• Thread starter Thread starter praz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 3,491

praz

AIR-TEl:dey tak in da air
ISP
Airtel
Hello people , i have been using airtel for over 2 weeks now , i am currently on 256k (rs 999) unlimited plan , and i am very dissappointed with the speed , i have never got over 14k download be it any time of the day or night even at 3-4-5 am no improvement in speed , when i bought this connection i wasnt told about the contention ratio of 1:2 and later on when i found out airtel people told me that you will get minimum speed of 128k and maximum of 256k and when i asked when will i get maximum speed they said probably in the night i am asking here to all the fellow airtel bombay users to write your share about speeds which you are getting in bombay and if possible if there is anyway to help me in improving my speed btw i am from haji ali area in bombay if that helps

Well 14KB/s isn't even then minimum they say they will provide. I suggest you tell them that and have them send a tech guy over to your place. As to the 1:2 ratio... never heard of it. I get 13KB/s during the day on my 128Kbps line. The guy you spoke to was probably trying to just give you non-sense and make you hang up.If they still don't listen mail the area inchrge about it.

airtel is absolutely pathetic in Bombay. I have started to hate the airtel brand in general. anyway, the recent TRAI order has asked the ISPs to clean up their act. They are supposed to provide ATLEAST 80% OF THE ADVERTISED SPEED EVEN IF THEY SAY IT IS "UPTO" SPEED WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT. Which means on a 256Kbps connection u should get ATLEAST 205Kbps IMMEDIATELY. Also, the uptime must be minimum 90%! This is a TRAI ORDER AND NOT A RECOMMENDATION.Write a strong letter to the person in charge and threaten them with action in the consumer court. This TRAI order is with immediate effect AND is applicable to you since you're on the 256Kbps pack which classifies as broadband!

Thanks for the info max. But i bet you that they will say we know of no such order and their usual blah-blah...

well the contention ratio is there .. you can even go to the airtel site and see the bombay tarrifs they have mentioned the contention ratio ... anyway the engineer did come to my place today .... and guess what ... they have documents which says i have bought 128 unlimited instead of 256 ... i was like wtf ... i showed him my papers of airtel ... i made him speak to the guy the sales person of airtel from whom i bought the connection .... only then he was convinced .... though he said now he cannot do anything ... i will have to bare this speed the whole month till next month when they actually change me to 256 ... now lets just hope i actually do get 256 ... man i dont know when will one actual good isp will come in india ... to provide us real broadband man

hmm 14KBps for a 128 connection isn't all that bad. So Airtel is actually ripping you off but for a 128Kbps connection it doesnt suck. Thats a relief. BUT they did stick you with a wrong plan which is bad.@Karan, NO. They CANT give you the nonsense like they are not aware of the order. They are supposed to be professionals and if they give such B$, just tell them you're gonna complain to the TRAI and it'll definitely kick some bad a$$ 🙂 I had a talk with an Airtel engineer cum sales guy who told me that they can't guarantee more that 50% of the speed ( 100K for a 256K connection! ) and I told him about the TRAI order. He started the usual nonsense ( as you said ) but then I dropped the bomb on him. I told him it is not MY CONCERN that Airtel isn't aware of the order. I'll do my bit and complain to TRAI and then it is between you and them. I HAVE to get value for MY HARD EARNED money! 🙂

lol actually they are not ripping me off they are going to charge me 699 rs only and yeah 14k for 128 connection isnt bad ... i just hope the speed carries on to 256 when i shift next month ... btw changing plans is a headache lol .... u have to mail/fax .. why cant they just do it on the phone ? .. anyway even though they are wrong yet they dont wanna agree to it ... lol

praz, hmm ok. Well then Airtel isn't ripping you off, yet. Just beware of Airtel. They rip you off when you least expect it.

thanks for the warning max ... i shall remember that .... anyway i hear people getting their speed doubled etc etc etc .... do we actually get double speeds ? or its only in delhi where they get double speeds ... cause till now i havent seen any double speeds anytime ...

New month in terms of Airtel has just started. I just got my bill for this month. You should technically be getting 256k from today or tomorrow onwards. 🙂

well i did call up airtel in the morning and they have changed my plan to 256 now but i am getting the same speed as what i used to get before , i spoke to them regarding the speed they said you will probably start getting it by the end of the day or at the max tomorrow , so lets see what happens now .

now i am happy with airtel 🙂well after few mistakes from airtel side by their engineers now they have sorted out ... prompt service after complaint about not getting 256 speed even after the whole day ... engineer came over to my place ... only to find that their chennai office has not updated my connection as yet ... so thats the reason i was not getting 256 speed ... he promised it will happen in 3-4 hours ... and it did .... now i am enjoying the 256 connection without any downtime like the other isp ... a very good isp ... and i hope they keep up their service like this ..

yeah, their uptime is the best of all ISPs i have used so far in India. 13 Months with them now, only about 3 Hrs collective down in that time.