Airtel 3G FAQs

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 50
  • Views Views 49,370
Once ADSL is eliminated we'll get 25-30ms to Singapore and surrounding regions. There are enough servers there.

I can get 53ms to Brisbane (2,400km) and 61ms to Adelaide (3,300km), and my ADSL introduces under 10ms because I have interleaving & error correction turned off on the line, so from Chennai, I'd say somewhere between 45-60ms is more realistic for that distance (2,900km).

From memory I think we got 60 or 65ms to Singapore from Mumbai on a direct connection to the backbone, so taking in the 12ms between Mumbai and Chennai, well... 48-53ms sits comfortably in the middle.

How is that possible when I presently get exactly 59ms to Starhub servers and 55ms to some others? My first hop ADSL latency is again exactly 29ms or 30ms at all times. 59 minus 29 should be 30ms.

How is that possible when I presently get exactly 59ms to Starhub servers and 55ms to some others? My first hop ADSL latency is again exactly 29ms or 30ms at all times. 59 minus 29 should be 30ms.

But it's not 59 - 29, because that would be the same as adding router 1 + router 2 + router 3 + router 4 etc - if you did that your numbers would incorrectly add up to several hundred ms... so your first hop being 29ms in theory means that's the smallest possible ping you can get to anywhere, although even that is not strictly true, since I just ran a traceroute and got 10ms on my first hop but only 9ms on my second.

I suppose part of the confusing thing with my numbers above is using speedtest.net as a gauge - I can actually get 37ms to Australia (I don't know which city exactly, most likely Sydney) using traceroute. On the other hand, speedtest.net would give me maybe 45-55ms for Sydney (most of the speedtest.net servers are hosted by optus, so I used a trace to optus.net.au as a comparison).

As such, from Chennai you can probably expect the numbers I've given above - anything from 45 to 60ms... maybe a little less if you're really lucky - based on the numbers that I've run from the HNS data center in Mumbai - Singapore was somewhere in the vicinity of 60ms from there, so taking 12ms off for the Mumbai-Chennai route we'd probably be talking 48ms from Chennai.

(Please keep in mind that this is just an educated guess - YMMV).

There is a sudden drop in Airtel 3G Speeds. Its around 20 kbps for me.Does anyone else have this issue?Need to make any changes to overcome this?

It means your remaining data (how many ever MiB) is GPRS data and not 3G data. Previously even GPRS data balance could be consumed at 3G speeds (i.e. top up with the minimum 3G plan, and then stock up on (cheaper) GPRS data using the *121# menu), but this doesn't work anymore.

I'm getting 3g speeds on 2g recharge from last 3months :w00t:. I'm able to recharge 2g data plan after activating 3g also, no gimmicks by me , i use 251 plan ( 8gb, 90 days). I get speed upto 6mbps. It's a promo offer by airtel & i never believed it as bug. Airtel may expand 3g services to few other places like kurnool in ap and finally cap speeds. Airtel 3g already in 13 cities in AP
I know they want us to get addicted to 3g speeds but as soon as they cap my speeds, i will just throw my airtel sim in dustbin 🙂 .....stupid 3g data plans 2gb for 750 rs ?????? lol........

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1380389056.png

https://www.speedtest.net/result/1380391336.png

251 is a GPRS plan, not a 3G plan. It just means they have not implemented plan based speed capping on your local APs yet and it's running at the maximum speed of the data link layer, i.e. 3G.

Telcos, netas and babus are conspiring to keep India mobile backward. 3G auction was conducted only for the netas to make money. Otherwise, we would have leapfrogged into 4G.A war-ravaged country like Sri Lanka offers 3G as well as 4G (datacards only, as there are no handsets), why can't India? Reason is operators like Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, Reliance, netas and babus.

New thing discovered for idea 3gif you have activated Idea 3g in mumbai, you can recharge with the 2G data plan of 2GB and use it on 3G network of Idea. The speeds are capped at 120kbps... and you can still make/receive video calls.same logic goes with AirtelVodafone cancels your 3G if you recharge any 2G plan. Video call facility is dropped. Again you will have to recharge with min of Rs. 102 to activate 3G in vodafone mumbai.

New thing discovered for idea 3g
if you have activated Idea 3g in mumbai, you can recharge with the 2G data plan of 2GB and use it on 3G network of Idea. The speeds are capped at 120kbps... and you can still make/receive video calls.

same logic goes with Airtel

Vodafone cancels your 3G if you recharge any 2G plan. Video call facility is dropped. Again you will have to recharge with min of Rs. 102 to activate 3G in vodafone mumbai.

120kbps is just 2G speed. You remain connected to 3G get 2G speeds on Airtel.

yes... vodafone does not offer that facility.AIrtel & idea give 2g speeds in 3g network with video call facility tooVodafone does not offer that.