Airtel Broadband is now offering 100mbps plans in Chennai

• Thread starter Thread starter bintop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 7,048
^ Fiber is only being deployed in new sites where Airtel doesn't own any copper assets. Greenfield deployment, not area, means it is being built from scratch rather than building over the existing network.

Hello All, Airtel FTTH first hand experience in Bangalore is AWEFUL. & ANNOYING... Submitted forms on 29th August. No update till 5 days then suddenly call comes from DSA on confusion on plan which i had chosen. Then he logs in my form and Airtel installation guy calls on 6th september and install just Fibre to Home cable ONLY. yes i repeat ONLY. On 7th after stiff followup, he comes and install Router & ONU(optical network Unit). ONU seems used and second hand from Huwaie. Wifi router is D-Link. NOW here start the circus, It took some 45 min for him to activate line as FTTH connection in our area is new and activate page throws Errors, 2ndly landline activation is unsuccessful and he struggles tooth and nail and leaves from my house only to be told that Landline will activated later and it is not in his hand. Now in front of him i did speed test and to my surprise Sales DSA has put some 40Mbps plan instead of 100 mbps. I called up sales DSA who seems to be local cable operator turned Airtel franchisee and Mafia Don and he gives some bullshit reason and blabber and behave rude and tells me that i have given only 1000 Rs for connection and for FTTH it is 3000 and now plan will have to be changed. i was very annoyed and started shouting on him and again he cuts the line. I had clearly selected 100 mbps 180 GB plan for 1499 and they have activated same price 40mbps. Not sure how is it possible same money but different speeds...
Now i am left with non working landline and lesser speeds even with FTTH line. Airtel CC is slow and works on snail speed. complaints have been taken but no body calls back from Airtel.

Please guide and suggest?

Terrible way they dealt with you. Highly unlike airtel being so unprofessional.

As far as the connection goes, I would assume the connection is directly with airtel and not a re-seller? If yes, lodge a complaint directly with customer care, they will bring that retard "mafia don" back into line. FTTH will easily support the 100Mbps, just tell them what plan you opted for and what you have been given. They have most likely not provisioned the ONT for the correct plan.

I paid airtel a sum total of Rs. 0 for install, they had an offer if I switched from my existing provider, the install is waived off, which was Rs. 1000.

As for your non working landline, again complain about it to customer care. Since your connection is FTTH, the telephone settings need to be provisioned into the ONT by airtel's backend. Its like VoIP, but you can plug your landline phone into the ONT and get it working.

@Karan, Landline is connected to ONU and getting engaged tone. If i try calling my airtel landline no. it gets disconnected immediately . Reason given is some 'Scripting" issue on activation page in backend for FTTH landline and team is working on to resolve it.

Secondly on speed front looks like DSA agent has not opted for 100mbps plan and selected DSL 40mbps plan for same price but given me FTTH connection... its like going on Airbus 320 but standing in pantry area and not on resevered seat.... Now DSA asked me to request for bill plan change after 48 hrs of landline activation.

What is annoying is DSA rude behaviour, continuous change in versions and slowness in Airtel complaints followup. Till today no body has called from airtel for asking the problem. two complaints have been registered, one for installing and it is closed and second on bill plan issue which is pending for closure...

Whatever this "scripting" issue is I don't know. What is puzzling is the time taken. I had reset my ONT a few months, what I didn't realize was the landline settings are stored in it manually by airtel and don't get restored like the internet settings by the server. I had to call them to do it. It took less than an hour for the to set it back up with the advice to not reset it again. LOL!

The speed being setup for 40Mbps and not 100Mbps is puzzling, you say he has not opted for 100Mbps? Isn't it you who opts for the plan? Airtel provisions whatever is the max speed the plan offers and your line can support. Since this is FTTH, even 100Mbps isn't going to "max" the line, so why did they do only the 40Mbps then?

If they haven't called back, please call them up and follow up on it. If the guy gives you a run around ask for the manager/supervisor. Make noise till you get heard!

cooltexas can i know which area this is taking place on bangalore ? is it arehalli ?

Droid, work happened in Yelahanka area. BBMP/Local MLA are troubling Airtel. Fibre poles were removed in some lanes based on some complaints from Resident/local MLA.