• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1,914

ortucis

OMG!
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL
I am on 128 kbps Unlimited connection and I get 18 kbps download speed during day, double at night. I USED to get these speeds since apparently Airtel decided that 16-18 kbps download speed is too fast for their definition of broadband and decided to cut it down to 6-12 kbps.

Now I download more than 1 GB data every day because of my work (indie game developer) and now I am REALLY pissed off at this bullshit. I used to think Sify was crap, overcharging for slow speeds and bullshit customer service.. but Airtel pulled Sify on me today (I had to ask the guy that came to fix the router for the slow speed issue since calling Airtel customer support is another lovely experience I can't bother with).

So anyways, I still have to use it till 24th and then I am moving over to MTNL. Considering every broadband service in India is really a modem service I might as well stick with MTNL here.

I found this forum while searching for MTNL plans and prices so if any of you guys have any recommendations on MTNL plan where I can download without any retarded download limit (I am happy with Night-time unlimited) at at least 30 kbps, please tell me. I live in Mayur Vihar (Phase-1, pocket 4) so any 'good' connections nearby?

Thanks.

go for Night unlimited plan TriB 749 NU it's one of the best plans available in all over India... :thumbsup:

Yeah, that was the one I was thinking about as well. What's the download speed with 2 MBps like? 9is it stable? do they over charge you at some point? what's the time for 'free' usage?) I am used to crapp 128 and 256kbps connectins with max 30 kbps download speed 🙁

speed is upto 2 mbps...speed depends on the source of ur download...my personal experience is 50 kBps to 225 kBps...they sure can overcharge u if u cross ur limit of 1.25 GB for the month...the free usage time is 12 am (midnight) to 8 am...and if u wanna make sure that u're not overcharged, u need to connect/disconnect 10 mins after/before the times mentioned, just to be on the safer side...look at the MTNL forum a bit more and you'll find out everything...speeds won't be real issue here till u have good sources... 🙂

I am on 128 kbps Unlimited connection and I get 18 kbps download speed during day, double at night. I USED to get these speeds since apparently Airtel decided that 16-18 kbps download speed is too fast for their definition of broadband and decided to cut it down to 6-12 kbps.

128kbps = 16 KBps

so they were giving you more speeds than they were supposed to.

128kbps = 16 KBps

so they were giving you more speeds than they were supposed to.

Nah (I know what the speeds are) it's more like a mix of good source to download and better TCP/IP tweaks than 99% of their users. At night (when the connection used to double to 256) I used to get 30-35 kbps from the same places most users would download at 30 kbps only.

Trust me, it's a lot worse for users who keep using it on default XP systems.

@coolbuddy_79
Thanks for the info. According to their site the "1.25 GB" is from 8am -12 pm? (right?) and at night-time (morning, 12-8 am) I get no download limits, right? (cause seriously, I downloaded 1 gb every day at that same time with 256 K.. with 2 MBps I will go crazy 😛).

Can you please confirm what times you get free and what times it's limited download. Also, let's say if I download more than 1.25 gb accidentally over free hours, that means the connection gets disconnected permanently? (even if they overcharge for extra download) So basically I will have to get a new connection for next day? (that happened with Sify once, I exceeded limit in one day and they told me my connection, for which I paid 700 bucks, is over).

EDIT: I DO play games like Quake Wars online as well, so that I can stick to during day time I guess.

According to their site the "1.25 GB" is from 8am -12 pm? (right?) and at night-time (morning, 12-8 am) I get no download limits, right?

right...

Also, let's say if I download more than 1.25 gb accidentally over free hours, that means the connection gets disconnected permanently? (even if they overcharge for extra download) So basically I will have to get a new connection for next day? (that happened with Sify once, I exceeded limit in one day and they told me my connection, for which I paid 700 bucks, is over).

ur connection won't get disconnected...u'll be charged @ Re. 1/- per MB when u've exhausted ur free 1.25 GB per month quota...