A split AC for comfortable cooling 1 TON

• Thread starter Thread starter goodburner
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 3,444
ISP
Airtel
So we have a 2 T here that draws insane amount of power and usually just fails to turn on when its most needed, because it just doesn't get enough Volts to start. We have only about 180-190V here at peak power draw(usually 10-12 PM).
And when it is ON, it gets way too cold as the room is quite small for a 2T AC. It's a Voltas Vertis Gold, btw!

We're looking for a 1 TON AC, preferably with high EER and low power consumption that provides comfortable cooling, not bone chilling like the one we have now.
Preferred brands are Bluestar, Samsung, Hitachi, Haier
Avoid Voltas due to bad experiences.
Anyone have any idea?
Budget about 25k, can be higher

Last edited by a moderator:
igloo said:
@achilles any idea how many hours a day, how many months in a year, rate of electricity in ur place to make us calculate.
I live in Mira Rd, Mumbai/Thane for now & this is my electricity tarriff > http://www.rel.co.in/HTML/home_checkAllPresentTariff.html
My electricity consumption for the past year has been under 100 Units mostly.
I may use it again during the transition of seasons when it gets very hot but, I'd primarily be using it only for the Summer months i.e., 8-10 hours a day (for sleeping) & perhaps use it all day during the 2 days off per week.

Upvote 0
Little off topic but I can't resist to post this.
My A.C. service guy called me to get my 1 Ton Split Unit Services, I had to go somewhere so asked him to check back in a few days.
Yesterday morning I went to the Outdoor unit on roof top, and then brought tools and bucket pipe etc and started opening the Outdoor unit.
Steps I followed:-
Un-screwed the Panel, Removed the Jam nut from FAN, Washed the Fan blades, Covered the Motor with Polythene and Washed the Condenser coil.
Cleaned all debris from inside the unit to make clean way for any water coming inside from rain etc.
checked pipes and connections.
replaced the FAN Blade to its, place tightened the blade on rotor
Placed panel back and replaced all screws.
Came back downstairs, Opened the front Panel of Indoor Unit,
Removed and Cleaned Air Filter using water, found almost non-dusty rotor fins inside the indoor unit, so left it after dry cleaning using vacuum cleaner and soft cloth, Once filters were dried in sun, Replaced them.
Turned on the A.C. and I was in Shimla within initial few minutes. 😛leasantry:
So point of writing this is, unless your A.C. is low on GAS, a split easy is easy to be clean and maintain and save that Rs.500/- cause those service guys
would not do anything except what I did, but yeah they have long list of TO-DO which can take customer for a RIDE and do a rip OFF.
Like in Delhi, I don't know why, every time you call a AC guy he would insist on Refilling GAS, recently my parents moved from
lajpat nagar, to Gzb, and AC was removed by a tech, who serves my dads last office for almost 15-20 AC's and assured gas is not leaked
while the guy who came to install at new place said AC is out of gas, pay 1000+ extra to get it filled before I do the installation. 😛issed-off:
While in my own case, a heavily used Samsung Window A.C. has not yet cried for a Gas Top Up since last 8 years. Used every season day/night.
and Split unit I am talking about is 4 years old and has not yet been topped up with GAS, although I paid for service till last season but is less used
as electricity bill from Window A.C. is always reaching 5k a month.
I've serviced my window unit too, but I find it way to exhaustive as you have to take out the unit and then do the cleaning, while split unit is peace of cake to service.
I would have loved to post pics, but My Android was in Semi-Coma and systemui error caused me to reflash my rom Again, I did missed its interface for 2 days
during which I did AC work, else pics/video would have been a boon for D.I.Y type friends, anyway I saved all the data via Nandroid backup before Re-flashing and Resting that justifies my time spent on it.

Upvote 0
True. Window unit is hard to clean as taking out the whole unit on your own is not possible.
I haven't cleaned my outdoor unit since 2 years. Been doing indoor on my own.

Upvote 0