Airtel deploys Massive MIMO in Bengaluru and Kolkata to get ready for 5G

Making people fool in name of 5G and MIMO.
Long road before 5G see reality.
Tell me one handset which claims to be 5G ready. All PR shit and people buying it.
basically operators which have been deploying small cells, fibre connectivity & 4*4 8*8 or 64*64 MIMO antenna boxes are being said as future ready technology which could be used for future 5G deployment without any major additional investment.
but i don't think we need another 5G in India with less amount of costly data.
4G will be good after operators get sufficient spectrum & carrier Aggregation thing. would give 100+ mbps speed, who needs more than that to consume 1 GB in a day LOL 🙂

Last edited:
And i was hoping that airtel would offer 4g with 20mhz of bandwidth on band 3 after acquiring rest of 3.8mhz chunk from reliance or mts 🙁
So max they can use is 10mhz of band 3 to provide 4g in Haryana, right?
@raman07 after acquiring Telenor 5MHz liberalise spectrum in 1800 MHz would add additional capacity in some circles & TATA non+ liberalise spectrum which we've to see how airtel will get it on board.
the whole picture will settle in next 1-2 years after mergers & aquition between various operators.
spectrum in sub-ghz bands & Band 3 needs complete overhaul for 4 G deployment & this is the need of time but some operators like airtel are putting hurdles in-between.
*after voda idea merger they'll hold more liberalise spectrum then airtel & Jio combined.
in our India every operator hold small chunks of bandwidth in every band which is of no use because 4G & coming technologies require big chunks of spectrum withing same band.
this whole funda/drama of spectrum is very complicated in our telecom sector, just forget it & use the operator which gives you best coverage & speed.

5G will not only provide higher speed but also lower latency and probably cheaper because sending data over 5G gonna cheaper than 4g as Qualcomm said.

Last edited:
I have a question.
Do mobiles need to have multiple antennas to get the benefit of MIMO tech or MIMO supposed to be installed on the ISP tower only?
Like my Redmi note 3 show 2x2 MIMO while using idea 4g so if tomorrow idea upgrades its tower to have 4x4 MIMO. Will my redmi note 3 gonna support it or not?