Airtel 4G LTE speeds are now restricted at 10mbps in all circles

• Thread starter Thread starter eprafulla
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 26,714
Before they started messing with my account I used to touch 4-5mbit on 3G. Vodafone routinely gives 10-12mbit. Only if they'd got time based plans 😀

Update from their customer support team since i have been escalating and complaining with them :
"We would like to inform you tha as the 4G plans have been revised, the current 4G speed is 3 to 5 times that of 3G"
I get speeds of 3 Mbps to 5 Mbps on my mobile over the 3G connection. So not sure how speed capped at 10 Mbps is 3 to 5 times.

madhusudhan7 said:
And hey is anyone on this forum using Airtel 4g on prepaid ?I recently disconnected from their postpaid service because of various issues including billing related problems, I would now want to use this as a backup connection only when needed, if my primary connect goes down, still have the equipment but their website says 'All above plans are for postpaid only' :huh:

& hey can anyone answer this ?
Is prepaid still an option

One more update from Airtel. It seems all 4G SIM provided after 1st June 2013 have 3G disabled by default. So even if you go to an area where Airtel has a valid 3G license, the dongle / CPE will connect on 2G only.
Has anyone who purchased a 4G connection been able to test if their Dongle works on 3G mode when travelling to a non LTE area but a valid 3G area?

Yup, i reactivated my 4g connection again & yes the speeds are capped to 10 Mbps, i used to get nearly 30 Mbps (35 at times) at the same place

there is no use of any 4g or whether its 5g if you have limited excess on high price its sucks
These jokers are defeating the whole purpose of 4g 🙁Such a waste of technology...Many Vodafone users are getting 10-12 Mbps on 3g network

vivekkej said:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/2982740125.png
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2982740125
Pathetic speeds in Kolkata even after complaining.
Vodafone 3g speeds are much better by using my phone as a hotspot. I am leaving this connection!
Disconnected for the second time but looks like i'll have to activate it again because i switched back to Tikona 4 Mbps (because the Methronet 10 Mbps was a complete waste) ... *Back to Square One. Main = Tikona, Backup = Airtel 4g

So Airtel cut the speeds from 40 mbps to 10mbps. Has this happened to everybody or is it just in certain locations? I think Indian internet is cheap, look at Airtel Zambia...

^ ^^ 4G is not present in Mumbai yet , but after seeing this , I say I dont NEED it. I was earlier excited about it. Why should one get fooled ? Even 3G can support these speeds.
Another important thing is there are no much bandwidth issues in 4G ( it uses 2300 Mhz) , so at least such agressive throttling is not at all needed.
Not sure why airtel is doing this ! To teach them a lesson , one should simply NOT buy their connection & let them know the customers are not fools !! If everyone decides this , they will be forced to improve their quality of service..

Well! This is a very old thread but still, I recently upgraded one of my sim to 4G but I am just getting 10Mbps on average download and 8Mbps upload on airtel irrespective of the signal strength. Is there any speed capping on airtel 4G network as in my area after recent upgrde Airtel 3G is giving 12+Mbps and here Airtel 4G is capped at 10Mbps. So whats the point of 4G?