Adsl Modem Router Mode Or Bridged Mode?

• Thread starter Thread starter sukhi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 11,024

sukhi007

ISP
BSNL Home 500
Hi guys I have a Huawei Mt 800 modem for my BSNL Home 500 plan. I have currently configured my connection to be in bridged mode and would like to know whether there's any 'bandwidth' difference between the Bridged mode and the Router mode. I mean do those who have configured their modems in Router mode experience an increase in connection speed. I read about the Router mode on the internet and it said that it more secured as the client is not directly exposed to the public network as compared to Bridged mode but there was no mention of the speed. I have been a Dataone customer since it was launched in May 2005 and follow a rather primitive method to connect to the internet [ I have to enable an Ethernet lan connection and then connect via a PPPoe client inbuilt in Windows XP(it's kind of like a dialup dialog box)] Just wanted to know if I am missing any "speed benefits" if any in the Bridged mode. Otherwise I know that this upto 2mbps offer is really screwed up and giving dam low speeds 🙁Cheers

^ as I understand it , the bandwidth difference (if any) is negligible .
And you are not missing the ' speed benifits ' in Bridged mode .

I have MT880 . I have experimented with both bridged mode
and router mode . I did not see any difference of speeds ...

i have glb 502t and there is a huge difference in the responce and speed. bridge mode is way slower .....

QUOTE(new guy @ Jan 4 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]73328[/snapback]
i have glb 502t and there is a huge difference in the responce and speed. bridge mode is way slower .....[/b]

There shouldn't be. Something is wrong with your setup.

If you think about it, the LAN side of your router/modem has a maximum bandwidth of 100Mbps (ethernet ports are usually 10/100 Mbps, but mostly work at 100 Mbps). Your internet connection is max 2 Mbps. So it doesn't really matter whether you use bridge mode or router mode, as far as data speed is concerned you shouldn't see any difference.

QUOTE(bsnluser @ Jan 4 2007, 11:44 PM) [snapback]73352[/snapback]
There shouldn't be. Something is wrong with your setup.

If you think about it, the LAN side of your router/modem has a maximum bandwidth of 100Mbps (ethernet ports are usually 10/100 Mbps, but mostly work at 100 Mbps). Your internet connection is max 2 Mbps. So it doesn't really matter whether you use bridge mode or router mode, as far as data speed is concerned you shouldn't see any difference.[/b]

well i use a D-Link glb502t with a intex LAN card . in bridge mode the responce is slower , but not able to understand why it is slower