Advice on choosing a ISP

• Thread starter Thread starter neo240
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 1,840

neo240

ISP
Cable
Okay guys i will get straight to point.I m currently using a cable broadband (Allaince) 750 UL 384kbps. I get around 40-50 kbps normally and am pissed at their downtime and high ping. I can download only 60gb max PM.Now i want a connection that will enable me to download atleast 100 gb a month. My budget is 750-900 as i m a student. It should also allow me to play online with US and EU servers. I m open to all suggestions including wimax, broadband. My location is Salt lake sec 3, kolkata.I would be really glad if you guys can provide me some advice.Thanks Neo

How is bsnl in your area ?

Bsnl dataone connections are not good. My friend gets 60-70kbps on a 256kbps connection. Also kolkatas IT hub sec5 is located only 300 mtrs from my home. so i m not sure as to these pathetic speeds.

You're friend may have line issues. He needs to get his connection fixed. On my 512k connection I get 60-70 kBps with good ping times. 512k unlimited for 750 bucks. Seems to fit your requirements. There are higher speed plans for about the same cost but with fups.my signature is a speed test from my other dataone connection.

Hmm...your second connection seems nice. how much does it cost? Also Bsnl ping times are bad here. Some are using MTSmblaze for 800 and getting 120-150 kbps while downloading. Also is wimax better for me as i m also going to northeast and coming back every 3 months. How much does a decent 1mbps line cost? And i mostly download at night so if its limited in daytime i got no problem. Also what practical dl speed will i b getting in a 1mbps connection? Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Wimax will make your pings worse. Very much worse. So forget Wimax.Unfortunately in Kolkata, you haven't got as much choice as you'd like - unfortunately a cable-based ISP is your best bet. 512kbit/s (maximum 64kbyte/s) or *maybe* 1mbit/s (maximum 128kbyte/s) is about the maximum you're likely to get in that price range. Because of that, when you're playing games, ensure that you turn off torrents and everything else because that will affect your pings very very badly.

I have the home 1000 unlimited plan with 15 gb fup. The speedtest is wrong with respect to download speeds. I have a 2mbps line, and I vet the promised speed, 240-250 kBps while downloading.However, I download like100 gb a month, but I've never got fuped. I get good ping times as shown in the speedtest.

Have a look at the plans available :
http://www.new.bsnl.co.in:8080/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/broadband/new_BB_postpaid.html

The 500 plan has night unlimited from 2 am to 8 am with 2 mbps speed.

I really don't about wimax, you might want to check out 3g.

However, do check with someone in your neighbourhood regarding bsnl's qos in your area.

Well i m currently on a cable ISP and i get a minimum of 8-14 hour downtime a week and i m tired of shouting at their customer service. Okay so wimax is out. Any other options that allow me to have decent ping and download speed.PS- just read your interview 15 mins ago. Hope to see hayai in kolkata too. Broadband in this sector and northeast is such a joke. Im pretty sure i will be leaving india if this continues.

Well i m currently on a cable ISP and i get a minimum of 8-14 hour downtime a week and i m tired of shouting at their customer service. Okay so wimax is out. Any other options that allow me to have decent ping and download speed.

That kind of downtime is very much understandable - I can see why you're frustrated (I would be blowing my top).

The question that needs to be asked is: is it the cable operator that's having the problems or is it the ISP itself?

PS- just read your interview 15 mins ago. Hope to see hayai in kolkata too. Broadband in this sector and northeast is such a joke.

We know. We hope also to be in Kolkata very soon (as well as several other metros).

Im pretty sure i will be leaving india if this continues.

In some cases, that *is* the only way to get better ping times to US or EU servers. At the moment about the best you can hope for from (in my case Mumbai) to Europe is maybe 120ms if you're really lucky or about 140-150ms to the US.

For gaming, even these pings are a bit high, but there isn't much that can be done about the laws of physics, and you might even be better off switching over to Indian or Asian game servers.

I have the home 1000 unlimited plan with 15 gb fup. The speedtest is wrong with respect to download speeds. I have a 2mbps line, and I vet the promised speed, 240-250 kBps while downloading.However, I download like100 gb a month, but I've never got fuped. I get good ping times as shown in the speedtest.

Have a look at the plans available :
http://www.new.bsnl.co.in:8080/opencms/bsnl/BSNL/services/broadband/new_BB_postpaid.html

The 500 plan has night unlimited from 2 am to 8 am with 2 mbps speed.

I really don't about wimax, you might want to check out 3g.

However, do check with someone in your neighbourhood regarding bsnl's qos in your area.

This sound decent, i would be glad to get 200+ speed. Unfortunately bsnl needs many things like proofs which i cant get as i m a resident of northeast and they dont accept my passport or voter card in bsnl kolkata. Pretty bad situation here....they seem to have their own rules.r voter card in bsnl kolkata. Pretty bad situation here....they seem to have their own rules.

I cant quote sorry about that. Browsing from mobile. Anyway as regarding the problems if i call ISP they say ask the cable and if i ask the cable agent he says ask the isp. An excellent case of customer harrasment. If i go to the cable office only then i get proper information. Mostly they say fibre cut, server down etc and it take long times to repair. Hell last sem i couldnot submit my project because of this problems. Also i m not sure why each week they have such problems? considering the fact they have the major share of cable bb connections.