• Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 4,017

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
A friend is pretty close to buying a MacBook Air. Largely because it was highly recommended by a friend and i admit it has a great battery life.

But she is a teacher and uses software like MatLab. I understand that MatLab has a version for Mac OS X. I am not sure how easy it would be to find a version for mac the cheaper way.

In any case, I find it stupid that she would be spending around 70K for a MacBook Air when she is just going to use the machine for Office and MatLab and movie watching.

What I am looking for is a PC alternative. Cheaper, Lightweight. 13-14" display. Great battery life.

Her primary use is Microsoft Office, MatLab, web surfing, instant messaging and well... movie watching.

I understand ultrabooks are currently priced higher than MacBook Air. Looking for something that I might be missing here!

Would have almost recommended an X220 for a beast of a machine if not for the light weight and display criteria. I don't think there are good light laptops, particularly when comparing with the Air

A friend is pretty close to buying a MacBook Air. Largely because it was highly recommended by a friend and i admit it has a great battery life.

But she is a teacher and uses software like MatLab. I understand that MatLab has a version for Mac OS X. I am not sure how easy it would be to find a version for mac the cheaper way.

In any case, I find it stupid that she would be spending around 70K for a MacBook Air when she is just going to use the machine for Office and MatLab and movie watching.

What I am looking for is a PC alternative. Cheaper, Lightweight. 13-14" display. Great battery life.

Her primary use is Microsoft Office, MatLab, web surfing, instant messaging and well... movie watching.

I understand ultrabooks are currently priced higher than MacBook Air. Looking for something that I might be missing here!

Hmm that is a tough one... Watch this following video to see that there isnt much competition to the macbook air in terms of VFM...I cant believe I can actually say that about a Apple laptop but its true... The only laptop which & actually compare to the macbook air in terms of performance but still be a good VFM deal is the Toshiba mentioned in the video... Sadly it is not listed on the toshiba india site but you could have someone carry it for you from the US or even order it through a service like showyourworld.com or amarex's shop & ship & it will cost you less than 50k... Although most laptops come with international warranty I would recommend you chk it toshiba weather they will honor it here in India or not before buying... Here is the video

CNET Top 5: Macbook Air Alternatives - YouTube

The other options other than toshiba ar just plain sad...

damn ultrabooks. too expensive for what they offer. reports say that i would have to wait till 2013 to buy them at reasonable prices. by then Apple would have made them irrelevant. just like they are making regular laptops irrelevant for most general users.

Asus Zenbook Ultrabook is priced in India at around Rs. 90,000 for the base model.

Asus Zenbook Ultrabook is priced in India at around Rs. 90,000 for the base model.

where did you see the price???
if its available here, i can get it for you directly from Asus.

will check with my Asus contact for how much he can get this for me. 🙂also do check other Ultrabooks, they have a lower price than the Asus one.

i mean i can find the ultrabook models that are launched in the international markets. i want to know what models are on sale in india!

i mean i can find the ultrabook models that are launched in the international markets.

i want to know what models are on sale in india!

No Idea! will check out which all are available in the market in the morning.

----------

check this out:-
Buy ACER Aspire S3 (Core i5(2nd Gen)/4GB/320GB/13.3"/W7HP) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
Buy ACER Aspire S3 (Core i3 (2nd Gen)/4GB/320GB/13.3"/W7HP) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews