A split AC for comfortable cooling 1 TON

• Thread starter Thread starter goodburner
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3,442
ISP
Airtel
So we have a 2 T here that draws insane amount of power and usually just fails to turn on when its most needed, because it just doesn't get enough Volts to start. We have only about 180-190V here at peak power draw(usually 10-12 PM).
And when it is ON, it gets way too cold as the room is quite small for a 2T AC. It's a Voltas Vertis Gold, btw!

We're looking for a 1 TON AC, preferably with high EER and low power consumption that provides comfortable cooling, not bone chilling like the one we have now.
Preferred brands are Bluestar, Samsung, Hitachi, Haier
Avoid Voltas due to bad experiences.
Anyone have any idea?
Budget about 25k, can be higher

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
goodburner said:
We have only about 180-190V here at peak power draw(usually 10-12 PM).
I think it will still be a problem with 1T AC. Have you tried installing a good voltage stabilizer
goodburner said:
And when it is ON, it gets way too cold as the room is quite small for a 2T AC.
Set temperature to something that you are comfortable with. 25 degree Celsius is 25 degree Celsius irrespective of tonnage of your AC (The only problem with big ACs in small rooms is that they attain comfortable temperature so quickly that they do not have temperature to remove all the moisture from the room and thus it still feels uncomfortable even with AC on unless you are facing such a problem things can be adjusted)

Upvote 0
v1rus said:
I think it will still be a problem with 1T AC. Have you tried installing a good voltage stabilizer

Set temperature to something that you are comfortable with. 25 degree Celsius is 25 degree Celsius irrespective of tonnage of your AC (The only problem with big ACs in small rooms is that they attain comfortable temperature so quickly that they do not have temperature to remove all the moisture from the room and thus it still feels uncomfortable even with AC on unless you are facing such a problem things can be adjusted)
i can understand what you are saying, but I feel something wrong with the AC when it takes about 5 minutes to get extremely cold to a point where you need to switch it off. I can't quite explain it but my nose feels devoid of any COMFORTABLE air to breath. It feels cold, but uncomfortably so. Moisture doesn't seem to be a problem. Most people who come to the house say that it gets too cold when its ON. I set the temps at 25 C only.

Upvote 0
So why not before investing around 30k in something, why not give setting temperature to 27/28 C a shot?

If I would have been in your place, I would have also bought a cheapo room thermometer to get a feel of what the actual room temperature is, this will give me an idea if the thermostat of AC is working correctly or not.
I read a thread on this forum (I do not remember the exact person but I am sure it was from one of the regular member) where a guy has described that how fixing the thermometer of AC is not such a big deal 🙂 (My 2 cents)

Upvote 0
Hello All,

Been a longtime lurker & my needs are kinda similar to those of the OP.

My bedroom would measure about ~120 Sq ft and I'll primarily need it just for the summers as my house is cool otherwise.

I was looking at the following Split a/cs:

1. O'General 1 Ton Inverter Split | Model # ASGG12JLCA | Rs. 38k

2. Sharp 1.1 Ton Inverter Split | Model # AX-x13PET-R | Rs. 37.5k/- (with Std fitting & 10 ft Copper pipe)

3. Daikin 1 Ton Inverter Split | Model # FTKE35GVI | Rs. 34000 with R-22 gas
&/or Model # FTKS35EVMA Rs. 39300 with Eco Friendly R-410 gas

4. Samsung 1 Ton Inverter Split | AR12 HV5 | Rs. 37.5k

All of these will cost about 1k for fitting + Rs. 250 per/ft Copper Pipe + Rs. 700 for the Compressor Wall Mounting Bracket.
So approx 4.2k for the installation ¿

Everyone I spoke with told me to avoid the 'fancy looking' LG & Samsung a/cs like the plague.

Similarly, EVERYBODY whom I asked for a/c advice suggested O'General.

The above prices are the cheapest of the lot post surfing a few local showrooms.

The Vijay Sales guy adviced me,
"Sir agar aap pura din ya regularly har roz a/c nai chalane wale hai toh phir yeh le lijiye na:

Carrier duraEdge K Plus 1 Ton 3 Star (all Copper) | Rs. 31.5k including Std fitting & 10ft Copper Pipe) ?"

Does he have a point or do we have a winner amongst #1,2,3 or 4?

Looking forward to your answers.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Right. I am not an expert in this field but if your usage is less, do not spend too much on the AC. Get a basic model. I went for an inverter AC because my usage is quite much because of the heat here in North India. Now I understand that Mumbai also gets quite hot.

Upvote 0
@achilles any idea how many hours a day, how many months in a year, rate of electricity in ur place to make us calculate.

Upvote 0