airtel broadband: connection drops despite copper wire being changed!

• Thread starter Thread starter breakyo
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 73
  • Views Views 23,322

breakyo

Regular
ISP
bharti airtel
hi ๐Ÿ™‚ members of this forum and moderators, I am using airtel broadband,wi-fi modem : 450 bx1 adsl + routerNumber of computers connected : 2 ( 1 laptop + 1 desktop)laptop connected wirelessly to the modem and desktop wired.current broadband plan : night timings - 1 mbps and day timings 512 kpbpsthe issue i was experiencing since many weeks : drop in connection, the connection would drop, and modem would restart, then after complaining the broadband engineer suggests change of copper wire and it was done, since then the connection has improved no doubt, but I still get logged out of messengers, chat rooms ( not just one, but many chat rooms), so I can be sure the problem is not with one particular chat room, though the modem doesn't restart now. but still there is disconnection atleast 2 times in an hour. which is very annoying because I get logged out of chat rooms and have to re-connect.i think I would like a connection without any disconnections, a stable connection, where I remain connected to chat rooms and messengers and other services ๐Ÿ™‚ so please suggest me where the problem might be and what is the solutionthank you

hi ๐Ÿ™‚ members of this forum and moderators, I am using airtel broadband,wi-fi modem : 450 bx1 adsl + routerNumber of computers connected : 2 ( 1 laptop + 1 desktop)laptop connected wirelessly to the modem and desktop wired.current broadband plan : night timings - 1 mbps and day timings 512 kpbpsthe issue i was experiencing since many weeks : drop in connection, the connection would drop, and modem would restart, then after complaining the broadband engineer suggests change of copper wire and it was done, since then the connection has improved no doubt, but I still get logged out of messengers, chat rooms ( not just one, but many chat rooms), so I can be sure the problem is not with one particular chat room, though the modem doesn't restart now. but still there is disconnection atleast 2 times in an hour. which is very annoying because I get logged out of chat rooms and have to re-connect.i think I would like a connection without any disconnections, a stable connection, where I remain connected to chat rooms and messengers and other services ๐Ÿ™‚ so please suggest me where the problem might be and what is the solutionthank you

Line attenuation is rather high, but nothing exceptional.Your problem is definitely from the back end.You could double check if you don't have parallel phones which are not filtered.The splitter/ filter should be used on direct line and then phone output should be made parallel. Once you have ensured this then get after Airtel to sort your issue out. Some cordless phones may also create problems with DSL. Disconnect any cordless phones and then see if connection drops ( or remove phone altogether)The more you try the more you will narrow down to the exact cause.๐Ÿ˜›

What part of the wire have they changed? Is there any bleeding of the signal in b/w the exchange to your place? I think they have methods to determine these kind of faults. Contact the CC again with your problem, they'll get the line checked and solve your problem.

The first thing to check is whether your ADSL line is going down or not when you have this problem. Have a look in your modem logs to see if this is happening. Let me know and we can proceed further with troubleshooting.

----------

Also, are you having this problem from both the wireless laptop and from the desktop PC?

What part of the wire have they changed? Is there any bleeding of the signal in b/w the exchange to your place? I think they have methods to determine these kind of faults. Contact the CC again with your problem, they'll get the line checked and solve your problem.

Hi Apoorv, thanks for reading my thread and replying ๐Ÿ™‚, I am not sure what part of the wire they have changed, the broadband engineer will arrive in a few mins to determine the fault, will ask him, what part of the wire has been changed.

Line attenuation is rather high, but nothing exceptional.
Your problem is definitely from the back end.
You could double check if you don't have parallel phones which are not filtered.
The splitter/ filter should be used on direct line and then phone output should be made parallel. Once you have ensured this then get after Airtel to sort your issue out.

Some cordless phones may also create problems with DSL. Disconnect any cordless phones and then see if connection drops ( or remove phone altogether)
The more you try the more you will narrow down to the exact cause.๐Ÿ˜›

Hi there, Mac! ๐Ÿ™‚ . thanks for replying to my post. Well, after lodging many complaints to the airtel helpine (121) I was told it would be checked if the problem is there in the backend. Yes I have checked the splitter is used on direct line and then phone output is made parallel. don't have a cordless phone. I have called up 121 y'day again and the broadband engineer is supposed to come today, to check the problem again. ๐Ÿ™‚

----------

The first thing to check is whether your ADSL line is going down or not when you have this problem. Have a look in your modem logs to see if this is happening. Let me know and we can proceed further with troubleshooting.

