• Replies Replies 390
  • Views Views 30,637
I have no idea why, but look at my trace 🙁
Code:
Tracing route to google.com [216.58.203.14]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    34 ms     4 ms     7 ms  OpenWrt.lan [192.168.0.1]
  2     9 ms     9 ms    10 ms  110.226.143.255
  3     *       21 ms    11 ms  nsg-corporate-153.214.186.122.airtel.in [122.186.214.153]
  4     8 ms     6 ms     6 ms  116.119.52.131
  5    14 ms     7 ms     8 ms  72.14.212.48
  6    41 ms    49 ms    11 ms  216.239.57.17
  7     8 ms    13 ms     9 ms  172.253.77.23
  8     8 ms     7 ms     8 ms  hkg12s09-in-f14.1e100.net [216.58.203.14]

@Addicted_A1 gateway/backbone routers use a routing protocol called OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) with tables being updated automatically. Traces may vary from time to time. There are several such routing protocols each having its own advantages and disadvantages..you can read about them if you wish.

Don't worry too much...honestly for home broadband connections there's hardly any solution at our end., Every issue related to routing, speed, OLTs, fibre lines etc has to be umm..routed..to the service provider.

About the RX/TX optical signal strength if it varies so much there may be something wrong in the line...can you ask them to check and if required replace the incoming fibre? Ask them what they're doing to increase value and why it varies so frequently.

@Chip Rx value is fine -24.6852 constant they just installed a different router ZTE but problem still persist , they said they will look into it haven't closed the issue.
So my other frnds in same city have airtel fiber they get better connection in MBps so It must be problem nearby main box.

Last edited:
@Chip maybe changing the routing gateway to yours may work mine is 122.169.33.1 mumbai, How do i change it
I tried add ur gateway and forcing ipv4 but it goes through same gateway

Last edited:
@Addicted_A1 You can't control the gateway or route either for static or dynamic IP. The default gateway for you will be specified by Airtel. This is not like changing the DNS manually. Also in the trace route, 122.169.33.1 is not my gateway it is simply the 1st point on the route from my connection to the remote server.

IIRC there are 3-4 international gateways for India; Chennai, Mumbai, Kochi and I believe Agartala in Tripura. The first 3 are landing points for intercontinental under sea fibre cables, and I believe the 4th is for connecting NE India to SE Asia via Bangladesh. This may be outdated and I am sure given bandwidth consumption only going up we may have new landing points on both coasts. The closer you are to one of these gateways the lower the latency.

As I said before, we end customers have very little to no control over these parameters. Only Airtel can change them. And they won't unless they have a valid reason to do so.

@Addicted_A1 your gateway is mumbai instead of Lucknow? Mine is also Delhi not lucknow. Dont you get higher pings?

Thats weird. I was on lucknow gateway by default without static IP. It is static IP that made by gateway change. Their engineers from 121 can change gateway and assign new IP address. Try mailing them.

The real experienced engineers that deal with routing etc are in the data centre not out on the field. The ones on the field are mainly fresh recruits or at best chaps with a few years of experience with barebones training in telecom which I can tell you from experience is a vast field and can get complex. Don't blame them too much.

Also about your routing via Mumbai instead of Delhi..please stop to consider that a via Delhi route may be actually slower than a direct hop to Mumbai. 🙂 I am not saying telecom engineers in DCs don't make mistakes but they are far more aware of these things than us end customers.

You can't really make out, based on IP location data. Since a lot of times, these IPs are bundled registered under one address. One would call it Geo IPs.
Most people will get Google servers to Mumbai as long as the DNS is recieving the correct address.

Eg Airtel dns gives me - maa05s12-in-f14.1e100.net
While CF dns gives me - bom07s30-in-f14.1e100.net

Both having latency and location variation of about 20ms.

@Addicted_A1 Let Airtel sort it out man...it is an issue at their end. Now that you have raised a trouble ticket let them break their heads over it. It doesn't get resolved call 121 and tell them you'll disconnect if it isnt done.