Airtel Broadband vs MTNL Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter narang9192
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 9,472
hehe. i waited for a couple of months. gave up. switched from 512k day - 1mbps night to 1mbps full time plan. did not ask about FUP because that would have caused additional depression.

@vebki am using MTNL from 3 yrs now, i dont remember single downtime in last 1yr. and even in previous 2 yrs downtime was very rare.

i have used both here's my view..1) Stability - MTNL is superstable but when compared to airtel..airtel is slightly better.2) Quality of service - Airtel has much better QoS with uninterrupted streaming and VoIP calls..for eg if u are downloading a file at full bandwidth and a VoIP call comes in, the download will automatically slow down giving priority to VoIP3) VoIP - Airtel blocks several Voice service providers, MTNL blocks none4) Speed - Airtel controls speed by software, MTNL by sync rate..result is that in Airtel there is no PPPoE overhead loss in fact if u have a 512 Kbps line u will get about 560-600 kbps. In case of MTNL for 512 K plan u will not get above 485 Kbps (based on syncrate of 576 and overhead loss of 16 %)5) Line quality - Airtel usually has better line quality resulting in better SNR and attenuation.6) Auto-Disconnection- MTNL every six hours..Airtel - i have been logged on for past 40 days7) Customer service - MTNL non existent..Airtel much better (relative). In case of MTNL the kind of CS u get depends on ur ability to pull a few strings or if u manage to get the number of the correct guy who happens to be cooperative..probs can be solved quickly or may take weeks.8) Latency - MTNL has better pings so its better for gamers.

i have used both here's my view..

1) Stability - MTNL is superstable but when compared to airtel..airtel is slightly better.
2) Quality of service - Airtel has much better QoS with uninterrupted streaming and VoIP calls..for eg if u are downloading a file at full bandwidth and a VoIP call comes in, the download will automatically slow down giving priority to VoIP
3) VoIP - Airtel blocks several Voice service providers, MTNL blocks none
4) Speed - Airtel controls speed by software, MTNL by sync rate..result is that in Airtel there is no PPPoE overhead loss in fact if u have a 512 Kbps line u will get about 560-600 kbps. In case of MTNL for 512 K plan u will not get above 485 Kbps (based on syncrate of 576 and overhead loss of 16 %)
5) Line quality - Airtel usually has better line quality resulting in better SNR and attenuation.
6) Auto-Disconnection- MTNL every six hours..Airtel - i have been logged on for past 40 days
7) Customer service - MTNL non existent..Airtel much better (relative). In case of MTNL the kind of CS u get depends on ur ability to pull a few strings or if u manage to get the number of the correct guy who happens to be cooperative..probs can be solved quickly or may take weeks.
8) Latency - MTNL has better pings so its better for gamers.

That was very comprehensive. Thanks for posting!

Airtel is not available to me.Anyways I am very happy with MTNL.It is better then any ISP I have ever used before(Hathway, Tata, Tikona, Reliance or sify)

MTNK's service in mumbai is excellent........i remember back in 2005 when the rains splashed the hell out of us.........their broadband got back within 3-4 days and never ever did it dis-connect for next 3yrs that i lived in mumbai..when i shifted in delhi,i contd with mtnl but my experience with them was very poor...........for 2mbps connection i never got more than 512kbps and there were frequent cut-outs.......after 2mths net would be dis-connected for most of the day and i was still billed for entire amt..........i got fedup and switched to Airtel and i am happy with it ever since.........Delhi bole to Airtel!

i havent ever faced any FUP on my 2mbps unltd airtel package...and i download like 200gb a month

i havent ever faced any Fair Usage Policy on my 2mbps unltd airtel package...and i download like 200gb a month
mtnl mumbai is best. people say mtnl cc is worst but i say it is the bestttttttttttttttttt.only you should speak politely. i had problem with speed upgradation.but cc guys were very helpfull and slved the problem in very quick time.mtnl roccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkksssssssssssss.😀😀😀😀😀😀:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Airtel has unlimited plans. Unlimited? If they have limited usage in their unlimited plans than how it is unlimited plan. In freedom 2999 plan they have 100 GB limit. After that ur speed will reduce to half. How come u r enjoying full worth of ur money. Any answers plzzzz...

mmm. they remain unlimited plans right? unlimited plans are unlimited plans no matter what speeds are there. on tata broadband FUP, customers are asked to move to a different plan with higher capacity or leave the service. i am not defending airtel here. but these remain unlimited plans. but with a fair usage policy.

Yeah. The Tata Broadband policy is shite. My friend had it and once he was told by them he immediately left them.As for Airtel, yes. Unlimted is unlimited. With FUP or wuthout FUP.

Im planning to change my broadband service...im currently using you telecom...Im on the 384 kbps unlimited plan...the only prob Im facing is that I cant play streaming videos without an interruption or it stopping in between..I spoke to one of their executives and they said u need to be on a dedicated line for that or need to take a connection of atleast 2 mbps....So now considering this factor is it advisable to change to Airtel or MTNL or should I just stick to you telecom.Customer Service is great and very responsive...any problem is taken care of within 24 hrs...only issue is cant play streaming videos smoothly on sites like youtube,dailymotion,metacafe...etc.Please advice.

youtube used to stream fine on 512kbps. but no longer. you need at least 1mbps to stream youtube videos fine in decent quality mode... just migrate to a faster plan on youtelecom... and it should be fine.

@sunny add &fmt=5 to the end of youtube video url, it will then use 256kbit encoded video, which should play fine on a 384kbps connection, if u want decent quality play back, then upgrade to a 1mbps connection