Airtel Broadband: Netgear Router problem

• Thread starter Thread starter punter18
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 6,398

punter18

ISP
Airtel
Ever since I bought the Netgear wireless router and connected it to my Beetel 220BXI, I have never been able to forward my ports properly. UPnP method of forwarding ports sometimes work, but that, too, fails more often than not.Does anyone know how to configure Netgear Router with the Beetel LAN router? Also, can I make a deal with Airtel to install a wireless ADSL instead in exchange of both Netgear as well as the Beetel router? Of all the things I do on the Internet, downloading is the most important of them all, which means properly forwarding the ports is a must (for uTorrent, but especially for eMule).I hope someone throws some positive light on my second question than on the first. :grin:

Sorry about the late reply,
let me answer your second question 1st......
no you can make any deals with airtel about exchange of Netgear router.
now your main concern with port forwarding.
if you have tried Port forwarding on netgear but are not sure if you have done it properly then goto PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall and check the guide there.
As an easier alternative you could use DMZ host option as shown in the SS.

http://img137.imageshack.us/i/dmz.jpg/

The IP address will depend on you what IP you computer has, you can find that by doing few simple steps....

Start Menu >>> RUN >>> TYPE cmd >>> TYPE ipconfig
>>>> IP address = your computers IP( which you have to enter as DMZ server.🙂

Good Luck!

Thanks a ton Mac!!! :clap: That worked like a charm!!! Now I need not think of making a deal with Airtel after all! How are reps added, BTW? I do not know, really. 😀 But thanks again man, you saved me a lot of money because if this wouldn't have worked I would have bought a separate wireless router from airtel even if my offer wouldn't have worked.Edit: I meant DMZ method. Out of curiosity, just in case I use another p2p application, I need not forward my ports anymore? All my ports are open now, right?

DMZ = DeMilitarized Zone.Its purpose is to forward from one computer on the router, making that computer exposed. Its actually supposed to be a little bit risky as the exposed computer is more easily visible to the outside networks. Still if you have a good firewall and a good anti spyware/ anti virus then you really dont have anything to worry about unless your computer has data on Global Nuclear reserves. (jk)Yes, you don't need to forward any ports once DMZ is used as it forwards all ports from 1-65534.I have used DMZ for 5-6 yrs now without any issues, (I use online virus/spyware scanner with windows firewall and have had no virus or spyware issues yet).🙂The website has changed since I last gave reps. I believe its under the members pic somewhere...maybe Admin can answer this better. 😀

Yeah, I got to know how to add them through the site's FAQ, and gave you one (only one rep is allowed per post, otherwise I would have given you more :wewin🙂Actually, DMZ did not work until I forwarded the ports in the Beetel Router (192.168.1.1) first. Only then I enabled the DMZ option in Netgear router (10.0.0.1) and it worked. So aren't all my ports open just yet? Just curious. I wouldn't really care about my security as long as I am on a high-id in eMule. That's the only thing that matters. 😀

Alrite now your setup is unusual or seems to be.If you have both beetel and Netgear in ur network then your setup should be like this. Beetel running in bridge mode attached with netgear.PPPOE of netgear will be used, so the airtel US ID and pass is entered in netgear.Netgear LAN IP should be 192.168.1.1 (10.0.0.1 is fine also), 192.168.1.1 won't conflict with Beetel because Beetel is in bridge mode.Note - In bridge mode all ports/services get forwarded automatically.To setup Beetel in bridge mode edit the WAN connection instead of PPPOE choose Bridge. (Simple)Put ID and Pass in Netgear in Basic setting... choose ISP as other. ("My ISP requires LOGIN").NOW set DMZ.....😀

To setup Beetel in bridge mode edit the WAN connection instead of PPPOE choose Bridge. (Simple)

Well, Mac, as soon as I ticked on "Bridged" and "save/reboot" my router, the data light on Beetel router failed to show up.... 🙁 So I had to go back to my previous setting of PPOE and enter the router username and password again, and then the data light showed up.

Something's fishy here. Please help.

Well Data Light should not be on all the time when router is in bridge mode.Its supposed to flash on and off when there is some internet activity.(FLOW OF DATA).If you don't want to change your setup then let it be. Instead of Port forwarding you could Just put the DMZ host as you Netgear IP (10.0.0.1) in Beetel NAT settings.🙂

Yeah, right. I got the job done anyway. 😉 Thanks.Did you read any book on networking? Some course or something? 😀

CCNA, MCSCE. 2yrs with ISP. But what matters most is practice.:thumb:Though I wanted to ask you if you are using DHCP on Beetel or have just manually assigned IP in Netgear Basic settings?I have noticed that if i put the secondry IP in Beetel set as Netgear Lan IP (10.0.0.1) then I'm able to access both firmwares simultaneously.This setup is definitely more beneficial as it gives easy access to both routers.Reps are added by clicking on the weighing scale icon on the right side top. Next to the post number on which u want to give rep.Rep are appreciated thanks.🙂

Sorry for the late reply. I have PM'ed you the screenshots of my router settings.I think I should give it a pass, setting Netgear's LAN IP as a secondary one in Beetel. Though one problem that I sometimes am facing with DMZ method is that LAN IP address of Netgear router changes automatically (from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.2 or .3) for some reasons unknown to me. I guess I should also enable the DMZ option in Beetel router as well? As you suggested. As such I am having access to both the routers, so would you still suggest feeding Netgear's LAN IP as Beetel's secondary?

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8150/23146534.png
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/3494/Netgear.png

beetel has LAN IP as 192.168.1.1 by default.
netgear also has same but once it encounters same IP in use it will switch its LAN IP to 10.0.0.1

under basic settings:-------
change the dynamically get IP from ISP to manually put 192.168.1.2 in netgear.
Then goto beetel and uncheck the dhcp in it under LAN settings.
now ur netgear router will only have a fixed WAN IP = 192.168.1.2.......... ( LAN IP OF NETGEAR IS 10.0.0.1)
now in DMZ inside beetel put 192.168.1.2

your computers IP will be 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.0.3 etc...
put this IP in DMZ inside netgear.

So dmz host of netgear is ur comp.
and dmz of beetel is netgear.
beetel forwards all ports to netgear and netgear to ur computer. thats all.

PS-----KEEP YOUR PMs OPEN SO YOU CAN RECIEVE A REPLY.😡

That fixed the problem - I hope - I encountered today, yet again.Thanks again and reps added. Also changed the PM settings. 🙂