Airtel BB Down for the last 5 days.

Afaik, no lco city will get static IP. Rest you can talk to CC to know more about it.

Mine is Jaipur non LCO city with 1 Gig plans available in our area. But as @Lolita_Magnum said it no longer works 🥲

And Airtel continues to hibernate..1 gig upgrade not done. 😡 Called 121 and gave them a piece of my mind. They're saying I'll get a call today. I really have to wonder WTF is wrong with this company.

@Chip is your 1 Gig plan activated? Or they'll only activate it after you start getting 1 Gig? Also if it is already activated will they extend the days for the plan or refund?

They haven't even changed the plan! No plan change means no 1 Gig..it continues at 300.

And now this person tells me that they may have to change the router (yet another WTF moment for me) with a Dasan or Sercomm. I said I was told previously that the Nokia can handle it (I know it can) and she said their techs would call me today. 🤔 But seriously now, these guys are nuts. Plan change on TPBB happens within a matter of hours..no ONT change, nothing! And I can do it via the app. It uses the same damned Nokia ONT!

@Chip Tell me honestly without any bias... What if I want to choose between Tata & Airtel for Gig plan. Who will you recommend me? Factor in things like time to upgrade plans, time to fix problems, CC literacy about things, fiber cuts & repair times, downtimes etc.

Ok dude, here is my take on different parameters but I am splitting hairs here ok?

a) Customer friendly, both are nearly equal...lets say 3.5 (Airtel) and 4 (TPBB)

b) Quality of network including their trunk bandwidth - Equal, these guys are the bees knees when it comes to level 1 ISPs. Jio not experienced yet so I wont comment

c) Flexibility - TPBB 4, Airtel 4.5 for the simple reason I get a public IPv4 (paid) AND a public IPv6. TPBB is CGNAT v4 and public v6 but they offer a static /64 on v6 for FREE if that's your thing and makes you happy.

d) Customer Support - While ISPs and telecom providers mostly have dorks at the call centres I think TPBB is better here. 4 for TPBB and 3.5 for Airtel.

e) Repair times and downtime - Airtel 4 and TPBB 4.5. These guys are good. Keep in mind fibre cuts are not in their control but repair and remediation are.

So, you can't go wrong with either of them. Both have minor pluses and minuses over each other. It's honestly your call.

Thanks for this. Thank God you didn't mention Jio 😂

After all this you again sparked my confusion between these 2 😂

In our area Airtel uses normal 2-4 core fiber which I highly doubt are very good in the longer term. Whereas TATA play has same thick cable like Jio but in black & blue colour. Also their OLT is next to my friend's house around 100 meters away from my house. But the thing with tata is that in our area 20/100 of their FAT boxes are open and full with connections. Insects + dust is there. Also their JC box was hanging open outside my house. I tweeted and got it closed. That's why I sometimes feel they might have more downtimes than Airtel but again the same thing comes OLT is near my place so more redundancy. While Airtel on the other hand uses thin fiber cables which looks like cheaply done by LCO but it's Airtel's own line.

Plan change on TPBB happens within a matter of hours..no ONT change, nothing! And I can do it via the app.
Same is the case with Airtel. You can change the plan from Airtel Thanks app and it changes within an hour.
Though I faced the same issue as you when I changed my plan for the first time but after that it has been smooth. Changes within an hour.
Have you used the gigabit plan earlier on the Nokia ONT?

@havoc I am not going to comment on the quality of cables or cabling because I am sure they meet their standards in both cases. Obviously they're purchased in bulk at at the cheapest possible price.

My feedback is obviously based on my experience in my city. TBH Airtel has done a very good job at least in my colony with ducts et al. So YMMV. Mujhe aam se matlab hai ped se nahi. 🙂

@MadAxe yes I used 1 Gig last year and they took 14 days. Plan changes are fine and happen within 1-2 hours...in fact within 30 mins only when the changes are upto 300 Mbps. 1 Gig is a bit of an outlier.

@havoc one more point on the Airtel vs TPBB comparison in the flexibility area - Both are equal on 1 aspect as in they allow bridge mode on their ONTs.

@Chip I changed my plan to Gigabit and it got changed within 30 minutes as well.
Why don't you create a new thread? This thread has gone way off-topic.