Airtel charging for MNP SMS (1900)

• Thread starter Thread starter devangpatel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 5,232
ISP
Airtel 4G & LCO
Last month, I ported one of my Airtel postpaid number to Jio prepaid. When I got bill today, I was shocked to see that I was charged for sending SMS to 1900.

According to my previous experiences when I ported my personal Vodafone postpaid to Airtel I was not charged anything for sending SMS to 1900, also in case of Jio even with no balance prepaid I can send SMS to 1900.

Why Airtel is charging to send SMS for 1900.

Also can anyone confirm this?

I am editing my previous post here. According to TRAI a sender cannot be charged premium rates but ordinary rates can apply.

Last edited:
What is so surprising about it. For prepaid, every SINGLE operator including BSNL charges for SMS to 1900. Jio goes an extra mile and ensures that you WONT even get a porting code with balance in your account if you don't have an active pack which I think now costs 129 INR minimum.

Postpaid I wasn't aware of but like I said, there is no rule in TRAI against it

@sng_shivang I haven't read MNP TRAI rules yet. But in general Vi did not charged me for sending SMS to 1900. Also as posted earlier I can send 1900 SMS on my secondary Jio number which haven't been recharged since a year.

Edited: @socrates can you send TRAI MNP rules link here.

True I was not charged by Vodafone while using MNP to port to jio. But then I was on prepaid plan where 100 sms were free pre day. I am surprised that you postpaid plan dosnt have something similar.

@sng_shivang I haven't read MNP TRAI rules yet. But in general Vi did not charged me for sending SMS to 1900. Also as posted earlier I can send 1900 SMS on my secondary Jio number which haven't been recharged since a year.

Edited: @socrates can you send TRAI MNP rules link here.
I had to recharge my Jio number to send the message. Complained to PG Portal and their redressal officer also said the same thing.

Fun fact:
Got charged by Airtel to port out of their top tier Airtel Black Plan. lol

@panks21 Just like OP mentioned they charge you for sending SMS to 1900, no matter which plan you are on. This is their 'Premium' service.
Oh.. OK. I thought they charged you for exiting from Black Plan but you stayed with Airtel.
I am planning to stay with Airtel but will move some of the SIMs to prepaid which has low usage

@panks21 First debundle your Airtel Black Plan and then generate MNP.
MNP doesn't gets generated if you're number is a part of Airtel Black Plan and you get a message
Hi! Your request to generate the UPC for port-out of your Airtel No. XXXXXXXXXX could not be processed as your number is still in Airtel One Plan. Please deconsolidate your number from Airtel One Plan via Airtel Thanks App www.airtel.in/5/airtelthanks or at the nearest Airtel Store to request for port-out.
I did not get the UPC and still got charged.
Thanks to the 'Premium' service of Airtel.

I couldn’t send a port out code on Vi without an unlimited pack. So I timed my port out code a few days before my plan expired.