• Thread starter Thread starter msjanus
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 9,606

msjanus

Microsoft's Two-Faced God
ISP
Airtel Broadband
Hi Folks,After a long association as a customer with Tata Sky I am planning to move to Airtel Digital TV when my final balance in my Tata Sky DTH expires in a couple of days from now !!! Its not that i am not satisfied with Tata Sky DTH, It has been good... never had to call their customer care even once... I am a proud Airtel mobile and Landline and Broadband user and have a great experience with them...Instead of paying Tata Sky DTH some 4 K odd for a year recharge on south jumbo + All sports pack, I can see Airtel DTH has an offer of 5.5K with STB and 1 Yr South Ultra pack included which seems to be good .....I can always recharge my Tata Sky DTH later in the future too as the connection will stay with me ?Need inputs whether the idea of migrating to Airtel DTH is a good one ??? Experiences fellow users ?

Hi, I use both Airtel and Tata Sky. I got Airtel for my 2nd TV because of the good offer. From ease of use point of view, I prefer tatasky, the menu and options seem more user friendly. Things I have in airtel which i dont have in tatasky are: (Note: I am a Keralite. So prefer Malayalam and Tamil channels)The 6 months Free offer. 3 Malayalam Channels TS does not have.Couple of Tamil channels.Worldspace (as of now not really useful. But am hoping that they add Tamil and Malayalam WS channels soon)In general they seem to add new channels frequently.There may be few other channels present in 1 and not the other. Apart from that I personally have not seen much difference. Both serve my needs very well.

I just got ADTV installed two days back. Picture quality is excellent. I would definitely recommend it

So much for the begining of my experience with airtel digital TV.. i was trying to buy the airtel digital TV Rs.3500 package via their web and used my debit via icici, the amount ( all of 3.5K ) got debited via bill desk and then the page was redirecting back to airtel.in website when it stopped giving an output which would include the transaction details and came up with blank screen !!! I tried desperately to reach their pathetic customer care to inform that i didnt get the cust id details, but they never tried even to look at helping me ... so finally I ended up with my bank account minus 3500 and no details about my transaction or whether my digital TV will be installed, which i dont think might happen 🙁 The CC guys are worthless and based out of mumbai it seems..ask for a manager and bang !!! call got disconnected... Any idea anyone who purchased it online ? what happens after you make the payment ?????? any id gets generated or do we get an email confirmation in the given id ???? Pls tell me a way out to atleast recover my lost money !:S:S

In case your account got debited you will get the transaction id from your bank statement and you can use that transaction id to find out whether airtel got the payment for that id.

So much for the begining of my experience with airtel digital TV.. i was trying to buy the airtel digital TV Rs.3500 package via their web and used my debit via icici, the amount ( all of 3.5K ) got debited via bill desk and then the page was redirecting back to airtel.in website when it stopped giving an output which would include the transaction details and came up with blank screen !!! I tried desperately to reach their pathetic customer care to inform that i didnt get the cust id details, but they never tried even to look at helping me ... so finally I ended up with my bank account minus 3500 and no details about my transaction or whether my digital TV will be installed, which i dont think might happen 🙁 The CC guys are worthless and based out of mumbai it seems..ask for a manager and bang !!! call got disconnected... Any idea anyone who purchased it online ? what happens after you make the payment ?????? any id gets generated or do we get an email confirmation in the given id ???? Pls tell me a way out to atleast recover my lost money !:S:S

Please PM me your details (Name, number,location etc NOT bank a/c). I can try and help 🙂

Trust me, Airtel is much better than this !

Thanks Eddy ! Hope you received the details... Anyways i got a call from their helpdesk a few mins back, they gave my cust id 🙂 and transaction id and scheduled installation for 11 tomorrow. Thanks for your help !:grin:

----------

Well, and this increases the Set top box count to 3 in my room alone ... a TS STB, the arriving Airtel one and the existing SCV cable STB, which was my backup to TS earlier.

The Airtel Engineer promptly came to my house and completed installation in the morning.... I was out in office though and had to have my mom supervise it.. He called me after the install was done and i asked him about the Signal Level... he said he has locked it to 197 value as if he sets too high a value the STB tends to hang it seems...( he added that the new STB has less RAM and hence ? ) I checked with him that i have seen info that minimum was 200 ... but i was told that it was in the first model STB and not the new one... The new one has a max signal level of 207... and the minimum for optimum picture stands at 185... Anyone owning new model STB of airtel can confirm the signal levels ?I am yet to go home to see the quality of the pictures as well as the channel switching delay ! Hope its as good as my existing Tata Sky

from what i have seen... signal quality does not really matter much because the transmission is digital. so either u get the clear picture or you get smudges. not sure though.

The Woes Continues !!!! I came home after the install was done by midnight ... Looks like the South Ultra pack was activated, but i kept facing one queer problem in all the channels... The image has too much digital error... While the commitment from Airtel engineer was there that he had locked it to signal level 197, I kept seeing the Signal level drop to 0 and then 195 every half to one second...... which means i never got a picture... saw this strange fluctuation in all the channels after a lot of set top box reboot , unplugging cables !!! Called Customer care, this time got a bangalore guy called Chetan, nice guy... told him all the troubleshooting done, put me on hold came back.. I wanted a engineer to visit the location since i felt being on day one facing this issue ( mom signed the install sheet ! ) the entire install was incomplete.... got a complaint number... Hoping an engineer visits soon to rectify this bull shit error... cant even watch a channel for a few seconds due to it dropping off !!!However the Tata Sky STB which was unplugged by the Airtel engineer , is back in ACTION !!! Happy to see the channels back atleast in TS !!!!! Missed it for a few mins !😕

he said he has locked it to 197 value as if he sets too high a value the STB tends to hang it seems...( he added that the new STB has less RAM and hence ? )

I checked with him that i have seen info that minimum was 200 ... but i was told that it was in the first model STB and not the new one... The new one has a max signal level of 207... and the minimum for optimum picture stands at 185...

Anyone owning new model STB of airtel can confirm the signal levels ?

I get signal strength between 247-252 constantly sometimes drops to 231 but never lower than that. I have been using for the past three days and the STB never hangs. Strange that the engineer told you minimum 185 coz my guy told me 200 min needed for good quality. I have the new STB so I can safely say that the max signal is way beyond 207 coz iam getting 252 and still signal strength is around 85%. Two or three top bars still remaining. So that is wrong info by the engineer. Get your dish alignment done again and this time i suggest you supervise it personally. You will definitely get more signal strength and good picture.

Both Seem Good !~! Cant see much difference between MP2 and MP4 compression between the two....Airtel quality is as good as TS and vice versa !