Airtel Broadband: Anyone has clue how far a connection can work ?

• Thread starter Thread starter genexed
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 9,266

genexed

Regulars
ISP
MTNL 512 combo unlm + TATA 1 Mbps UNLM
Since Airtel is not coming to my locality I have decided to take the connection at friends home and run my own wire thereafter to my home. My friends home is 200 metres away from my home so the total distance from the 'DP' would be around 400 metres. Has anyone any idea how far airtel connection can work smoothly without much loss in snr ratio? and what type of wire airtel is using, what do you call them ?

200 meters?400 meters?not a good idea. ping would probably break. wires would probably break. it would be against airtel terms and conditions anyways. bad idea.

@genexed
Warning:
It would be against airtel terms and conditions
If your neighbours do not object, Airtel may give you an overhead line from your friend's junction box.

You have to take a parallel phone connection and then use ADSL splitter , modem, and use your friends''s ID and password. If the connection to original user's junction box ( locked) is OFC, may be there could be a loss. Test phone. then BB.
BSNL limit for telephone extensions about 2 KM. ( which they also give from their main junction box(POLE) only )
In my flat Airtel refused to run a parallel connection( 30 feet) from junction box, to another part of my OWN flat, and only ONE BB connection can be used at a time. ( extn given: distance 100 feet from present original connection free of cost.).
Para two:
setup
Junction box; Bedroom1/1( FIRST FLAT) Rj11 telephone Box (port)1===>. Phone adsl modem ==>> computer/s RJ11 Port No2
Bedroom No 1/2(2nfd FLAT): distance about 100 FEET ( 2ND FLAT) RJ11 PORT NO 3
InterConnect Port 1 and 2 for BB usage in Flat 2. . PORT No 3 usual set up.
Parallel telephones can be used .

Para three:Connecting two modems to single telephone line is being discussed in backroom. From the modem Rj45 cable to computer maximum 30 meters specified.( recheck)

OFC : Optical Fiber cable.

i have a ethernet switch and me and my bro share the connection used 100meter lan wire and their is no problem at allno ping breaks,no slow speeds.i ur case 200mt is ok but not 400mt

Cat5 is good for 150 metres, I can use a switch at my end so I think it can run good for 200 metres @ 10 mbps full duplex. I can even use cat6 which is better.

But I wanted to keep the router and controls with me and not at my friends house.

About illegal thing I was thinking to transfer the connection to my home address after some time. This way I can tell them that i have circulated the number and i cant change airtel, I can run my own wire at my own risk if they have problem.

If your neighbours do not object

Can you imagine how many houses it will have to pass when the distance is 200 mtr?

/member/genexed/
Can you imagine how many houses it will have to pass when the distance is 200 mtr?
How do you intend to run your Cat's ?!!! neighbours won't object? Or you intend to lay it underground ? Getting municipal permission ?
But I wanted to keep the router and controls with me and not at my friends house.
Exactly. As i have explained. If you run a rj11 cable instead of running Cats!! also consider the cost for Rj45 cables compared to rj 11 .
Para two :
Register two BB connections in your name and friend's
Run cats or rj11 as you like. No problem about billing etc.

@member/s-ricky/
used 100meter lan wire ( noted)

@member/s-ricky/
Your post at No. 4. No need for anxiety !"noted" for future reference !.
i have a ethernet switch and me and my bro share the connection
used 100meter lan wire and their is no problem at all
no ping breaks,no slow speeds.
i ur case 200mt is ok but not 400mt

/member/genexed/

How do you intend to run your Cat's ?!!! neighbours won't object? Or you intend to lay it underground ? Getting municipal permission ?
Exactly. As i have explained. If you run a rj11 cable instead of running Cats!! also consider the cost for Rj45 cables compared to rj 11 .
Para two :
Register two BB connections in your name and friend's
Run cats or rj11 as you like. No problem about billing etc.

@member/s-ricky/
used 100meter lan wire ( noted)

Actually Airtel cant and wont take permission from so many houses. But I don't need to take their permission, I live there and I can obviously manage that myself.

Cat 5 (RJ45) is just 4.25 /mtr., Rj11 is even cheaper but money is not an issue. I am just concerned that there will be too much loss of signal in running rj11.
Just to make things clearer my friend doesnt have airtel connection, but he will apply for me so there will be only 1 modem connected that i will be using. I know few ppl are km away from mtnl exchange and their connection work fine, airtel must be using better technology.

member/s-ricky/
seems 100 meters is the limit recommended..

1. CAT5 Cable - Category 5 Ethernet Cables - CAT5 and CAT5e
CAT5 cable contains four pairs of copper wire. It supports Fast Ethernet speeds (up to 100 Mbps). As with all other types of twisted pair EIA/TIA cabling, CAT5 cable runs are limited to a maximum recommended run length of 100m (328 feet).

Modem router combo VS separate router and modem Geek Speak
Now, I don�t know how far it is that you want to make internet connections in your home. But at 100 meters, round this off to about 300 feet, Cat5 or Cat6 cable (what kind of cable you use to connect your router to your computer) the cable starts to get something called attenuation---suffice this to say your will data corruption, signal loss or what ever you need to grasp that you really don�t want to go beyond that length if you want to run cable. Yes, wireless is better fo..........................

1000 feet for video signals ?
http://www.etthk.com/231CableIntroduction.htm
The Category 5 cable also known as Cat5 carries four
pairs of wires allowing for more runs on a single cable
and being much lighter is easier to work with. While
distances beyond 500' becomes a video signal problem
for BNC, Cat5 can comfortably extend out to 1,000' and
with active video baluns that distance can be increased
to 10,000'. Much debate is made as to whether BNC or
Cat5 produces a better signal.

I know enough about cat5's but I am not even considering that option as I want to extend the airtel line to my house and keep router with me and have full control over it. I've talked to airtel (lineman) and he said he has no problem if I extend it over my own respnsibility.Let me rephrase my cquery for more precision. 1) Is it possible to run 2 router on 1 line ? (same account)2) Airtel uses OFC even to our houses? if so what it costs/meter and where I can find it?3) There is only 1 port available in nearby dp so is it possible to use 2 different acounts using 2 routers on 1 line.4) Do you think if there will be major loss if I extend the wire to 200 meteres from local dp.