A small query on BSNL Broadband.....

ISP
Airtel
Was on one of Airtel's crappy plan for last 8 years. Cannot resist to move to BSNL's 1199 unlimited 2 MBps plan.

Just a small query before I apply for BSNL. BSNL doesnt throttle any site or block torrents.....rite??? Torrents consume a large part of my internet traffic😛😛.

You should be using a VPN to download from Torrents in any case to be on the safe side.

I am one of the worst critics of BSNL but they do not throttle anything that I have noticed over the last 8 years as a customer. However, their phone lines are noisy, crappy and unstable most of the times and affects the internet usage as DSL keeps going out every few minutes or few hours at the most. Stability and BSNL does not go hand in hand in most cases but if your lines are good (it also depends on area), you can expect hassle-free non-throttled speeds. If you have a ton of downloads to make, I would still recommend Jio 4G welcome offer. Their downloading speeds are still very good and you can finish your lifetime quota of downloads in a month or so (maybe not now as it is 4 GB FUP).

Not sure of any free VPN. All the good VPNs are paid. However, you can check in Google once to check if there are any free VPNs around.

BTW if BSNL lines on your road are good and your friends are using it, you should be good to go with BSNL.

@zaman.....I dont think Jio 4G is a parmanent solution of long term downloads. Been on their preview offer from beginning...their speed here sucks. COuld have waited for their broadband......but dont trust reliance too much.

I am from South Kolkata..............some of my friends here gave positive feedback on BSNL..............where r u from?

I am from Guwhahati, Assam and it is terrible here at least in my road. And I have to bribe the lineman and send multiple complaints yet my lines remain always noisy. I am still trying to get a DB box in front of my house. But I have been trying for the last few hours with only assurances and not practical results. Hope they implement it this time. The SDE promised me again last month but no action has been taken till date. I will still keep my fingers crossed. Ask your neighbours about their BSNL connection and the local linemen help etc.

PIA is the cheapest probably. Use Susubh's link in the VPN word as it is connected to his affiliate account I suppose. He will also get some commission out of it.

My neighbors dont use BSNL broadband.......but the exchange is hardly 500m from my house. The landline doesnt have any noise..........so should there be noise in broadband????

Will they lay a new line for broadband or existing landline wires will do???

If you have a landline connection and it is clear throughout the year, you can go for broadband. No issues at all. If there is no noise in the landline, there is hardly any problem in BSNL. My landline phone has more sound than a barking dog. And it never gets fixed. If the exchange is 500m from your house, then it is smooth as butter. My DB box is 100-200 meters from my house and I have been requesting them from ages to set up a DB box in front of my house. I have been upto their Rs.3400 plans in the past but they never heeded to my requests.

My landline doesnt even get any signal or noise. 😛
But still my Broadband works fine without any disconnection. I use broadband only.

Thanks for the help Zaman.

How to apply for the connection??? I applied online but no response for the past 3 days. Should i go to exchange and apply there??? The problem is my office timings in that case🙁🙁