Airtel Broadband Fibrenet FTTH Plans for Delhi NCR!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 90
  • Views Views 44,134
i do not have it in writing from airtel as they usually do not do so at least with me. but i have just been told on phone that the upload speeds on all the FTTH plans is 1mbps.

1 mbps? What a shame.

I was thinking that if 100 mbps plan offered 10 or 20 mbps or more upload speed then I'll start backing up all PCs in my office to Amazon cloud every day. There are so many things that can be moved to cloud provided decent upload speeds are available. I guess, we Indians are destined to live in dark ages for decades to come.

Looks like by limiting upload speeds on FTTH plans, they are trying to protect the revenue that they earn from leased lines for which they charge an arm and a leg from the customers.

i assume ftth plans still have nothing on leased lines because for businesses sla is very important. and ftth plans would not have it.

i assume ftth plans still have nothing on leased lines because for businesses sla is very important. and ftth plans would not have it.

A few people I know are using leased lines in their offices not because they need solid SLA but just because they need upload speeds that are not offered on cheaper ADSL connections.

for how long is the question. once the network is congested, it is going to be back to square one.

A few people I know are using leased lines in their offices not because they need solid SLA but just because they need upload speeds that are not offered on cheaper ADSL connections.

well in any case, using a home connection in a business establishment is not allowed.

for how long is the question. once the network is congested, it is going to be back to square one.

well in any case, using a home connection in a business establishment is not allowed.

AFAIK, there is no longer any difference in prices for Airtel home and business ADSL plans now a days. Business users get a free static IP for the same price and that is the only difference.

I have connections on both Airtel "Home" and "business" broadband plans active in my office.

There is a MTNL home plan also active in my office. So both Airtel and MTNL have no problem in offering "home" plans to "business" users.

even 4g connections have around 15mbps upload speed.

Here in the center of Delhi, I'm getting 75 kbps download speed on Airtel 3G connection as on today. Last year it used to be just under 2 mbps. This is what overselling and network congestion has done to Airtel 3G network or may be Airtel has deliberately slowed down the download speeds to ensure that people never get to use what they are paying for, which in my case is around Rs 250 for 1GB of download on prepaid.

There is no reason why similar slowdown will not happen in Airtel 4G network. Just wait for 6 months or so.

The thing about Airtel is that they already have connections, so upgrading your existing DSL connection to Fibre isn't that much of a stretch. The infrastructure is exactly the same up to a certain point.

While I don't know the exact specifics of Airtel's network, in all probability it would merely involve a new line from your house to where ever their fibre distribution cabinet is (probably right next to the existing DSLAM and connected to the same backhaul fibre that's already in the ground)... this new line only needs to extend as far as the building's basement or perhaps somewhere along your street or even a couple of blocks over depending on where their actual equipment is.

Better still, even if it's a couple of blocks, on the assumption that they weren't complete idiots when the built the original DSL network, blowing Fibre through existing conduits isn't that hard and doesn't involve too much digging (in many cases, none at all).

Airtel & most other players already have fiber networks. The thing is these aren't complete fiber networks like FTTH (Fiber to the home). It's a combination of fiber and copper cables as of now. With FTTH, the fiber line is coming directly up to your router.

Airtel & most other players already have fiber networks. The thing is these aren't complete fiber networks like FTTH (Fiber to the home). It's a combination of fiber and copper cables as of now. With FTTH, the fiber line is coming directly up to your router.

...he says to a man building an FTTH network...

Yes, I know what they have and I'm very well aware of what an FTTH network entails.

What I was saying is that because of the existing cabinets [where their current fibre terminates in a DSLAM] and conduits, blowing new fibre from the street to the building, splitting it in the basement and running the cable up to the apartment won't take too much time because very little digging is required and all that would be required is to replace or supplement the DSLAM with an OLT suitable for whichever type of network they propose to build (god I hope it's GPON rather than EPON). Most cabinets will take both and they've already got the electricity supply.

Due to these factors, the stretch for them to upgrade your existing DSL line to FTTH is a lot smaller than you might imagine because they already have a very large amount of plant already in place. And with a team the size of Airtel's (many thousands) they can get more done in less time than say, my team of

When i call airtel for Fibrenet 15 GB or Rapid 15 GB plan they say these plans are not yet available ! Then why the hell have they uploaded the new plans on their website !

lol. from what i hear.. the fibrenet plans are only available in few societies in gurgaon. i guess they laid down these fibers in these new societies as a test.

ARE PLANS TO THEEK HAI but tell me does is work good m switching to fibrenet 15gb and i expect much lower pings and much higher speed bcz when i asked those ppl i want to migrate my plan to fibrenet 15gb they said no wires will be changes they will just connectm the copper cable to Fibre in the DP and no need for ethernet cable for that ! plz help ! should I take that plan bcz a freind said FTTH is good as long as they give u ethernet cable instead of copper (dsl wala) !

Alright. You seem to be the first documented user in that case 😛 Pings are bound to be lower. Where in NCR are you ?

Also, if they are going to connect the phone line to copper, I'm not sure if thatd be FTTH, or even fttb.More like fttn/fiber to the cabinet. So, speed limitations are bound to exist. Itd be great to have mgc, give some insight on this !

Alright. You seem to be the first documented user in that case 😛 Pings are bound to be lower. Where in NCR are you ?

I LIVE IN RAJA GARNDEN near rajouri garden
and i think it is FTTH since on the website its written FTTH sites only