A good and cheap netbook?

ISP
Jio
My dad wants to purchase a netbook. He already uses a notebook and the netbook won't be for primary use so obviously the budget is not very high. The screen size should be around 10-11 inches. Any suggestions?It must have Windows 7. A friend suggested me one from Samsung but it has MeeGo, and I'm not interested in it. Windows 7 is a must. Added to that it will be good if it has WiFi 802.11n (for hotspot), but it's not a compulsion.Please suggest, any sort of suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks. 🙂

you are looking for a netbook with windows 7? you are probably asking for trouble here.

because netbooks are generally powered with intel atom processors which are not really powerful enough to support windows 7. of course you would find enough models in the market. but you are probably looking at the home edition which does not feature aero. and in that case, you would be better running XP on it 😕 personally i would suggest to get a cheapo netbook with no OS. try and see if your dad can work on a linux distribution. could be an interesting change for him unless of course if he needs Windows only apps for his work/leisure.

Well he will use the netbook mostly while travelling and will certainly require the ease of Windows. Regarding Linux, I don't know whether he will be comfortable with it or not. Does MS Office run on Linux?And what's the issue with Home edition? Aero is just for UI, isn't it? I don't think he will mind an old fashioned UI but a completely different OS.BTW I just came across a video on YouTube. Looking at the comments and likes, it seems good!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO2-EcJ8rag

I am using a Samsung NB148 netbook. It came without OS and with 1GB RAM. I got the RAM upgraded to 2GB and installed Windows 7 Home Basic 32bit (genuine OEM version) on it.Battery life of this netbook was good initially but after 2 years of sporadic use, battery life is down to 1.5 hours only. Display quality is bad and one can't work on a MS word or excel doc on this netbook for a long time without stressing eyes. Right now I'm using this netbook as a downloading rig only. In my routine business I need a PC just to upload/download (FTP) files all day long and the netbook is good enough for that.If I had to buy a new PC now, I'll not buy a netbook again because of very little cost difference between a netbook and regular laptop now a days. About 4 months ago, I bought a Toshiba laptop with Intel Core-i3 CPU, 1 GB RAM, 15 inch screen without OS for Rs 20000. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and installed genuine Windows 7 Home Basic 64bit OS on it and it is a good PC without any limitations of netbook. Total cost was about Rs 25000 only including RAM upgrade and genuine OS.So I believe going for netbooks now doesn't make sense. 15 minutes of fame for netbooks are obviously over. Now people buy tablets or regular laptops only.

a 20K laptop is unlikely to give you 5-6 hours of battery life. this is what netbooks are for... low processing units that deliver long battery life. the netbook my dad uses... probably has a rated battery life of 8-9 hours though i doubt it runs for more than 5-6 hours. this is usually enough for his entire day of market tracking. with a regular laptop, he would have to charge it in between. i initially thought of buying him a tablet. but of course... all decent tablets are like super expensive right now.