Airtel 4G LTE

The argument of Speed is only valid if Airtel can deliver 4G speeds uniformly across most parts of nation. I don't think its the case yet. Is it?

And 512 Kbps beyond FUP despite being too low still makes wired connection preferable over 4G. There is no 512 kbps speeds beyond FUP on 4G or 3G.

the good thing is that people can buy a test connection. test it where they need it. keep it or discard it based on their experience.

You mean trying 4G to check if you're getting speeds better than 3G?

But we need a new 4G compatible phone to check 4G service. I don't see compelling reasons to buy 4G phone yet.

Reliance may be adopting much better approach of 4G launch. Introducing its own cheap 4G sets for customers to get new connection. If they could just make the Data plans more affordable. Cheap 4G handset + Affordable 4G Tariff plan can be a win win for RJio to grab consumers.

airtel 4g is not aimed at you. it is aimed at people who need faster connectivity and are willing to pay for it. it is not a mass market product. and it would not be for many years to come. even today, a lot of people stick with edge for their mobile connectivity because it serves them well with whatsapp communications. i pay for 3g because my needs are more than just texting with friends and family. i would pay for 4g if my needs grow with time.

Telecom/Infocomm sector operates based on consumer outreach. No telecom company has based its business on dedicating itself towards high end consumers only.

Its not that 4G is not meant for me or people who want affordable tariff plans. Its the environment & circumstances of our telecom industry that has lead to present state of 4G. I am sure circumstances will change and environment will improve. It has to. That's in the best interest for consumers and for industry.

If any telecom business dedicates its business for high end market. It could not sustain itself. Remember that telecom industry has paid huge money to get 4G licenses. The best chance to make profits is to expand the consumer base which has excellent potential in India.

I also have a hunch that RJio's market strategy will be different from Airtel.

even i thought 3g was insanely priced when i was using edge at rs. 98 for 2gb few years ago. today i pay rs. 150 for 300mb on 3g while 2gb on edge probably costs around rs. 200. same is the case with 4g. i think it is badly priced. but in a year or so, i would probably jump to it because 3g would be a mess by then and pay the inflated prices of 4g for improved connectivity on the move. in fact, the way things are, my area might not get fiber ever and 4g might be the only way to get more than 4/8mbps (and more than 512kbps uploads). so a few years and 4g would be quite relevant to the general telecom consumer in the indian market. these are early days. and i would not bother about pricing and availability right now. the bigger problem is the qos on voice calls.

I understand your case. But you're getting overly optimistic about 4G and too pessimistic about future wireline/Fiber Broadband connectivity.

I think there are better prospects for Wireline/OFC development instead of 4G. There are simple reasons. There is no clear policy for development of 4G specially since we have gone in the era of using spectrum as a milking cow.

I thought that RJio won't be interested in aggressive competition. But recently i saw RJio putting OFC network in my town. Where we already have Airtel, MTNL, RCom, Nextra & whatnot. If its a hint of things to come. Consumers may benefit from competetion between RJio with other ISPs.

I hope i am right. If it goes this way, Internet will change soon despite policy paralysis by Govt which is crippling telecom industry.

@manu1991 I can understand your sarcasm. But I didn't mean to say about bu$t honestly, when I said she looks like a boy. I meant her hairstyle, dress, voice [in Tamil] etc.. To be clear, I mean they should have hired a better or well known model, which they have avoided and hence felt like a cost cutting measure.

they could have avoided the entire campaign as well. because it has such a small shelf value. any competing 4g service launch and they would need to roll this back.

Actually its already a bluff game and accepted their defeat silently... If you find the * conditions apply, its NOT applicable in TN and for TN users in Bangalore / AP... Reason being TN Aircel 4G users can access the 4G testing signals of Aircel in AP [Not sure about Bangalore though].. In my town, Aircel has 4G coverage [on band 40] and Airtel didn't have... If that condition is NOT given by them, then they will be paying my lifetime mobile phone bills... Further their 4G speeds in TN sux due to limited spectrum and NO fiber back-haul in 75% of towers...

They should have selected a better girl for their ads.. She is looking like a boy, may be a cost-cutting measure...

They couldn't afford Tiger Shroff hence they wen't for closest lookalike 😀

BTW I get "upto" 35 mbps (usually on torrents) and mostly around 20 mbps with 60% signal strength on Airtel 4G with USB dongle here in Pune in my area (near BT Kawade road) so pretty satisfied (for now)... I just wish that due to competition they increase the GB download quota - currently paying Rs. 1000 for 10 GB per month.

Getting 30-40 Mbps in Mumbai wherever there is signal.

Most of these contests are not applicable in TN, some law iirc?

Yep I saw nearly 40 mbps speedtest in Airtel store here in Pune on my dongle itself - I hope at least they maintain the speeds and not suffer from congestion as they grow...