----------

Also, are you having this problem from both the wireless laptop and from the desktop PC?

hey there, Coimby. thanks for reading my post and replying. Yes I am having this problem from both the wireless laptop and from the desktop. though after the old copper wire has been replaced by the new one, the disconnections are few and the Dsl light in the modem ( yellow) doesn't flicker when there is a disconnection, but stilll I have a few disconnections. and how do i check whether my ADSL line is going down or not when I have this problem? where are the modem logs located?.
๐Ÿ™‚

----------

----------

Hey Apoorv, the broadband engineer just arrived at my home to determine the problem, and upon asking what part of the wire has been changed he said " the whole wire from the exchange to the box in your house and from the box to the splitter has been changed and also the line has been checked using a test called SULIM test to determine the quality of the line". and also the INSTRUMENT was replaced by the engineer.

----------

update : the engineer checked the SNR numbers too, and it was around 18, and then he said he will check the line again because he according to him it should be around 25-26 only then it would be considered "good". anyway, I am posting the snr margin screen grab here again,

----------

well, i thought I should post the result of my internet connection speed test.

note : current broadband plan : 512 kpbs daytime and 1 mbps night time, my system has latest version of java runtime environment, all active downloads and browser windows were closed before beginning the test, since the speed test may show inaccurate results with a WiFi connection, I made sure my computer is connected to the ADSL modem/router with the Ethernet cable. the time at which this test was done : around 5 pm, sept 12, 2009.

I am not sure where your modem logs are - try under Statistics -> WAN, ADSL, ATM ?

Or under 'Diagnostics'.

You would expect the ADSL line to go down (lose sync) if the SNR is not good. But from what you tell me, it looks like the line may not be going down (only the logs can confirm).

If you have a spare modem, then you can quickly rule out any issues with your existing modem itself.

----------

Also, have you tried removing line filter and testing? The idea is to isolate every component and make sure that the problem does not lie at your end. If we are confident that the problem is not at your end, then we can take it up with the ISP.

I am not sure where your modem logs are - try under Statistics -> WAN, ADSL, ATM ?

Or under 'Diagnostics'.

You would expect the ADSL line to go down (lose sync) if the SNR is not good. But from what you tell me, it looks like the line may not be going down (only the logs can confirm).

If you have a spare modem, then you can quickly rule out any issues with your existing modem itself.

----------

Also, have you tried removing line filter and testing? The idea is to isolate every component and make sure that the problem does not lie at your end. If we are confident that the problem is not at your end, then we can take it up with the ISP.

hi ๐Ÿ™‚. i do not have a spare modem, and the broadband engineer suggests that the problem could not be in the modem. anyways. I looked for the logs but couldn't find it, or maybe i couldn't spot it
statistics > LAN

I have connected the modem directly to the line now, and will wait and see if there is any disconnection...removed line filter ( splitter).

If you cannot locate the logs then there are two things to try:-1) Ask the broadband engineer for a spare modem so that you can test for a few hours. If the problem still exists then,2) Ask the broadband engineer if he can see your ADSL line losing sync from the ISP end. If your line is not losing sync, then it most likely is NOT an SNR margin issue but rather a 'data flow' problem.So when you have a data flow issue, data transfer on your ADSL line stops briefly resulting in sessions timing out and consequently logging you out of chat etc.And, a data flow problem could mean a faulty DSLAM port at the ISP end - ask the engineer to put you on a different DSLAM port or on a completely different DSLAM.By the way, is the copper taken from a cabinet on the road and fed to your computer room within a PVC pipe?

If you cannot locate the logs then there are two things to try:-

1) Ask the broadband engineer for a spare modem so that you can test for a few hours. If the problem still exists then,

2) Ask the broadband engineer if he can see your ADSL line losing sync from the ISP end. If your line is not losing sync, then it most likely is NOT an SNR margin issue but rather a 'data flow' problem.

So when you have a data flow issue, data transfer on your ADSL line stops briefly resulting in sessions timing out and consequently logging you out of chat etc.

