MTNL Mumbai Actual line speeds on MTNL Broadband not in sync with plan speeds

Maky

[OP]
Dec 15, 2014
Hello everyone

I recently switched to the BB_1500_10M plan which, as per their tariff page, should give me 14 Mbps Downlink but I realised that I am just not getting anywhere near there. I logged into my modem and noticed the following in the status page of my router:

Downstream Line Rate (Kbps): 7699
Upstream Line Rate (Kbps): 511

Can someone tell me who do I contact to get it synced correctly please?

Thanks for your time.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Since it's MTNL, I am guessing best would to visit your exchange and contact the guy responsible for account settings :(

Karan

I am a n00b
Regulars
Aug 23, 2006
Gurgaon
It could also be that this is the max sync your line supports. What is the current downstream SNR showing?

Maky

[OP]
Dec 15, 2014
So by ADSL or ADSL2+ you mean the 'mode' reading under statistics? If so, It's:

Mode: G.992.5_Annex_M

Karan

I am a n00b
Regulars
Aug 23, 2006
Gurgaon
Yup, that is what I was referring to, G.992.5 is ADSL2+. In that case your line numbers do not add up, i.e something is wrong with your wiring. At 25dBm attenuation typically with noise margin at 7dBm you should see a sync rate of over 17Mbps. However, you are seeing less than half that. How is the telephone service? do yo get noise/static on call? Time to lodge a complaint and have them check eveything.

Reactions: Maky

Maky

[OP]
Dec 15, 2014
I see....
Is there a specific number I can call for this particular problem of incorrect speed sync?

Thanks again!.

Karan

I am a n00b
Regulars
Aug 23, 2006
Gurgaon
Sorry, not an MTNL customer, so I have no idea about any numbers you could call to complain. However, being MTNL, I would suggest you follow Sushubh's advice, visit your local exchange a lodge a complaint there directly with whoever deals with such issues.

Reactions: Maky