Aadhaar (UIDAI) News & Updates

Does any one knows process of deactivating UPI? I had been thinking of doing this for quite sometime, atleast on my primary accounts. Will keep secondary accounts that will hold few thousands for the UPI purpose.

The bank apps allows you to delete the VPA. If you don't have a VPA then you can't use UPI for that account.

the twitter thread did say that the only way to safeguard your account is to delink your bank account with aadhaar. with aadhaar, upi removal is pointless.

Source

protect your phone like you would protect a cheque book with signed blank cheques 🙏

i am guessing you can probably improve your primary account security by linking it to a secondary mobile number which is kept at home...

The bank apps allows you to delete the VPA. If you don't have a VPA then you can't use UPI for that account.
I tried this. Removed VPA from the bank app but the same is registered on Google Pay. If I delete VPA/Remove account, it does not stop me re-adding the account without any pin or authentication.

you would have to check with your bank about deactivating upi. you can only delete vpas in these apps. but upi remains activated on your account. online articles suggest that some banks do provide options to block upi.

And the VPA which I removed from the bank app, I tried to register again and it got activated without any secret from my side.

So blocking UPI on HDFC was a very smooth process.
1. Call Phone Banking.
2. Get your call transferred to the "Blocking" department.
3. Verify certain details.
4. Services blocked.

For re-activation, I need to visit the branch. Now when I try to add the account, it shows pin is not set.
One down, few more to go.