Airtel Blocking VoIP Services?

• Thread starter Thread starter BSNL_Airtel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 102
  • Views Views 55,777
Yes, my VOIP is getting an IP, because I have a PC that uses the LAN out from the VOIP phone and it browses the internet fine.

have u port forwarded the UDP and TCP ports correctly in the router?although it doesnt look like a stun problem still u can try changing the STUN server..use any of the free ones availableu can also try installing a softphone on ur PC and see if it registers with sipphone..

So far, I had not done any port forwarding (5004-5005, 64064) and my ATA was working fine for the past 1 year.As part of my attempt to fix the problem, I did log into the ATA and assign the STUN server settings which were previously blank toSTUN server IP address: stun01.sipphone.com STUN server port: 3478 I rebooted the ATA and no go. still got no lights. Only thing I have not tried is the specific port forwarding.my set up isairtel beetel modem (black color) - > AC-211-SR -> PC

airtel beetel modem (black color) - > AC-211-SR -> PC

Are you using a phone via the computer ?
The computer need not be switched on for VOIP after initial setup.

No, I don't turn on the PC unless I need to browse. There is no software (Gizmo Windows for e.g.) on the PC also.Hope this helps.

dude port forwarding needs to be done on router after assigning static IPs and turning DHCP off ..this is the sure shot way of eliminating NAT problems..AFAIK sipphone doesnt listen on any port other than 5060 so U can try to create an account with a third party VSP like Voxalot to register with sipphone and configure ur ATA to register with it (little advanced stuff if u are not experienced)

dude port forwarding needs to be done on router after assigning static IPs and turning DHCP off ..this is the sure shot way of eliminating NAT problems..

AFAIK sipphone doesnt listen on any port other than 5060 so U can try to create an account with a third party VSP like Voxalot to register with sipphone and configure ur ATA to register with it (little advanced stuff if u are not experienced)

I vaguely understand the purpose of static IPs, but in my set up, it is airtel beetelmodem -> AC-211SR and it assigns a dynamic ip to my pc (only used when I need to browse). On most days, the only devices on are my beetel modem and voip AC-211SR.

Do I still need to port forward? If so, do I have to log into the beetel router and unlock/forward specific ports?

Successful Sunrocket Gizmo Config
(yes this will be posted in multiple forums here, to benefit the most number of users)

I got my new (temporary) ViaTalk number, unlocked my AC-211, and put in their info. I've got my SR number forwarding to my ViaTalk number, so I don't have to give out the temp number for the duration of the porting period. For those of you who are using the AC-211, here are the settings you need:

Under "SIP", use whatever server they give you as the primary server, port 5060.
For the Line 1 entry on the SIP screen:
The User/Phone number AND Authentication Name are the phone number ViaTalk gives you.
The password is the one ViaTalk gives you.

Next, click the "Line 1" tab:
Change "Send out of band telephone events" to RFC 2833. Payload value is 101. Do this for the Line 2 tab as well.

Next, click the CODECS menu.
For both lines, use G711U.

Oh, and disable autoconfiguration

I vaguely understand the purpose of static IPs,
Do I still need to port forward? If so, do I have to log into the beetel router and unlock/forward specific ports?

Yes port forwarding is required..and u have to log into the router to do it..while this is the norm to get any VoIP device working behind a router..usually ATA's do manage to register onto sip servers even without port forwarding but have problems receiving calls..

and as i have said before there is no general blocking of ports by Airtel but there could be specific problem restricted to ur case..what i would suggest is

Assign static IP to the computers lan card in the same range as the router viz. 192.168.1.x or 192.168.x.x
Put this Static IP in the routers DMZ zone (search for it in the virtual server/port forwading/nat section of router
now run this test http://www.bandwidth.com/tools/voipTest#

@ BSNL_airtel there is no problem establishing a connection from here to ( iam also on airtel) sipphone's proxy using TCP_syn packets on port 5060 (same what ur ATA uses)..as evidence to somebody claiming that Airtel is blocking voip ports i am posting the tracert here..so the problem seems to be an isolated one..restricted to ur case

HTML:
Tracing route to 198.65.166.131 [northamerica.sipphone.com] on port 5060
Over a maximum of 30 hops.
1       1 ms    1 ms    1 ms    192.168.1.2
2       *       *       *       Request timed out.
4       31 ms   32 ms   33 ms   122.160.230.158 [ABTS-North-Static-158.230.160.122.airtelbroadband.in]
5       30 ms   32 ms   33 ms   125.19.22.145
6       76 ms   80 ms   80 ms   125.21.167.70
7       296 ms  295 ms  294 ms  204.1.253.145   [so-4-3-0.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net]
8       292 ms  290 ms  291 ms  129.250.5.90    [xe-0-1-0.r03.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net]
9       295 ms  309 ms  298 ms  129.250.16.55
10      388 ms  389 ms  390 ms  130.94.88.156
11      389 ms  391 ms  390 ms  130.94.88.149
12      Destination Reached in 392 ms. Connection established to 198.65.166.131
Trace Complete.

On one of the affected AC-211 SRs, I had a PC connected to it and I went to command prompt and typed

ping proxy01.sipphone.com

and it came back with 0 errors and all of them less than 100 ms response time.

