Airtel Blocking VoIP Services?

• Thread starter Thread starter BSNL_Airtel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 102
  • Views Views 55,740
sucks to be an internet customer here in india. the government is not doing its job. and private companies are torturing the customers to get back at the government! i bet TRAI and DoT have no idea about this new mess in the indian broadband market.

Well The diallers for Betamax are working :thumb:.
Just the connections on sip are being blocked.
It's a pity I cant use my connections on my Nokia E51 😡.

diallers? is that the software that you can download from various betamax sites to talk through the pc?

Voip is perfectly legal In india..the only aspect of Voip thats not allowed in india is VoIP to PSTN inter-connectivity..maybe coz these co's (ie Betamax) allow one to call PSTN lines in India at cheap rates is what is bothering our Telcos.

However, TRAI recently recommended the govt to de-regulate the PSTN-Voip sector..which was opposed by telcos..and DoT rejected TRAI'S recommendation and sent it back..Indian govt delays plans for unrestricted VoIP : News : Communications - ZDNet Asia

Sooner or later they have to de-regulate it...VoIP connectivity to PSTN networks in India is the future..it will help in STD rates dropping down to as low as 10-20 Paisa/per minute.. i dont know why they are opting for regressive measures ..🙁

true. when the technology is there, the telecom companies should adopt them to make it cheaper for the end user. voip is going to be cheaper for them compared to old generation telecommunications. guess, they are too lazy to invest to upgrade their infrastructure to get the thing going. look at USA, the companies are still stuck on 3g while japan and korea are moving ahead with faster technologies. here in india, we are still stuck on 2g. and mtnl is charging 5 rupees per mb on 3g!

Below is the reply i got when i wrote a email regarding my problem to "Care.Tamilnadu@Airtel.in"

Dear Sir,

Thank you for writing to Airtel Telemedia Services.

We would like to inform you as per TRAI we have blocked the Voip ports if
need to release the same had to send the request in the below attached
format in the company letter head along with the company seal.

For further assistance, please
· Call us at 044 - 44444121
· E-Mail us at - Care.Tamilnadu@airtel.in
· Fax us at 044 - 42112233

Assuring you of our best of services at all times.

Indian Media and the 'security' experts...

Why VoIP is a threat to India

\"There is so much data communication on the internet at all times that it is very difficult to detect VoIP that is malicious in nature. Even if it is detected, decoding the communication, tracing the locations of the terrorists, monitoring them, etc, is very difficult,\" says Ankit Fadia, a cyber security expert.

\"At the time when different countries have come up with distinct legislation they have an impact of Cyber Terrorism, having a single provision on Cyber Terrorism, is not likely to help India in the long run,\" says Pavan Duggal, a cyber law expert.

Why VoIP is a threat to India- Internet-News-Indiatimes - Infotech

Airtel is too much in news these days for all sort of bad reasons..I don't understand why they take the Name of TRAI for everything they do.I read an Article on Economic times that Airtel was the first teleco who opposed the idea of inforcing Qos norms recommended by TRAI..They don't give any damn about the things which benefits the customers but when it comes to their benefits they start implemeting their non sense by taking the name of TRAI..This only happenes in India.😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Any more news on this?I had to switch from Gizmo/Sipphone to Voxalot due to the blocking. Voxalot isn't working consistently for me. I would much rather switch back. The added pain is the switch needs to be done in 4 places - my parents and my in-laws in Delhi. And for us and for my sister-in-law in the US. How can they blame TRAI for blocking VOIP?

@ashinusaJust now talking on Vonage VOIP: U.S number( mine also ) AIRTEL Ask your relations to set a U.S numberand send you the unit.

@ashinusa
Just now talking on Vonage VOIP:
U.S number( mine also ) AIRTEL
Ask your relations to set a U.S number
and send you the unit.

Vonage is a paid service. I live in the US and I have Vonage here. But for my parents and my in-laws, they don't really need to call anyone else so the way to go is a free VOIP service. No point in paying for the monthly fees + all the 911 overhead fees + other fees on a monthly basis for service in India. Gizmo was the perfect solution for my needs. I use ipkall.com to map a US number to Gizmo so that I can call my parent's from anywhere.

The same setup works with Voxalot(not being blocked yet) which is what I switched the device to now. But Voxalot is no where near as reliable as gizmo/sipphone, which unfortunately is getting blocked.

I found another softphone/SIP provider which charges U.S 1.3 cents to India. Call quality using SIP is wayyy better than Betamax and the min you have to buy is U.S $5.PM me to ask for the company name. I am not going to reveal it here. TRAI a$$holes are all over the place. :evil:

the providers name starts with n and ends with o are u talking abt the same one? since u have mentioned the rate it can be easily googled

the providers name starts with n and ends with o are u talking abt the same one? since u have mentioned the rate it can be easily googled

right on :thumb: