ADSL disconnects often, SNR= -10

• Thread starter Thread starter rookieLP
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,733
ISP
bsnl
Its been two months now, my adsl link keeps disconnecting. When my Local SNR margin is 18dB connection is stable. Most of the time it drops to 6dB, 1dB and the worst is -10dB. I am on the 500 plan, 2Mbps line. Since the plan is now discontinued, cant even experiment with the UL750 plan. I read faster the speed, SNR can decrease.
I have also noticed that when connected to my laptop the adsl link is sometimes more stable.If my desktop PC is switched on, the adsl disconnects more often. Is this because of the low SNR?

My lineman tells me he gets "earth for the wire"? What does that mean? I told him once when the underground cabling work was going on, the fibre optic cable was damaged. what could be the solution?

It is line issue, talk to the SDE. You can also check modem by using a friend's.

are the SDE aware of such issues? I had to show my lineman what SNR is.. the last two times, he kept saying the line is clear.
thanks

[*]distance from nearest DP
[*]breaks and joints in drop wire
[*]AVOID internal wiring in the house for broadband
[*]distance from nearest exchange (20 Km max)
[*]YOUR LAN CARD cabling
[/list]60% BSNL 40% YOUR wiring is responsible for it.

Thanks. Pretty sure its the 60%. Hope they fix it this week.

I was having same problem sometimes back. if it is distance from exchange,nothing can help. but the solution is to take the lineman to the concerned pillar. Usually 3 or 4 ft boxes on road side are called pillars. If you can carry your modem and laptop with a power source then its gold. try different lines there and select one with the highest SNR. best way to solve this problem. if you can't carry modem there then simply sit on your computer and establish a contact with lineman who is on pillar and tell him to change ur lines till best snr. there are number of unused lines at the pillars.

The exchange is 2.5kms from my place. @Last Warrior- That is the last Option..
My lineman did say he gets "earth" on the wires next to my place. Not sure if thats leakage or extra current that could damage my modem,but it is a problem, I guess. I did test my modem (1) at a friends place, still got low SNR compared to his (both D-Link-GLB802c). Maybe my modem is dying :russianroulette: or that so called "earth current" is killing it.
Here are the results:

My problem isnt fixed yet 🙁
complaint status says:Assigned to DE
tried with another router at my place still got low SNR: 4dB~6dB.
@Last_warrior that will be my only option when the lineman turns up.