I guess the next step is to log into the Beetel modem and do a PORT FORWARD of 5060, 5061 and 64064 to the only LAN address that it has (since it has only 1 lan out slot and that is being used by my AC-211SR).

Will report back findings soon. Meanwhile, if there is anything else that I should do, or if there is any error with the statement above, please let me know.

thanks in advance.

I have been using Gizmo5 or SipPhone for close to 2 years. My parents have returned back after a 6 month trip to US. Now when we connected PAP2T instrument it is not connecting. We are using Airtel at home. When I tried doing a ping to proxy01.sipphone.com it is printing the ip as 127.0.0.1 (local loop back). When I called Airtel customer support they stated that all ISP's have blocked this IP. I have asked them to ping and "telnet proxy01.sipphone.com 5060" observed that they are also facing the same problem. But it is working from BSNL. Customer support has requested for the tracert from Airtel and BSNL. I guess they might remove the local loop back or IP blocking. If this is done we can connect again using Gizmo.

I have been using Gizmo5 or SipPhone for close to 2 years. My parents have returned back after a 6 month trip to US. Now when we connected PAP2T instrument it is not connecting. We are using Airtel at home. When I tried doing a ping to proxy01.sipphone.com it is printing the ip as 127.0.0.1 (local loop back).

When I called Airtel customer support they stated that all ISP's have blocked this IP. I have asked them to ping and "telnet proxy01.sipphone.com 5060" observed that they are also facing the same problem. But it is working from BSNL. Customer support has requested for the tracert from Airtel and BSNL. I guess they might remove the local loop back or IP blocking. If this is done we can connect again using Gizmo.
This is going to be a long post....Sorry!

Thanks essbee/cyberwiz. Update on my tests. To confirm what vijaishankar was doing, I took my AC-211-SR voip adapter to my neighbour's place. They use BSNL broadband (vs. Airtel at my place). The moment we plugged the adapter into the network, it registered and the VOIP light was lit and dial tone was there and I was able to make calls.

Now, we came back to my home to implement what cyberwiz was suggesting (port forwarding). Just to be safe, I went to portforward.com and clicked on Router guides and chose DI-624 (D-Link) and chose the application as Gizmo Project. I had my DHCP configured in D-LINK such that my VOIP adapter was always getting a static IP of 192.168.0.100

When I put that static IP in portforward.com for DI-624/Gizmo project, it suggested going to Virtual server on my D-link & enabling both (UDP/TCP) for the following 3 ports with ALWAYS set to true: 5004, 5005 and 64064. In addition, I added my own condition for 5060 and 5061. also, please note that my Airtel DSL modem is set up in Bridge modem with the D-LINK wi-fi router establishing the PPPoE connection.

I saved everthing, rebooted my D-link router and then replugged my VOIP adapter into my d-link with the hope that port forwarding will help my adapter establish connection with sipphone. Also, I confirmed that my SIP settings on AC-211-SR were still intact (of course, the fact that it worked with BSNL broadband at my friend's place further confirms that ac-211-sr is fine). NO LUCK. Just as vijayshankar's parents experienced, the VOIP/VOICE light is not lighting up. No dial tone. The only difference is that if I go to my PC (connected to d-link router via LAN) and type ping proxy01.sipphone.com, it comes back with all 4 packets sent, 4 packets received, Lost = 0 (0% loss).

What am I doing wrong? The only that I did not do (that cyberwiz suggested) was to place my router in the DMZ zone. I was thinking that my virtual server/port forwarding settings were enough to get my voip device to register correctly.

I am having a techie friend come early tommorow to play around with my D-link device and my connections some more. Experts, is there anything else that I should do? I am still thinking that Airtel is blocking some port that SIPPHONE.COM uses, but unable to prove it!

Experts, please help me fix this issue.

as i have said before port forwarding is the norm to get any device working behind a router that requires incoming ports from WAN side..however outgoing connections such as registration onto a sip server from a voip device will work even without port forwarding..so its possible that the port might be blocked at ur place..try telnetting to port 5060 and post what u get..run the following command from the cmd prompt telnet proxy01.sipphone.com 5060

I took my AC-211-SR voip adapter to my neighbour's place. They use BSNL broadband (vs. Airtel at my place). The moment we plugged the adapter into the network, it registered and the VOIP light was lit and dial tone was there and I was able to make calls.
Your modem beetel 220Bx or D-Link now ?
1.If Beetel modem check access control page.
settings. All WAN/LAN checked.
http://i6.tinypic.com/6ur7rd3.jpg

Also Upnp enabled ? Wait.
2. Since the unit connects to your computer
Network/LAN/ properties TCP/IP properties
Obtain IP address automatically.

BSNL==Modem===Gizmo===Telephone OK/
AIrtel==Modem===Gizmo====Telephone Not working .computer Ok.
Probably your modem settings Beetel 220Bx or Dlink. to be checked up.
My Vonage : BB connection "Always On" ( beetel 110BX1) vonage Unit=telephone Ok. computer laptop(1) via wifi computer/laptop (2) lan port
If you need all screen shots of modem settings can be posted.
Wait . let me check up upnp ? !!.

D-Link such that my VOIP adapter was always getting a static IP of 192.168.0.100
Problem here? Gizmo specified any IP address ?
Vonage settings 192.168.15.1