• Thread starter Thread starter soumya
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 2,643

soumya

Microsoft MVP
ISP
BSNL DataOne
I have a simple question for all of you guys to answer.You see I have this 256 kbps dataone connection.People are always tellling me there is no way to uncap an adsl modem.But believe me,I have seen people having the same 256 kbps connection but they are downloading at a speed of over 100 kbps,right in front of my eyes.I don't know whether they have uncapped their modem or done somethinng else.But be rest assured that you can too download at a speed of over 100 kbps on your existing 256 kbps line.But the problem is that they don't tell me the way to do it.I don't know whether it's their ego or anything else.I am also aware that some of you reading right now may know the trick.So,why not share it??Give it a thought,will you!!!

^ Soumya , I could not get it ...

Dataone 256kbps means download speed is at 256 kilo bits /sec
(= 32 Kilo Bytes /sec) and upload speed is at 64 kilo bits / sec .

I'd like to know if others are downloading at 100kbps i.e.
100 kilo bits /sec or is it at 100KBPS i.e. 100 Kilo Bytes /sec ?

QUOTE(soumya @ Sep 2 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]60810[/snapback]
I have a simple question for all of you guys to answer.You see I have this 256 kbps dataone connection.People are always tellling me there is no way to uncap an adsl modem.But believe me,I have seen people having the same 256 kbps connection but they are downloading at a speed of over 100 kbps,right in front of my eyes.I don't know whether they have uncapped their modem or done somethinng else.But be rest assured that you can too download at a speed of over 100 kbps on your existing 256 kbps line.But the problem is that they don't tell me the way to do it.I don't know whether it's their ego or anything else.I am also aware that some of you reading right now may know the trick.So,why not share it??Give it a thought,will you!!!
[/b]

ADSL line couldn't be capped or uncapped at your CPE, the only place where it could be capped or uncapped is DSLAM combined with the LDAP profile built by your service provider.
Forget about it, its just not possible as of the exiting technology doesn't matter how hard you bang your head with some soldering iron and some pin 😛.

Come on man read about technologies instead of getting fooled by yet another fool.

^ @vichitra , pls respect others . no need to use defaming words !

If you know it then share it. If you dont know it then only read it. If it isnt possible just say so....no need to use wise inflamatory comments to aggrevate others.

he connects at 792 kbps on his 900 plan!

May be he usin...Cheat Engine..frm tht Ur downlaod speed will be more..Only for Show OFF>..ur speed will be 250KBlol..

pls see an interesting post here -->

edit [23 Oct 2006 ] : Link removed as that post nolonger exists

hhhhmmm it is relatively easy to get other ppls passes with bsnl so maybe he's using somebody else's connection.. risky if u get caught 😛

QUOTE(soumya @ Sep 2 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]60810[/snapback]
[/b]

I have seen this article popping up at most of the DataOne forums or Broadband forums which use ADSL technology! Actually the truth is ADSL modems cant be uncapped! Atleast u cant do it with the help of softwares! Thats the basic truth! ADSL is a technology where speed gets controlled at the very switching or server exchange..

However the fact which u have seen is however not untrue.... Ever used a download manager with a dial-up connection? Start a download... and it starts of with a speed of say 12kbps and then after a second or two reverts back to 4-5kbps..... now if u pause the download and restart after say a minute, u will get speeds of 35kbps or more for a few seconds..... but the speed will come down soon..... in lay man terms the "Unutilised bandwidth" gets "ACCULULATED"!!!!!!!!!! It wud be difficult to mention the entire technology behind this... better go for a networking course for CCNA then....

Hence, in broadband, there is more idle-time, along with higher bandwidth... resulting in higher speeds for a longer time..... but try downloading a huge torrent, etc for a hour or so.... and check the download speed.... it is expected to be around the average...

Another factor is SWITCHING EXCHANGE... Main exchange proportionately divides bandwidth among the sub-exchanges..... so if u happen to live in a locality where there are fewer no. of BB users.... u get the addnl higher bandwidth..... hwever if u near a posh locality where there r many BB users, the bandwidth gets shared..... resulting i lesser speeds......

So the bottom line is.... ADSL modems cant be uncapped..... and it also depends upon the are u live in....

😀 🙄 😀

QUOTE(plank123 @ Sep 4 2006, 11:28 PM) [snapback]61137[/snapback]
However the fact which u have seen is however not untrue.... Ever used a download manager with a dial-up connection? Start a download... and it starts of with a speed of say 12kbps and then after a second or two reverts back to 4-5kbps..... now if u pause the download and restart after say a minute, u will get speeds of 35kbps or more for a few seconds..... but the speed will come down soon..... in lay man terms the "Unutilised bandwidth" gets "ACCULULATED"!!!!!!!!!! It wud be difficult to mention the entire technology behind this... better go for a networking course for CCNA then....
[/b]

This artifact is side effect of TCP congestion control, at least NEW RENO/RENO the most deployed TCC exhibit this behavior of sawtooth, in lay man terms start at full capacity and when you hit the barrier get down too steeply /AIMD/.
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BANDWITH ACCUMULATION

Hence, in broadband, there is more idle-time, along with higher bandwidth... resulting in higher speeds for a longer time..... but try downloading a huge torrent, etc for a hour or so.... and check the download speed.... it is expected to be around the average...
[/b]
Idle time doesn't matter here since every subject's get their share of profiled queue usage.

Another factor is SWITCHING EXCHANGE... Main exchange proportionately divides bandwidth among the sub-exchanges..... so if u happen to live in a locality where there are fewer no. of BB users.... u get the addnl higher bandwidth..... hwever if u near a posh locality where there r many BB users, the bandwidth gets shared..... resulting i lesser speeds......
[/b]
1:50 and 1:20 ratio of ADSL for general usage is something whose occurrence is rarest of rare in practical deployment.

So the bottom line is.... ADSL modems cant be uncapped..... and it also depends upon the are u live in....
[/b]
True it can't be capped or uncapped at CPE and it doesn't depends on where do you live at.
ADSL CPE just can't be used to capped or uncapped unless DSLAM or BRAS is b0rked.
PERIOD

QUOTE(soumya @ Sep 2 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]60841[/snapback]
he connects at 792 kbps on his 900 plan!
[/b]
Could you please post some snapshot of network statistics, it seems the sync rate between CPE and exchange DSLAM is totally misinterpreted here.
Give us some more details.