• Thread starter Thread starter hifijay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 24,633

hifijay

Regular
ISP
bsnl
Airtel digital launches personal recorder-Entertainment-Media/Entertainment -News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Airtel digital launches personal recorder
2 Apr 2010, 0121 hrs IST,Meenakshi Verma Ambwani,ET Bureau

NEW DELHI: Airtel digital TV launched its personal video recorder (PVR) on Thursday, only the second DTH player after Tata Sky to do so. With a recording capacity of up to 100 hours and 160 GB hard disk, the direct-to-home (DTH) service from Bharti Airtel has priced the product at Rs 6,990. The recorder, which would allow viewers to record, pause or rewind live television, will be avaliable to the existing Airtel users for an upgrade at Rs 5,990.

"It’s a unique application that integrates television to mobile phones and will enable our consumers to use their cell phones to record television from anywhere,” said Ajai Puri director & CEO, DTH, Bharti Airtel. The consumer can access the recording facility by downloading the television programme menu on their cell phones, he added.

Globally, personal video recorders, also known as digital video recorders, have a significant market share. More than 30% of the content watched by the subscribers in the UK, USA, Japan and Australia is recorded television rather than live television.

"We believe that not only existing DTH subscribers would buy our digital TV recorder, but also high-end cable subscribers having LCD television are also likely to shift to PVRs," said Mr Puri. Globally, 35-40% of the new DTH subscribers buy personal video recorders. Mr Puri believes in the long term, India could see a similar growth.

Airtel digital TV Recorder is the new set-up-box from Airtel that lets you, for the first time in India, record your favourite TV programs from anywhere in the world and watch it anytime in MPEG 4 picture clarity. With exciting new features like mobile recording, easy series recording, 160 GB hard disk and the resume recording function; your TV viewing experience will never be the same again. '

What's Airtel digital TV Recorder

Some research leads me to conclude that the box is HD ready.

I was going to buy SUN HD, Now I think I'll wait as I do want HD + PVR😡

While the PVR does have a HDMI output, Airtel is not yet broadcasting HD signals and it would be better to wait till the start of broadcast to buy it if you are buying mainly for HD as the PVR's HDMI port may still only output SD, only over a HDMI cable

if it does have HDMI out that sort of make it somewhat future proof... compared to most STBs in the market today.

When i sent them a mail regarding the functionality of HDMI port in PVR, the reply i got was

Thank you for writing to us at Airtel Digital TV.

This is with reference to your e-mail regarding HDMI facility.

We would like to inform you that currently HDMI facility is not available with us but we are already in process to add the same and keep updating you accordingly.

For any further quires or issues kindly revert back to us or call our customer care number 12150 or 18001028080(toll free).

Though their advt. on the site clearly mentions HDMI as a feature of the PVR
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5416/27540272.jpg

May be HDMI output is not functional (I guess). But then they should have not mentioned in advt.

if they are highlighting it as one of the features, it should work as advertise. HD quality it may not be but it should work through HDMI cable!

We could only know when somebody actually uses it and update us all at IBF.May be Mr Admin could do the favour for us 😀

i did the experiment with airtel iptv. did not turn out to be that good. i have no use for a PVR seriously... i have stopped watching television completely. Airtel IPTV can be blamed for that.

So that means that once DD HD is launched in time for the commonwealth games, this STB will work?

HiThus the STB allows one to transfer the recordings, cos the one by Tata Sky doesn't & that was one reason i didn't went for it, say if we have already recorded 100 hrs of program & rather then delete this program we can transfer the already recorded program & empty the Hard Drive and start new recordingsSabir

What you can transfer your recordings to another hard drive? Is that true?