Airtel Backbone

I had some splitter problem so I called the customer care and they sent someone home.So,i was chattin with him and he....well,he was convinced that they DID not and WILL not provide double the speed at night time for users with speeds of 256kbps.So I told him that I had some friends in Delhi who did get double speeds who have taken the HOME 999 plan.He completely refused to friggin believe me!!Anyway,I then asked him if he knew anything about airtel's backbone and he told me that Bangalores backbone was of speed 200Mbps...Isnt that a little low?I mean,c'mon!!Bangalore aint that small a place anymore and broadband penetration is pretty high.Is he wrong??One thing for sure..they aint that competent.But the service was pretty fast...called them some time in the morn in and he was here at 9 45 pm(yea..kinda late).Peace

200Mbps isn't small and neither is it big. For the speeds that airtel users seem to be getting it seems ok.

QUOTE(max @ Aug 1 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]57181[/snapback]
200Mbps isn't small and neither is it big. For the speeds that airtel users seem to be getting it seems ok.
[/b]

Isnt that big....yes.I guess that's the reason we dont have double speeds at night..

cant be 200 mbps. seems too low. someone at airtel told me they have 45 gbps - whole of india..the majority of this bandwidth remains unutilised though.

Well 45Gbps might be the intl bw they have access to.but 200Mbps seems to be low,not that 200Mbps will be chocked by b'lore users.I expecetd at least Gigabit speeds for thier internal backbones.

QUOTE(leomax @ Aug 1 2006, 04:36 PM) [snapback]57203[/snapback]
Well 45Gbps might be the intl bw they have access to.
but 200Mbps seems to be low,not that 200Mbps will be chocked by b'lore users.I expecetd at least Gigabit speeds for thier internal backbones.
[/b]

Exactly!
He also told me that in hyderabad they had 11,000 users out of which only 400 were online at any point of time....Isnt that ratio too a little too low?

dude, 200 / 400 = 0.5Mbit dedicated bandwidth per user. But we have 0.256Mbps connections so, it can support 800 0.256Mbps dedicated connections. Now, the share ratio is 1:4 hence, 800 * 4 = 3200 which is quite good. As we all know all ISPs overload their networks hence 11000 / 3200 = ~3 which is ok IMHO. Though, they should atleast double the capacity 🙂

QUOTE(max @ Aug 2 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]57258[/snapback]
Though, they should atleast double the capacity 🙂
[/b]
Which they will if the need arises. All it takes it upgrading the switches on either end.

The fiber these backbones run on can handle, i would guess 100xtimes more.

They just wait for such switches to become cheaper, which happens when the developed world moves to the next generation.

QUOTE(deafeningscreech @ Aug 1 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]57171[/snapback]
well,he was convinced that they DID not and WILL not provide double the speed at night time for users with speeds of 256kbps.So I told him that I had some friends in Delhi who did get double speeds who have taken the HOME 999 plan.He completely refused to friggin believe me!![/b]
I have seen that before... customer care doesn't seem to be in the loop in this thing.

Interestingly though, the double speed thing is actinga little weird for me... speed tests via their site show that I get something like 58KB/s, but no matter what torrent I am download, I never go above 28-30KB/s... could be a problem with my utorrent settings, so waiting for everything to finish to uninstall and reinstall it.... but till then is anyone else also experiencing this problem?

Speed test from their servers show bogus results. Their technician also confirms this. If you want to test your speed then do a test download from either norton or microsoft.obviously with nothing else downloading at the same time.

Actually their test servers are on the same network. Theoretically they could show speeds up to 8 Mbps on it.Its only when u do tests on intl sites that u get to know how much of promised speed u r getting.But bear in mind that any single ISP will not have good and fast routes to all intl Test servers which is why they guarantee their speed to their test servers only.