Airtel Broadband: Slow speeds connecting to most servers hosted in US / Europe

• Thread starter Thread starter abhisekb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 4,258

abhisekb

ISP
Airtel
Hi,I am currently using Airtel Speed 1099 connection as my main internet connection. The Speedtest.net site shows that I am getting optimal speed when I use test server located in Mumbai. Download speed ~ 2MBps, Latency ~ 40msHowever since most of the time when I use internet I connect to servers hosted in US or Europe and face slow speeds, I wanted to benchmark the realistic scenarios. I tried using Speedtest.net speed test with servers hosted on London & Seattle and saw a huge drop in download speeds confirming the problem that I usually face while working. Download speeds~ 0.5MBps, Latency ~ 300msTesting this on a reliance mobile broadband also showed similar results, hence I am not sure whether it is a common problem that many people are facing. I suspect Airtel either has a problem at their gateway from Mumbai or is throttling my connection for international traffic. Contacting Airtel about this problem resulted in a customer care rep coming home soon and showing the speed to the Mumbai server and closing the call. They said that since the connection speed to the Mumbai server is fine, it is not an issue with the connection. Arguing more with them about the specific details was avoided as a futile exercise. Anyone else having similar problems with Airtel or Reliance mobile broadband?What do you suggest are the options that I have to resolve this issue? Regards,Abhisek

This is true for all ISP's. The speed promised is till the ISP end. TRAI also mandates the same.Multiple hops does slows down the speed.

The problem likely lies outside Airtel's network. Can you provide a traceroute to the servers in the US/Europe?From your command prompt, "tracert server_name".

get yourself a business plan, we have 512kbps at the office as backup line, costs about 2k per month, no FUP, and 512 up and down even to US and UK servers

but that line is going to go to US and UK through the same routes... traceroute is not going to change because of the plan you pick.

get yourself a business plan, we have 512kbps at the office as backup line, costs about 2k per month, no Fair Usage Policy, and 512 up and down even to US and UK servers

I thought the Business line connection can not be taken in residential areas and without a company....😛leasehelp:

I thought the Business line connection can not be taken in residential areas and without a company....😛leasehelp:

Its actually the other way round. we cannot take residential connection with a office address. i was trying to bargain with airtel sales rep, to get our current plan charges reduced, as residential plans got lot cheaper now. they just say that business plans are different and contentions ratios/bandwidth allocated for business plans are different from residential plans, so they cannot reduce the plan charges