And, a data flow problem could mean a faulty DSLAM port at the ISP end - ask the engineer to put you on a different DSLAM port or on a completely different DSLAM.

By the way, is the copper taken from a cabinet on the road and fed to your computer room within a PVC pipe?

hi again ๐Ÿ™‚

1) ok I shall ask him. he is gonna arrive in a few mins, btw the modem model which I have beetel 450 bx1 ADSL + ROUTER, does it have any connection issues and is there any newer modem after this???

2) will ask the engineer. the last time some broadband engineer had come I had asked if there is any problem in the line, he then told me, he had done some SULIM test to check if there is any fault with the line, and said everything is fine, when i told him that i still get d'ted though not as often as before, he said he'll check it again. anyways since he is coming today again to inspect, i shall mention this point to him.

yes the copper is taken from a cabinet on the road and fed to my computer room withing a pvc pipe, just checked it. ๐Ÿ™‚

ty. ๐Ÿ™‚

----------

update : the engineer just visited the site to inspect, and he says that since there has been repeated complaints, now he/ll get the underground cable changed from a small blue box which is some 40-50 feet away from my home on the road...and if even after changing this the complaint persists, the wire to the main exchange will be changed and even if the problem still persists, backend will be checked, meanwhile he has told me to monitor the connection and report if there is any disconnection issues ( after the wire is changed), upon asking for a new modem or spare modem, he says, nothing is wrong with the modem.

----------

" 2) Ask the broadband engineer if he can see your ADSL line losing sync from the ISP end. If your line is not losing sync, then it most likely is NOT an SNR margin issue but rather a 'data flow' problem.

So when you have a data flow issue, data transfer on your ADSL line stops briefly resulting in sessions timing out and consequently logging you out of chat etc.

And, a data flow problem could mean a faulty DSLAM port at the ISP end - ask the engineer to put you on a different DSLAM port or on a completely different DSLAM."

I showed this post to the engineer, he believes that if there was any fault in the DSLAM port then all the 24 customers connected to it would have the same problem. I guess he didn't get your point? or maybe he did, idk. anyways, he said now the underground copper wire will be changed, so let us wait and see, if this works?. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh and i forgot to add one more thing he said about the SNR figures, he said there are some customers who have lower SNR figures ( 9-12) than mine ( my snr 18-22) and their connection works fine. so I guess he was trying to say that the problem lies somewhere else??

going by what u just posted the Airtel tech seems to be competitive and knows what he is doing. SNR at 10-12 works fine unless Attenuation is high.๐Ÿ˜€

going by what u just posted the Airtel tech seems to be competitive and knows what he is doing. SNR at 10-12 works fine unless Attenuation is high.๐Ÿ˜€

Hi there, Mac! ๐Ÿ™‚. Yes he seems quite experienced but why is it taking so much time to find out the real cause of this issue? Well, I must admit, the disconections are not as often and severe as it was before the copper line was changed ( from the exchange- the small box on the outside of my house).

You won't believe, previously the connection would drop as often as once in 5-10 mins. it was so annoying and frustrating. And whenever there would be a disconnection, the YELLOW LIGHT ( dsl light) in the modem would flicker, as if the modem is restarting.

Currently, my disconnections are few and whenever there is a disconnection, the yellow DSL light doesn't flicker. when i say disconnections are few I mean 3-4 times/day at the max.

So here are my QUESTIONS TO EVERYONE who is reading/read this post :

1) is it normal in a WiFi connection, to get disconnections 3-5 times a day?

2) does beetel 450bx1 adsl-router have disconnection issues?

3)if my current problem doesn't solve should I approach the Nodal officer? or remain content with the current state of my connection?

4) where are the modem log files located exactly? I have windows Xp professional edition service pack2.

5) do you have a WiFi or wired connection? if you have WiFi, how often do you experience disconnection or drop in your connection? like for example, getting logged out and in from messengers, getting logged out of chat rooms, downloads stopping in between, video stops buffering?.

Thank you. ๐Ÿ™‚

breakyo said:
hi again ๐Ÿ™‚

1) ok I shall ask him. he is gonna arrive in a few mins, btw the modem model which I have beetel 450 bx1 ADSL + ROUTER, does it have any connection issues and is there any newer modem after this???

