Rumored Reliance Jio Fiber Broadband Plans

I am not talking about conflict with LCO.... but the service delivery model of Jio Gigafiber, that is through LCO.....

Airtel has been able to maintain quality because they are working directly without any intermediate partner..... And most people were speculating that Jio will deliver good service as it will be serving directly to customer............. but with LCO model, these conflicts are bound to happen and ultimately customer will suffer....

Although IMO Excitel is providing good service through LCO model but not all LCO's are good...... so you can see in this forum itself how many times people have blamed Excitel..... And in case of Jio gigafiber since they will have Triple Play....... it will be three times the trouble......

He is talking about the fact that JIo isn't going with the LCO model everywhere. I have a direct connection from Jio itself not via any LCO, same is the case with many Jio Gigafiber users here. in fact, this is the first time I have heard that any LCO is involved with Jio for its fibre service.

Maybe Jio will initially tie up with LCOs in some places to improve their reach. Even BSNL does this for FTTH. But of course, service won't be as good as it'd be if they offer connections directly.

Distribution is a big overhead........ Equipment, space and manpower........ I do not think with prevalent prices i.e. 50Mbps Unltd@Rs.500/-.... Jio is going to invest in that.....

As is being said in the media, in the AGM of Reliance Industries on 12th August, the tariff for the various services under GigaFiber will be announced. Everybody, including the competitors, is very curious about the same.

In the meantime, let us play a game. The game of guessing the various packages which Reliance is most likely to announce on 12th August.

Please do not post your wish of packages. My wish, of course, is that the test phase with zero charges should continue forever. But I am also aware that if the company grants my wish, it will not last long enough to meet my wish of forever free services.

Jio's tariff package(s) will most likely be very aggressive like in the case of mobile data, with objectives to be met something like:
1) To become a significant entity in the highly competitive market in 3 years with some profits and market leadership in some segments of services and
2) To become the market leader in all segments with huge profits in 5 years.

Bearing the above or such other assumed objective in mind, you may place yourself in the seat of CEO of GigaFiber and make the announcement on the tariff of Jio Gigafiber.

All your guesses may be in a single post, but you may edit it any number of times till the announcement.

So, let us go ahead and have some fun and also some insight into the area in which all of us will be interested.

PS: I hope this game of guessing is not against the rules of the forum. If so, apologies and the Admins may kindly delete this thread altogether.

Last edited:
I am guessing Rs 599 for 100 Mbps plan having IPTV set top box and a telephone line. For 1 Gbps plan I would say Rs 999.

During the first 3 years, the aim is likely ...

1. to convert all existing wired consumers (including enterprise customers) from every other wired broadband operator into JioFiber in every city they'd provide service, including some tier 3 / 4 cities.
  2. to disturb DTH market, thus converting some existing consumers (in metros and tier-1 cities) into JioFiber. This is likely to take more time than #1, and this is not even practical everywhere as it requires a smart TV (or an alternative such as a set-top-box; this can increase the initial cost that may not be affordable by consumers in tier 3/4 cities).
  3. to bring value added services or premium services for consumers who can afford it.
Considering the above, JioFiber is likely to come with at least 25 plans that can cover entire range of consumers from #1 mentioned above.

Basically, the plans are going to be categorized broadly into three categories...
  1. Truly unlimited plans (starting with 2mbps unlimited)
  2. FUP based plans (starting with 100gb limit)
  3. Plans with daily FUP limit (starting from 10gb per day)
Truly unlimited plans:

For example, BSNL ADSL users are likely to be happy with 2mbps, 4mbps, 8mbps, 25mbps unlimited plans. These plans are likely to come with the price range of INR500 per month (for 2mbps unlimited), 750 (4mbps unlimited), 1000 (8mbps unlimited), 2000 (25mbps unlimited) respectively. There would be zero free add-on services (such as IPTV) with these plans. All add-ons are likely to be paid add-ons.

FUP based plans:

Airtel fiber users are hard to convert. VDSL users would switch in no time from what I guess. In either case, providing two times data for the same amount can attract Airtel customers (and other fiber customers like ACT). Or JIO would provide the same amount of data for the same price with free add-ons such as IPTV. Considering this, the FUP based plans are likely to be in large number with differential speeds and differential data limits.

