• Thread starter Thread starter moindear
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,326

moindear

Internet addict!
ISP
Airtel, ACT
My present UPS which worked well till yesterday, suddenly stopped working. Even after charging for 8 hrs, there is absolutely no backup.what should be the better action?The UPS has 2 years warranty, 1year onsite and 1 year carry on. I have already finished 1 year. Further the battery warranty is just 1 year. Should I go ahead and contact the customer care and give it for service?Or Should I go ahead and buy a new UPS. The present one is Zebronics U110. Which brand/model is better.

if the battery is out of warranty, replacing it would be cheaper. replacing it would be fine if you are happy with the backup time it gives you. if you need a longer battery time, then look for a new UPS.

ah well. most batteries have a life cycle of 300 recharges. if there are regular powercuts, one year life is pretty much on the spot. apc offers 2 year warranty on their batteries. it is largely based on the presumption that the user would take at least 2-3 days for a single cycle. stay away from apc if you are looking for long battery life. ask your vendor if he can fit in a larger battery into your UPS. that might be a better idea even if you have to place it outside the UPS. though it would have to match the capacity of the UPS itself. my current UPS solution cost me a bomb 🙁 and i have external batteries in addition to the hugeass UPS itself. 🙁

Yeah, I did follow ur travails with UPS and especially with APC. It is indeed scary!Will checkout with the vendor for the options...Bangalore never has power cuts but suddenly there were so many power cuts this week that the UPS crashed 🙁

heh yeah. power situation at my place was terrible this week. today was better. i have to order two more batteries for my own UPS eventually considering things are unlikely to get better in the coming years. Might be able to avoid doing that till summers next year considering it is an additional investment of 12K 😕 Should have ordered a local brand would have cost me around 20k for 10 hours backup compared to 34K for 6 hours on APC!

ah well. it is working fine now. except for the battery life which is technically accurate but does not match what i was promised (the local dealer pretty much lied to me). apc does have the placebo effect of being an international company specializing in computer backup solutions so it feels a bit better to have it instead of let's say microtek. 😛

I also had to replace the batteries today 🙁

Luminous is one of the best Home UPS according to many people including my Dealer, i personally use Sukam 1.4 Sine Wave Inverter which is about 3yrs old now & still running well. Used to have 2x100ah Amaron batteries which died on me 2 days ago with less than 2-3 minutes of charge only. Bought 2 x 100ah Exide MaxInva with 3yrs warranty here in bangalore(Costs Rs 7,500 each but got a discount of Rs. 800 on the old battery = Rs. 6700 each), dealer also had Exide with 2yrs warranty for Rs. 6900.

Luminous 1.4 Kva inverter is about 7-8k i think, go for this in case you are planning to invest in a new one or to increase capacity.

----------

P.S: Well this info in case you are planning for a Home UPS else APC followed by Wipro are the best options available