The easiest way to know this is to try with a different modem - I don't know why the broadband engineer is reluctant to do this? Which would you do first - change the modem and check for a few minutes OR dig up a road first and re-lay entire cable ? ๐Ÿ™‚.

2) will ask the engineer. the last time some broadband engineer had come I had asked if there is any problem in the line, he then told me, he had done some SULIM test to check if there is any fault with the line, and said everything is fine, when i told him that i still get d'ted though not as often as before, he said he'll check it again. anyways since he is coming today again to inspect, i shall mention this point to him.

Will SULIM test show faults with the DSLAM ports itself (it usually shows only faults on the copper line)? Again, how long is it going to take to swap you to a different DSLAM port? ๐Ÿ™‚
yes the copper is taken from a cabinet on the road and fed to my computer room withing a pvc pipe, just checked it. ๐Ÿ™‚

ty. ๐Ÿ™‚

----------

update : the engineer just visited the site to inspect, and he says that since there has been repeated complaints, now he/ll get the underground cable changed from a small blue box which is some 40-50 feet away from my home on the road...and if even after changing this the complaint persists, the wire to the main exchange will be changed and even if the problem still persists, backend will be checked, meanwhile he has told me to monitor the connection and report if there is any disconnection issues ( after the wire is changed), upon asking for a new modem or spare modem, he says, nothing is wrong with the modem.

----------

" 2) Ask the broadband engineer if he can see your ADSL line losing sync from the ISP end. If your line is not losing sync, then it most likely is NOT an SNR margin issue but rather a 'data flow' problem.

And, a data flow problem could mean a faulty DSLAM port at the ISP end - ask the engineer to put you on a different DSLAM port or on a completely different DSLAM."

I showed this post to the engineer, he believes that if there was any fault in the DSLAM port then all the 24 customers connected to it would have the same problem. I guess he didn't get your point? or maybe he did, idk. anyways, he said now the underground copper wire will be changed, so let us wait and see, if this works?. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh and i forgot to add one more thing he said about the SNR figures, he said there are some customers who have lower SNR figures ( 9-12) than mine ( my snr 18-22) and their connection works fine. so I guess he was trying to say that the problem lies somewhere else??[/QUOTE]

----------

coimby said:

ty. ๐Ÿ™‚

----------

Is'nt this 'underground cable' from the blue box to your computer room the one which has ALREADY been changed?

'Wire to the main exchange' means copper cable from blue box to the exchange? Why would you change this when you are the ONLY one having issues on this 'wire' ? ๐Ÿ™‚

----------

Every customer has individual DSLAM ports allocated - I think the engineer is referring to the Ethernet port on the DSLAM which is common for all customers on that DSLAM.

Oh and i forgot to add one more thing he said about the SNR figures, he said there are some customers who have lower SNR figures ( 9-12) than mine ( my snr 18-22) and their connection works fine. so I guess he was trying to say that the problem lies somewhere else??
[/QUOTE]

Correct and I agree with him.

What chat applications are you having problems with? Are the same applications working Ok without disconnections from a different broadband or netcafe connection?

----------

Sorry, my replies are all over the place. Pasting it again below:-

Is'nt this 'underground cable' from the blue box to your computer room the one which has ALREADY been changed?

'Wire to the main exchange' means copper cable from blue box to the exchange? Why would you change this when you are the ONLY one having issues on this 'wire' ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Every customer has individual DSLAM ports allocated - I think the engineer is referring to the Ethernet port on the DSLAM which is common for all customers on that DSLAM.

What chat applications are you having problems with? Are the same applications working Ok without disconnections from a different broadband or netcafe connection? (I should have asked you this earlier).

In summary, I would insist on doing the following FIRST:-

1) Try with a different modem.
2) Change DSLAM port.

And ask the following question to the engineer:-

1) Why are going to dig up roads and change cable to the exchange when I am the only person experiencing this problem?

I am sure the engineer is trying to help you out but taking a structured approach to troubleshooting will save time and trouble for you (and a lot of other Airtel customers).

I had the same thing happen to me. The link would drop every minute and the dsl modem would re-train. An engineer came and set the "Speed and Duplex" setting of my network card to a lower value and it never dropped the link again.

If it does not work, try half-duplex and a lower Mbps.
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9093/captureuy.jpg