Airtel 4g not getting sms OTP with Vowifi

• Thread starter Thread starter Smh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 20,875
May be region specific? While I did have issues initially, but after that post sms delivery has been relatively smooth on Vowifi. I think what pillaicha and others mentioned would be the most appropriate. Unless Airtel acknowledges it, there won't be any resolution.

I am also facing the same issue I sent a message from jio number to Airtel number since my handset was connected to wifi and vowifi was enabled I did not get the message until I disabled vowifi.Vowifi for me works on airplane mode also🤔 but in the FAQ section of their site it is written it won't work on airplane mode. So are you also getting vowifi on airplane mode or there is a problem in my handset?

No, I do not get vowifi when airplane mode is active. But this is more due to device than Airtel. I need to activate a setting using a code(don't recall the code) through which vowifi becomes active under airplane mode. I had done that earlier and it worked. But since it had to be done everytime, it became tedious as the code was long.
Edit: just now sent a MSG from MTNL to Airtel with vowifi active and I got it.

Issue is that the message is not received when there is poor or no mobile signal..... while the voice calls will be fine you would be able to send sms also but would not receive sms until you go to an area where there is fairly good mobile signal. So..... here VoWiFi does not serve the purpose of indoor connectivity(receiving OTP)...

No, I do not get vowifi when airplane mode is active. But this is more due to device than Airtel. I need to activate a setting using a code(don't recall the code) through which vowifi becomes active under airplane mode. I had done that earlier and it worked. But since it had to be done everytime, it became tedious as the code was long.
Edit: just now sent a MSG from MTNL to Airtel with vowifi active and I got it.
In my iPhone, having jio sim, I also used to get vowifi while airplane mode was on with with wifi connected and in realme, having airtel sim, also I get vowifi on airplane mode so these carriers should update their FAQ and tell the truth that it works on airplane mode.

So I recently changed my device to Moto Edge 20 Fusion and vowifi is rock solid on Airtel. I also get vowifi with airplane mode.
Seems like it is more to do with the OS and the modem config files used by manufacturers. My earlier device was Poco X3 and vowifi was never stable, won't get it on airplane mode too. My Dad too has stock Android and I have seen vowifi pretty stable.

Miui updates seem to be very bad as they seem to screw the network quality and other network related services.

Chinese companies are a hit or miss with software updates. My Oppo phone has never received Vowifi support. And after an update last year, permissions for apps like microphone and camera get disabled every reboot.

+1 for above statement. If anyone's on any of their non-pro models or non-note series, it would be best to stay away from the so-called "updates." Pathetic would be an understatement.

Last edited:
@Tejas01 I also have a similar experience. Moved from iPhone SE 1st gen to Moto Edge 20 recently. VoWifi is pretty stable. I receive more OTP SMS texts in low signal area of the house, even while on VoWifi. Not all the time though. So it might be some mix of two things in my opinion: signal reception capacity of the device and network configuration at the service provider end.

Last edited:
@MeanMachine did you keep all of your network/system related apps updated from Play Store? I keep all of them updated to resolve any fluctuations. When I got my phone 2-3 days ago, there was a delay in receiving sms over vowifi. Now I get it almost instantly or despite a lag of 5-10 seconds, but I do get it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 and SMS has never worked for me over VoWiFi. The network range is pretty patchy in my house especially in my living room and to get OTPs I have to always move to my bedroom or balcony.