A tech question?

google_singh

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 15, 2004
Well, I just wanted to ask ur opinion guys on whether I shud install Windows XP on my system or not???? I am asking this bcoz my PC is pretty old:Here's my PC configurationIntel Celeron 433 MHZ160MB SD RAM8 GB HDD with about 900 MB freeCurrentll I am using Windows ME.Also if i shud install, i shud go for HOME or Professional Edition

ultra vires

O.o
Regulars
Nov 28, 2004
yup u can install XP on it,it wuld run fine just get a copy of Xp antispy and disable all visual effects , it shuld wrk fine. but maybe the space can give ya some trouble as over a period of month as software gets insatlled then the XP will go slower.

ujjwal

Regular
Regulars
Oct 17, 2004
Yes you can but I would ask you to consider windows 2000 as then you wouldn't have the bother of trimming the bloat that comes with winxp ;)

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i had suggest linux. but then linux are heavy in gui. windows 98 is ur best bet. though i had recommend using win2k and suffer some speed issues than stability issues on 98.

ujjwal

Regular
Regulars
Oct 17, 2004
Linux isn't heavy on GUI ... GNOME and KDE are ...I have seen 2000/XP with tweaks running on lower configs, so it shouldn't be a problem. Your config is quite good.You can run -Windows 2000Windows XP (with tweaks)Windows 98 SE (and under)Linux with X-Windows and KDE (with tweaks) or a lighter WM like IceWM

ujjwal

Regular
Regulars
Oct 17, 2004
*Sorry for double post*If you lack something, its free space, so best bet is to free a lot of space before thinking about another OS.

power

supersupersuper...
Regulars
Dec 19, 2004
Yeah linux with xfce or icewm will rock . Or get win2000 but dont forget to upgrade it . Xp will run very fine bcoz of ur high ram .free some space though :D

google_singh

Regular
[OP]
Regulars
Oct 15, 2004
So like if I upgrade my HDD.......then I think I can go for XP......which one's better Home or Proffesional Edition