Affordable ISP Design Suggestions

ISP
Ani Network
Hello

I am from Assam. As some of you might now that this part of India is seriously lacking in Internet connectivity, hence, I along with 2 of my friends have decided to roll out our own ISP in the state. Before moving any further, please allow me to present you the current Internet infrastructure of Assam as well as North East.

• Most private ISPs provide their services via 5ghz radios. While this is a good move to improve scale of operations and maximize coverage, but the services are not anywhere reliable as wired connections. Also, the cost of installation (including CPE, but excluding WiFi router) per customer goes anywhere from Rs. 4000 to Rs. 7000.
  • Wired connections, in most of the times, would mean FTTH connections. Wherein, they would connect my home to a nearby Fiber Junction box via a 2core OFC. Then, they would install a Fiber to Ethernet converter. This installation has cost me Rs. 7000 (excluding WiFi router). Please note that the maximum connection speed via the "FTTH" service is only 2 Mbps (with UL plans only in 1 Mbps category). Click here to believe: Source
    option for high speed access in Cities such as Guwahati, Tezpur etc is BSNL. But services of BSNL are even more pathetic (in certain areas and during certain times, such as monsoon).
  • The last option left with any user is using his Mobile data connection (which is again pretty expensive).Apart from these, the cost of data is also very high. For instance, a 1 Mbps UL connection via wireless CPE would cost me anywhere from Rs. 900 to Rs. 1500. In most cases the highest speed offered is 8 Mbps (the cost of which would exceed Rs. 4000/month for a limited data connection). Also, these services are available only in major cities and Tier-1 towns.

What do we want?
    • Lower customer installation costs (Less than Rs. 1500)
    • High speed data (in options of 2 to 10 Mbps).
    • Wider reach
    • Wired Last mile connectivity.
    • Affordable plans. (from as low as Rs. 199 to as high as Rs. 3999).
    • P2P traffic friendly service.
    We know that the market is huge. But, we do not want to repeat the same mistakes that other ISPs are currently making in the state. While we want to make money, we would first and foremost want to provide a solution. Since I have been a victim of such loot by ISPs in my state, I want to create a change.

Guys, I am not a networking Guy. But i understand a few things. With my little to no expertise in this field, i have decided to invest in this venture. Hence, i would require this forum`s support.

Whats in my mind?
    • In the first phase, my team is planning to install OFC in the city of Guwahati. We wish to start our business from here. This OFC shall be the main trunk line connecting my Network Operations Center (NOC) with rest of the nodes. I am planning to install the line along the main highway via sewer or micro-trenching.
    • Hereafter we would split the Fibre accordingly to various parts of the City and various localities via lower core OFCs. Such OFCs would be terminated on a pole mounted box, equipped with a reverse POE switch. Using Reverse POE switch terminates our power supply constraints.

Suggestions needed:
    • Any better idea for Ethernet over twisted pair cable at last mile?
    • How to peer with Google for higher YouTube speeds?
    • Bandwidth requirement estimate for 100 customers (avg speed: 4mbps)
    • Using Wireless for Backhaul.
    • Torrent Caching service.
    • Routing and Switching gear (Cisco or Juniper)?

Project estimates:
    • Capital: Rs. 80 Lakhs to Rs. 1.2 Crores.
    • Project Initialization: April, 2017

Any kind of help will be appreciated. We must understand that digital divide is a curse, and Internet is now a fundamental human right. Please help make this dream come true.

I think I can help you out. I wouldn't ideally like to promote my things on here but I have about 4000 word post on how to start an ISP in India in detail on my blog. https://varunpriolkar.com/2016/12/how-to-start-an-internet-service-provider-in-india/

To answer your questions in brief:
>Any better idea for Ethernet over twisted pair cable at last mile?
Use PON. AE is a terrible solution for your requirement.
>How to peer with Google for higher YouTube speeds?
GGC+NLD to their POP+talking to them.
>Bandwidth requirement estimate for 100 customers (avg speed: 4mbps)
Depends completely on users. I would guess 70-80 Mbps peak.
>Using Wireless for Backhaul.
Can work out but ideally you need fiber from teleco POP.
>Torrent Caching service.
Don't. Most are terrible.
>Routing and Switching gear (Cisco or Juniper)?
Start with Mikrotik.

>Capital: Rs. 80 Lakhs to Rs. 1.2 Crores.
You can do it much cheaper initially. Then expand as revenue starts to flow in. Ideally you would not want to lay much fiber but outsource it to LCOs.

@thebluehue Brother, that was hell of an explanation. Thank you for sharing your research with me. May i ask for your opinion on Bharatnet (BBNL/ NOFN) for bandwidth in rural areas? Also, could you PM me your mail id if thats convenient for you?

@business_boy You can find my mail id on my website. 🙂
Otherwise PM me first. Couldn't find the message button.

NOFN/BBNL can work out in rural areas but make sure you can actually make money in those regions first. That's the primary problem with NOFN. I think you get the plans premade and you have to just ensure connectivity to end users. Not sure though.

That is a very well written article. Besides all the technical information he has shared - There are few primary issues always:
- Uplink
- Downlink - Last mile/ Distribution
- Distribution of Cost
- Legal/ Govt / Local Municipal policy & support.

I think India & lot of its remote corners would be greatly served by following the model of small townships/ counties that are doing the same in the US. It is upsetting the ATTs of the world, but the local city/ town govt & body have setup their own and giving it for cheaper/ faster than anyone. That is something which needs support from ground as well as promoted from the top; especially because commercial/ big ISPs do not have the time/ business incentive to go to remote locations (Esp in remote NEast corners - I wish I could live at a place so rich natural beauty)

I think I can help you out. I wouldn't ideally like to promote my things on here but I have about 4000 word post on how to start an ISP in India in detail on my blog. https://varunpriolkar.com/2016/12/how-to-start-an-internet-service-provider-in-india/

To answer your questions in brief:
>Any better idea for Ethernet over twisted pair cable at last mile?
Use PON. AE is a terrible solution for your requirement.
>How to peer with Google for higher YouTube speeds?
GGC+NLD to their POP+talking to them.
>Bandwidth requirement estimate for 100 customers (avg speed: 4mbps)
Depends completely on users. I would guess 70-80 Mbps peak.
>Using Wireless for Backhaul.
Can work out but ideally you need fiber from teleco POP.
>Torrent Caching service.
Don't. Most are terrible.
>Routing and Switching gear (Cisco or Juniper)?
Start with Mikrotik.

>Capital: Rs. 80 Lakhs to Rs. 1.2 Crores.
You can do it much cheaper initially. Then expand as revenue starts to flow in. Ideally you would not want to lay much fiber but outsource it to LCOs.

PS: I also know some business families from the Guwahati/ Jorhat region.