Airtel: 64kbps is appropriate definition of broadband in India

I think they should give people 10 mbps and 100GB for few months and observe the usage patterns. Sure, some people will misuse it but they're using what they paid for? I doubt people will have something meaningful to download once they download games and movies. But again, they may resort to downloading HD prints or streaming netflix.

But if ACT can do it in large scale, so can RATs

I think they should give people 10 mbps and 100GB for few months and observe the usage patterns. Sure, some people will misuse it but they're using what they paid for? I doubt people will have something meaningful to download once they download games and movies. But again, they may resort to downloading HD prints or streaming netflix.

But if ACT can do it in large scale, so can RATs
RATs Full form please !

I think they should give people 10 mbps and 100GB for few months and observe the usage patterns.
Right. Anyone who gets access to high speed unlimited connection for a few months would notice that eventually they are left with nothing left to do with the internet to make use of that speed. There are going to be a few exceptions who could possibly find a continues use of high speed internet connectivity but generally speaking, people tend to get bored sooner than later.

Airtel's document needs to be countered in a statement to TRAI. The company is aiming to make FUP speeds so useless that the customer has no choice but to pay for their SmartBytes package.

Right. Anyone who gets access to high speed unlimited connection for a few months would notice that eventually they are left with nothing left to do with the internet to make use of that speed. There are going to be a few exceptions who could possibly find a continues use of high speed internet connectivity but generally speaking, people tend to get bored sooner than later.

Can attest to this. Once I downloaded all that there was (Games, Anime, Movies, Softwares), I got bored eventually. Now my connection remains idle for most of the time, unless I stream the odd one or two episodes of American Sitcoms.

of course, services like netflix change that. people with uhd displays with fast internet connections can easily consume insane data in a month. this is where trai's net neutrality policy hurts the consumer... ISPs cannot make netflix data alone free by caching their content locally through a peering deal.

^ Yes, but 100GB is a fair amount right? You can stream movies, but not too many so as to clog the network.But having fiber changes all that.

^ Yes, but 100GB is a fair amount right? You can stream movies, but not too many so as to clog the network.But having fiber changes all that.

On Super HD, 100 GB would get over within a week. It takes more than 2 GB per hour of streaming . If your net supports 4K, then 100 GB wouldnt last 3 days.

the problem with airtel's demand is that they want the post-fup experience to be so bad that user has no option but to pay for smartbytes.
post-fup speeds does not mean that you should be punished to consume your full quota. gmail struggles to load at 512kbps. good luck opening the regular version of it on 64kbps. facebook would not load. twitter would not load. forget instagram or snapchat. the best you can do is to hope to get your whatsapp messages.

I have MTNL 90 GB data FUP.

We have 3 iPhones and 2 iPads in our house. Now, since last 4 months, I noticed I was having 45-50 GB of upload traffic. I was life WTF?

So I dsabled, I cloud photo stream and back up of photos and WhatsApp data from iCloud settings of each device.

So every day, 2-3 GB of data was needlessly getting uploaded to Apple's servers and we were oblivious to it.

In short, data requirements have shot up exponentially over past 2-3 years. Especially with iCloud and Google Drive aut backup enabled by default by Apple and Google on all newer OS versions.

Airtel's stance is wrong. We need the data.

or stop them from using unlimited word in their plans. who is stopping them to stop internet completely after fup but just don't call it unlimited plan.
why they want to use unlimited term also and then slow down speed from 16000k to 64k.

airtel plan names are pretty direct these days. they include the amount of data they include or the price. and the download speeds before and after fup are clearly mentioned.

wtWt4Xi.png

it's the high speed data transfer quota which is kind of a joke here. anything below the broadband defined speed is sold as high speed internet.

ps: they are actually being nice here. they can use the term broadband for 512kbps as per the trai's current definition.