Agneepath (2012)

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 9,567
@ I MYour review matching with Komal Natha review. Good job. I never seen neither of both movie.

Bro, That was my purely personal. I am surprised its matching with some critic. I think I need to copyright my reviews in future. People are stealing my reviews too 😀

Komal and Taran aren't critics, they are box office analysts. Neither of them has the misconception that they are there for the 'betterment of cinema' like some idiots like Raja Sen, Rajeev Masand, Mayank Shekhar, Kunal Guha et al would like us to believe.

Going to watch it at 11:45am tomorrow, or rather today since Sunday is already here. Damn excited, probably because I haven't watched the original move, just heard about it! 😀

After Watching the New One, Need to re-watch Agneepath (1990) once again. Downloading is going on since morning, but still not completed due to more leechers 😉

Yea, the original is one of those failed classics - rejecting during it's times, but considered one of the landmark roles in Amitabh's career.

In fact its said that, people didnt like Amitabh's voice in the movie and some of them thought there is some issue with the theatre's sound system.

that was perhaps the biggest failing of the movie - releasing in a dubbed voice. Amitabh was too big a star to be dubbed, least of all when his baritone was considered a strength. The film was re-released soon with his voice, but thatdidnt help matters In fact its said that, people didnt like Amitabh's voice in the movie and some of them thought there is some issue with the theatre's sound system.

original is of course a classic 😀

More of hype. It was a good movie but not as people make it to be...

People might have liked it as Amitabh's career was fading at that time and this was one of few hits. Remember Jaadugar, Ganga Jamuna Saraswati. For that matter Lal Badshah...all were from those times.

^ Agneepath was NOT a hit, so that logic doesn't hold. The movie was outright rejected at the box office. It is held in respect in 'hindsight', much like Raj Kapoor's Mera Naam Joker, which bombed so bad that Raj Kapoor was hit hard.Lal Baadshah was a good decade AFTER Agneepath, so they weren't really at the same time.

^ I am a bit curious, why did the movie bombed at the Box office ? and if it did then why is it regarded as a cult movie ? I am more interested in the reasons behind the phenomenon. For example that Nayak movie feat anil kapoor didnt do well at the box, but when it was aired on TV it was liked by quite a few.

^ I am a bit curious, why did the movie bombed at the Box office ? and if it did then why is it regarded as a cult movie ?
There is only one reason I can give for why - people who watched it, didn't like it! That's usually always the single reason why movies fail.

As regards the box office vs cult status, my take on this is that cult status is achieved when a film is written about a lot (positively) after it has left the silver screen. This indirectly impresses the mind of the reader into believing that the film was 'ahead' of it's times or whatever. However, I have my issues with this because these writers are a bunch of people just like you and me, but with a great power to influence a segment of people with their opinions in print. This judgement therefore is usually very skewed. One reason I can't stand critics.

Take the example of some recent films. Rockstar is being hailed as a classic and what not. What about the number of people who watched it? If it is that good, why didn't it take off with word of mouth? On the other hand, take movies like Bodyguard and Ra.One. By the admission of these critics, these are probably the worst films ever made in the history of mankind. Surprise surprise! Ra.One is the highest worldwide grosser of 2011, closely followed by Don 2 and Bodyguard. Ouch (for the critics).