Airtel Broadband to double broadband speeds by June 2010 #airtelsucks

• Thread starter Thread starter AjayJP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,204
  • Views Views 169,807
Are you asking something or stating some facts? Airtel owns thousands of kms of fiber within the country. They ****ing didn't let people use it all this while. Even with all this hullabaloo about doubling speeds, less than 10% of their infrastructure would be used.

^^True!Airtel, Reliance and Tata are among the leading bandwidth providers of the WORLD.They can easily provide 10mbps UL to home users and still utilising only ~30% of their international bw!

They don't just own fiber within India, but also lots of Fiber to other countries. They own i2i, and are in 4 consortiums, including SMW4. They have literally terabits already at their disposal. I wouldn't be surprised if their wholesale cost of bandwidth is 10% of my cost.In my talks with Bharti, Tata and Reliance, none of them seem particularly interested in the consumer market: they'd much rather sell their much more expensive enterprise offerings.

@admin don't want to sound like a broken record, but will IPTV customers like me be also given minimum 512 kbps speeds?I downgraded to 1299 IPTV plan which has 384 kbps speeds.

no clue man. i upgraded to 1mbps all day long. my bill would be above 2000 bucks next month. i applied for the new plan 3 days ago. no change in speed during the day time till now. looks like the process of calling in and getting disappointed has just begun!

This is fantastic news, and it made my day. I think it is a step in the right direction for Airtel, and for broadband in India. I'm going to be checking my speed every day now waiting for it to double 😀

well the important thing is... are they doubling the fair usage value as well? or would i be stuck with 2mbps for just 100GB?

Yep. Unitl the customers make something of it, these companies will keep on looting the customers! Lets stand up for higher speeds!

Wait. What about the 2Mbps UL people who pay 2999 + taxes? Will we be upgraded? Or at least get a higher FUP?

This condition is mainly due to the low competition. There are only 3 main international bw holders in india, Airtel, Tata and Reliance(incl FLAG).Its like they formed cartel and everyone offers similar prices to the customers as well as other small ISPs who do not have any undersea cables..I have no idea why TRAI is not interested in internet and broadband penetration in india.

Forbes.com - Magazine Article

Airtel, Tata and Reliance are price fixing the bandwidth costs, also peering costs at NIXI are very high, which is causing local players not reduce the tariffs

Check the forbes article above, bandwidth cost will only reduce when the fourth player, singapore based Pacnet comes in and competes with tata, reliance and airtel

before checking daily for upgrades read this "The upgrades come at no extra cost to existing customers and will be completed by June 2010 pan India." ..f*ck*ng 3 months..what has Airtel become? grandma of MTNL?

The 3 months part is fine. The thing is they haven't specifically mentioned which plans will be upgraded!