associates. U have mentioned that u are a corporate subscriber. They are already giving u various offers like office cug, free sms and reduced calls rates. Hence the special offers like hotline and addon packages will/can never be incoporated in a Corporate plan. Those packages are meant for normal postpaid subscribers.

I had a bitter experience too.They have lack of coordination between departments,their only motive is to make profits.😡

record the talk of next associate when they call you.. Let that be a proof for 'you can avail that so called plan' !Consumer forum? it takes years man !! Is there any email ID or online complaint booking for Consumer court ? If so, i have to do a few 😛One for BSNL.. always charge extra and reduce the same in next bill.. Why the hell i should pay them extra...last month bill they charged me around 425RS extra.... after paying online before duedate, they disconnected my phone last month saying they didnt recieve. After sending all the proof, they enabled and charged Reconnection fee 100+100 for two numbers in two consecutive days. (total 400). My Jodi number still having old tariff ! So another 25-50rs reduction there too !!Since i get detailed bill, i am seeing all that.. Many just pay what they see in the bill !

Doing ones homework before blindly jumping for the words of the associate seems like a much better option.

I'll give you 1 suggestion, which has always work for me..I never ever take connection from any associates..I always go to the Mobile shoppe (Vodafone Shop) and ask for the authenticity and then take the connection and I always insist on taking in writing before they activate any plan for me..

Yes, Airtel GPRS really sucks. I am using Blackberry with Airtel as service provider since last three months. Since this is my first experience with Both( Airtel & B_B) i chose the min plan of Rs. 250 for GPRS. Mainly i use it for emails. Last month i sent only 20 emails with not more than quarter page messages at the most. I get a fat bill of Rs. 2060/- for GPRS alone. Comes to 100/- Rs. per email.
When I questioned Airtel, one last email indicates the following sentence which is worth noting:"the Blackberry goes to the server every 15 minutes to check for any data in the email, this process is called 'Polling'. Further, Rs.0.50 paise is charged for 1KB." IN short for every 15 minutes u have to pay 0.50 paise whether you have the message or not.
Are u anyone having B-B experiencing this type of billing? This is unheard of. Does not happen anywhere in the world. Can anyone suggest the solution? Would very much appreciate. This mail from Airtel nodal officer has been received after a very long wait and arguments. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and solutions.

airtel is fooling everone since a long time,they disclose half information for their value added services and then charge the customer without their notice. Horrible! I have faced this for their gprs service where they didn disclose tha even data dlownload of 100 mb is on prorata which is actually 3.3 mb per day.

May i know how did you try to solve the problem? Or you had to pay whatever they demanded!I am in the process of collecting email replies to my queries. Got the first email from nodal officer- aittel. Now is my turn to raise more queries on their stand. Already done. Waiting for the reply. U will notice, Airtel and others ( Customer service) do not reply thru email. they always want to talk on phone so that they have the flexibility of the stand that they will take at a later date. If you have solved the problem to your satisfaction, it is great. Otherwise let all of us get to gather and do something about it.

"the Blackberry goes to the server every 15 minutes to check for any data in the email, this process is called 'Polling'. Further, Rs.0.50 paise is charged for 1KB."

There should be a option in the outlook, where in you can stop the service as" do not check for new mails automatically," I havent used BB ever but I have this option in my HTC touch,.

Don't waste your time with the nodal officer. I tried it once and I got no response. We get screwed everyday in this country by someone like Airtel. Just be more careful in future. Do you know the Latin term - Caveat emptor? This means 'buyer beware'. A totally must funda for Indian customers.

well, little patience has helped. I got the reply from Nodal officer,andhra and my reply is attached herewith on which i would like to seek your opinion. Would very much appreciate spending some time reading and thinking. To The Nodal Officer,Airtel, HyderabadHello,Thanks for the reply to my email dated 24th. Nov 2008. I have some queries to related to your reply and I raise simply because of your sentence in you mail “Should you require any further clarifications or assistance, please get in touch with us”My queries are stated below:1] You mention that “as per your rate plan Blackberry Charges @ 499 - corp, polling charges are applicable.” No where it was explained or stated that the polling charges will be applicable to you under this rate plan. First of all no where it is explained the meaning of polling charges. No where it was stated that you will be charged Rs. 96 per day ( Re. 1 per for every 15 minutes), whether you use GPRS services on phone or not.. NO one from your office told me or given me in explicit writing that “ Since u are opting for 499/-plan you shall be charged Rs. 96 per hour everyday of the month? This action completely lacks transparency in selling your sales services. Do you think any sensible person will opt for, (if this advice is given) for Rs.499/- plan? Do you still believe that your sales action in selling the plan of Rs. 499-/ was transparent? Please do reply to this simple question in the light of the TRAI regulation?The very basic rules and regulations of TRAI, which I quote below.“TELECOM REGULATORY AUTHORITY OF INDIA (TRAI)THE AUTHORITY COMMITS ITSELF TO PROTECT THE INTERESTS OF CONSUMERSConsumer friendly measures taken by TRAI:A Regulation has been notified for the purpose of laying down code of practice for metering and billingaccuracy, aimed at bringing transparency and minimize the incidence of billing complaints.Value Added Services:• No chargeable value added service shall be provided to a customer without his explicit consent..A Regulation has been notified on the quality of service of broadband services, which shall be effectivefrom 1st January 2007.2] To my second question, you would like to have the details to be forwarded. I have already given a copy of the bill to MS Sudha Madhavi at Jubille hills relationship center, which I request her to send it to you thru the copy of this mail marked to her.Upon receiving your reply, we can take the necessary action.3] You want to charge me B-Berry polling charges under an explicit understanding that you are being provided 24 hr. uninterrupted GPRS services. That was the explanation given to me. If 24 hr. connectivity of Black berry with its server is missing in my bill for over 33% of the days out of a total of thirty days, would you call this as uninterrupted 24 hr service? There has to be a different name to this type of service. If the interruption is going to be this frequent it was not at all conveyed to me at the beginning of the service either in writing or orally. You can as well calculate these percentages from the bill copy given to Ms. Sudha. In case you can’t get it from her, you can as well download from your system. Even if that cannot be done please let me know, I shall send copy to you by post.4] Regarding the forth question- your reply is not very satisfactory. Does this mean that previous bills are ignored for which I have already paid? A reply will be highly appreciated, so that we can get going.XXXX

The only best way to resolve your issue is to reach Head Office and not any Airtel relationship center.

Any serious issue can be sorted out sitting with expert at their head office relationship center.

If still the problem exist you can insist them to let Airtel High authority department handle your issue.

The only best way to resolve your issue is to reach Head Office and not any Airtel relationship center.

Any serious issue can be sorted out sitting with expert at their head office relationship center.

If still the problem exist you can insist them to let Airtel High authority department handle your issue.
Dude that problem of the thread starter was in April 2008. 😛