Airtel Broadband: Should i go for airtel USB for my laptop?

• Thread starter Thread starter lakshmipathi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 16,915
Hi Just Tested Airtel GPRS thru Cinki Phone dialed by Wvdial on Hardy Heron. It's working perfectly.:yahoo:. I think your USB "MUST" work on linux.

its hard to get support for linux for any connection that requires a customized software to log in...

we have seen the same with sify broadband...

am not sure if you would be able to use tata usb net connection on linux.

You can make TATA USB CDMA modem ("plug and surf"?) work straight
away on linux . Several have documented procedures ( e.g. on Ubuntu forums), you should find them immediately you search for a solution.

Even if there is no documented solution, you have a fair chance of making any modem ( except a softmodem ) work quickly in linux by going into the silly windows application they supply you on the CD to start your connection( unfortunately you generally have to boot into windows for this ...unless you are particularly determined to remain untainted :O).
and note down relevant info from some "settings/options/preferences" dialog
(e.g. number to dial, user, passwd) and then set up a linux dialer such as wvdial to connect you up. There are many examples of using wvdial or similiar
on the net.
You can generally find a modem log in windows - and if you "diagnose/test" the modem device you will get some useful modem info in this log file that should help you quickly google a solution on the web. A log will also contain the connection dialogue with the network server which is generally another way of obtaining the number to dial, user and password and to see if any additional commands need to be sent.

As others have noted on this thread, even for "soft modems" ( that rely on
host processing to encode and decode transmit symbols ) it is normally possible to run the windows driver in linux with ndiswrapper.

Of course it will probably always be easier to remain clicking inside Windows, but if , like the originator of this this thread, you prefer to use Linux for any of countless good reasons, then you will find a slicker better product evolving
almost daily - and a huge and growing community of helpful fellow users out
there to support you.

PS I think there are conversations about a lot of different "USB modems" on this thread... the vaguely lucid are at least talking about airtel ones , two or three about airtel E/GPRS modem.

Tata Indicom supports Linux ..its written on the package one of my friend has it

It is a pity that AIRTEL (and Micromax) are not providing Linux support. It is not a huge work for them, it is simply a matter of attitude. Why should we be forced to use one proprietary OS ? I have talked to Airtel, emailed them and to Micromax. Airtel did not reply. Micromax replied, they have sent the matter to their technical department. No response after that from them.

good work.....u can try google blog search to find how to for airtel

If users chase them, there is chance that we get support in Linux
The email ids are of Micromax, manufacturer of the Modem MMX 610U
and Airtel. Airtel's email-id on site adc.support@airtel.in does not work

info@micromaxinfo.com
bb.support@airtel.in

yup...in the past linux freaks have done dat...shawn at linux journal has raised the issue quite a few times...people have emailed 2 lenova and Dell for linux on laptops...and got a response....

You should also keep on calling Airtel 7070 (toll-free from airtel mobile), ask for their boss, and highlight the problem.I did one follow up today.

U can create a dedicated thread with all the details

If you are using linux you must be knowing it's not click>next>next>next>finish...(mental block, you don't think)

While in linux go to command and do everything yourself!!!

About TATA thingy, tata doesn't give any installer for linux. you gotta configure it yourself.

For airtel, Well If I can make my Idea GPRS work on CHINA MOBILE phone (On Hardy Heron) then AirteL USB "MUST" also work, you just need to do everything manually.

WVDial.conf edit it with all the settings for Airtel (Extra Initiation command should be entered in int3 that is AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com","",0,0)

scan all the USB devices once you have inserted it and see on which port your USB modem is being recognized...mostly it's ttyACM0

If not then do lsusb command and you can find out device ID and wirte the driver yoruself which is not tough. and it will work.

Can you please tell how to get Idea mobile to work in ubuntu. what setting did you use. Im trying to set it up but no luck yet

what to do?

Thanks