Airtel Broadband - Public Or Private Ip's?

• Thread starter Thread starter zewarrior
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 25,074

zewarrior

ISP
Airtel 999
Have a query thats been bugging me for a while now. I'm in Delhi and recently had a chat with Airtel Customer support. Was enquiring whether they assign public IP's to their Home based plans i.e. Home 699 and Home 999. The support guy denied this and told me they assign private IP's only. Some people on other forums contradict this and say they get public ip's albeit being dynamic. So whats the real deal here? Public ip's or private? People on Airtel Broadband in Delhi please respond.

public .....tats what i know

QUOTE(avinds @ Aug 12 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]58306[/snapback]
public .....tats what i know
[/b]

I need definite information dude!

QUOTE(consensus @ Aug 12 2006, 04:48 PM) [snapback]58322[/snapback]
wt is this discussion about? i din get it.
[/b]

The question i am asking is whether you get a PUBLIC IP Address or a PRIVATE IP Address assigned to you by Airtel. I know its dynamic.
To know more about Public and Private IP's read about NAT (Network Address Translation) - (Network Address Translation) An IETF standard that allows an organization to present itself to the Internet with far fewer IP addresses than there are nodes on its internal network. The NAT technology, which is implemented in a router, firewall or PC, converts private IP addresses (such as in the 192.168.0.0 range) of the machine on the internal private network to one or more public IP addresses for the Internet. It changes the packet headers to the new address and keeps track of them via internal tables that it builds. When packets come back from the Internet, NAT uses the tables to perform the reverse conversion to the IP address of the client machine.
More here - hxxp://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=NAT&i=47635,00.asp

Private IP's are -
10.0.0.0 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 192.168.255.255

QUOTE(aniketvb @ Aug 12 2006, 09:29 PM) [snapback]58352[/snapback]
Airtel gives you PUBLIC IP.
[/b]

Dude...can you support that statement you gave with an ipconfig /all screenshot ?! And I am specifically talking about HOME plans i.e 699 and 999 and not Business plans.

QUOTE(zewarrior @ Aug 13 2006, 12:33 AM) [snapback]58369[/snapback]
Dude...can you support that statement you gave with an ipconfig /all screenshot ?! And I am specifically talking about HOME plans i.e 699 and 999 and not Business plans.
[/b]
No, he has answered correctly

and i will support the assertion too.

that...

the IP given by Airtel does *not* fall in the below ranges which are private IP addrs.

10.0.0.0 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 192.168.255.255

If you are concerned there is a shortage of IP addrs etc and Airtel might be giving out non-routable addresses, then there is no need to worry. They tend to kick you off after maybe 12(?) hrs on an IP addr but connections renew immediately after, the IP addr most likely changes at this time.

Like i said before I talked to Airtel Tech Support and he replied in the negative. By the way I am talking abt Delhi alone!blr_p>> What IP is assigned to your DSL Modem/Router ?

QUOTE(zewarrior @ Aug 13 2006, 01:39 AM) [snapback]58373[/snapback]
Like i said before I talked to Airtel Tech Support and he replied in the negative. By the way I am talking abt Delhi alone!
blr_p>> What IP is assigned to your DSL Modem/Router ?
[/b]
Whoever you spoke to does not know what the heck he is talking about ?

No way do they give out private IPs, does not matter where in the country you are.

Well , Airtel uses standard DSL . and AFAIK , DSL uses PPPOE methods and these normally assign you a public ip address , unless airtel has gone to lengths to configure an internal network based on PPPOE.The tech support guy may have said so to discourage you from hosting websites etc and push their costlier business plans coz he must have thought you need to host sites since you asked about public IP...so the tech support guy may be not such an idiot after all!!!

This is what Tech Support said - Your DSL modem/router is assigned 192.x.x.1 and your PC then gets 192.x.x.2. In fact the local Airtel reseller said the same thing. He said its the same all over Delhi. Someone please post a screenshot of ipconfig /all ... hiding the last octet of your ip if you please.

@zewarrior you are totally confused. Let me make the things clear. The 192.x.x.1 to pc and 192.x.x.2 to computer are both behind the NAT. When the modem connects to your ISP then it is assigned a PUBLIC Dynamic IPAddress(for airtel its either 125.x.x.x or 59.x.x.x or 61.x.x.x). Now this IP address assigned to you is called the Public IP becasue it is this address which is visible to others on the internet. You routers IP & your Pc's IP 192.x.x.1 & 192.x.x.2 are not visible on the internet becasue they are behind the NAT. Most systems using NAT do so in order to enable multiple hosts on a private network to access the Internet using a single public IP address. What it means in this case you can connect 2 computers on your airtel router and they will be sharing the Public IP address(which is assinged to the router) but will have their own private Adresses i.e 192.x.x.2 & 192.x.x.3).There is also another way to configure the connection i.e. DHCP. In this case your PC will be assigned the Public/Dynamic IP address directly and there will be no NAT. but you cannot connect more than 1 computer in this way. To use more than 1 computer on single IP address you have to use the first method. If you get a bussiness plan then you router will be assigned a Staic IP (instead of the Dynamic IP's) which will be from the range of Private IP's. I hope this clears the confusion 😉

QUOTE(real_india @ Aug 13 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]58407[/snapback]
@zewarrior you are totally confused. Let me make the things clear. The 192.x.x.1 to pc and 192.x.x.2 to computer are both behind the NAT. When the modem connects to your ISP then it is assigned a PUBLIC Dynamic IP
Address(for airtel its either 125.x.x.x or 59.x.x.x or 61.x.x.x).

Now this IP address assigned to you is called the Public IP becasue it is this address which is visible to others on the internet. You routers IP & your Pc's IP 192.x.x.1 & 192.x.x.2 are not visible on the internet becasue they are behind the NAT. Most systems using NAT do so in order to enable multiple hosts on a private network to access the Internet using a single public IP address. What it means in this case you can connect 2 computers on your airtel router and they will be sharing the Public IP address(which is assinged to the router) but will have their own private Adresses i.e 192.x.x.2 & 192.x.x.3).

There is also another way to configure the connection i.e. DHCP. In this case your PC will be assigned the Public/Dynamic IP address directly and there will be no NAT. but you cannot connect more than 1 computer in this way. To use more than 1 computer on single IP address you have to use the first method.

If you get a bussiness plan then you router will be assigned a Staic IP (instead of the Dynamic IP's) which will be from the range of Private IP's.

I hope this clears the confusion 😉
[/b]

Yes dude...i know how NAT works. So if its NAT they are using then the PUBLIC IP is your WAN IP and its not yours alone, many users on that range will be assigned that same PUBLIC IP (WAN IP)...correct? Also please .. please post a screenshot of the command ipconfig /all when you have connected to the ISP. That shld clear all my doubts.

Posts #13 explains this very clearly..Airtel gives you public IP Addresses.The fact that you can host a website on the ip address is prove enough that the ip is public..how would it be possible to host a website if all of us shared the same IP