airtel beetel 220bx: static IP + sharing connection over DHCP+hub

• Thread starter Thread starter rpm19050
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 9,866

rpm19050

ISP
craptel aka airtel
Hi,I need to configure 220bx in such a way that it has a static public IP ( we already have it from airtel and are using it via bridge mode, putting the static ip setting on the client machine connected to modem) and DHCP is configured so that we can connect multiple machines via a hub. we will then port forward some ports on the clients for public access.the hub is a dumb D-Link hub so we need to utilise the dhcp on the modem.In the current mode, the modem has a 192.168.x.x IP. if we give the client machine an IP in this subnet, internet connectivity does not get established ( link up but packets are not NAT'ed to WAN)..I know that PPPoE + DHCP works well (with dynamic IP). how to make it work for static? any help with settings?Apologies and request to move the thread as deemed appropriate if this is not the correct sub-forum.

Hi,

I need to configure 220bx in such a way that it has a static public IP ( we already have it from airtel and are using it via bridge mode, putting the static ip setting on the client machine connected to modem) and DHCP is configured so that we can connect multiple machines via a hub. we will then port forward some ports on the clients for public access.the hub is a dumb D-Link hub so we need to utilise the dhcp on the modem.

In the current mode, the modem has a 192.168.x.x IP. if we give the client machine an IP in this subnet, internet connectivity does not get established ( link up but packets are not NAT'ed to WAN)..

I know that PPPoE + DHCP works well (with dynamic IP). how to make it work for static? any help with settings?

Apologies and request to move the thread as deemed appropriate if this is not the correct sub-forum.

I'm not 100% familiar with that exact router but most routers have the ability to set a particular IP address to a particular MAC ID, so for example
machine1 connecting with the MAC ID 00:11:22:33:44:55 gets 192.168.0.2 and
machine2 connecting with the MAC ID 11:22:33:44:55:66 gets 192.168.0.3 and
machine3 connecting with the MAC ID 22:33:44:55:66:77 gets 192.168.0.4.

If the router has NAT, you should be able to set that fairly easily as well, so that all traffic incoming to port 1234 goes to 192.168.0.3 and all traffic incoming to port 2345 goes to 192.168.0.3 (for example, for bittorrent).

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

All that said, from doing a little Googling, it sounds like that router's user interface is crippled. This thread https://broadband.forum/airtel-broadband/2472-airtel-broadband-configuring-airtels-beetel-220bx-adsl2-modem/ may help you though.

Consensus is that you might be better off getting a better router.

i know NAT well. the issue is configuring static IP over pppoe. thanks.

Right, but it's not clear from your post which part you want to have the static IP at. If you want the public address to be on the router, it needs to be configured as such that the router dials up, not your computer.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

I think the router can't be in bridge mode for this... the pppoe session needs to be established by the router. When that happens, all computers should have no trouble accessing the net. Otherwise you could use ICS on {OS of choice} so that other computers use the main computer as a gateway.

ok.

the WAN static IP address on the router and DHCP NAT'ed IP address(es) over the modem ethernet port.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 AM ----------

[/COLOR]I think the router can't be in bridge mode for this... the pppoe session needs to be established by the router. When that happens, all computers should have no trouble accessing the net. Otherwise you could use ICS on {OS of choice} so that other computers use the main computer as a gateway.

yes. so what would be the pppoe parameters on the said modem? where to specify the static IP?

Going by the screenshots I've seen of that routers interface, Advanced Setup>WAN?