Some of the plans with FUP are...

100gb at 100mbps with IPTV at INR 500 per month
1tb at 100mbps at 1000 per month
1tb at 500 mbps at 2000 per month

They are likely to price the plans like how Apple does. They make one or two attractive plans such as 100gb at 100mbps at INR 500 per month. Then, there would be super-stupid plans like 50gb at 50mbps at 400 per month and 25gb at 25mbps at 300 per month.

Most FUP based plans (except one or two attractive plans) are likely to come with zero add-ons. Most add-ons are likely to be paid.

Daily FUP plans:

This is again to target BSNL broadband consumers. All BSNL consumers (ADSL / fiber) would convert to JioFiber with zero hesitation, if daily FUP plans start from 10gb per day at 100mbps.

Summary:

It is going to be interesting times (for the next 3 to 5 years) for wired internet in India. In 5 years from now, there would be zero local ISPs. Jio would buy them or would do anything to get them out of the market. So, there would be only a handful of wired broadband providers (such as Airtel, BSNL, ACT) at the national level. Jio would do anything to kick out the competition in the next 3 to 5 years and only then they'd start to make money and profit. They have plenty of money in hand and can borrow tons of money from tax-payers through banks or directly from the market. When they start making money, they wouldn't make money directly by increasing the prices. Instead, they'd make money from add-on services or top-ups. For example, consider 10gb per day at 100mbps. 10gb would be consumed in no time at 100mbps. So, the consumers are likely to be forced to upgrade the plan or go for top-up. What's consider attractive (plan) now, would not be attractive 5 years from now. So, Jio is going to benefit a lot when there is an increase in internet penetration. Do you think DigitalIndia initiative is only for the benefit of the common man?!

@pothi well thought of musings. These factors are of more relavance than even the tarif. I too feel tariff will be attractive to all tiers but will be only one.

@pothi lol if they offer plans below 10 Mbps and 1 TB fup then only people who have no other option will opt for jio. Most LCO including Hathway offers much better plans in Rs 500 range now. I may not need more than 500 gb fup but I like unlimited plans so I don't have to think about watching 4k videos on a monitor that doesn't support 4k or download multiple torrents of old stuff to check which has best quality.

Most customer want to use internet for streaming (both legal and torrent), social media. 2 gb data daily would be enough for streaming on single mobile device but if you just stream youtube on TV and multiple devices you would consume 10 gb within hours.

@pothi well thought of musings. These factors are of more relavance than even the tarif. I too feel tariff will be attractive to all tiers but will be only one.

That'd be interesting. In that case, Jio needs to offer unlimited data and free add-ons (or value added services) at a really attractive price-point.

I’m not sure if Jio is gonna launch. I still feel that the launch is atleast a year away.

But also; they don’t have anything else to offer.

If they are going to offer anything less than 1TB for Data for Speeds more than 100Mbps? (Keeping competing with Airtel in mind). They are going to make a huge mistake. Because, Airtel is a sinking ship anyway.

Anything less than 1TB is not acceptable where the era is turning into the NETLIX and Amazon Prime.

Given that, Jio itself wants to tap into this market with their JioCinema, JioTV or Whatever more they have in their store.

What would be market disrupting is "Unlimited FUP" which Hathway (Parent is Reliance now) is already doing in Hyderabad and might follow in other cities.

Since, a lot of people have mentioned that, Hathway is using the setup or inherited the setup of Reliance in last few days.

So if Hathway is going non-FUP. Reliance follow the same (most probably).

But the only thing I am not sure about is, Why Reliance wants to keep Hathway into the market where it will only act as it's competition?

The only answer to this I have is, they might want to keep Hathway as cheap option with not that good level of server quality (as many of us agree, Hathway Support is not that good and understanding).

Reliance JioGigaFiber will be their premium offering with 1Gbps at max. with Airtel Level Customer Support.

I think Reliance might settle itself somewhere around ACT and Airtel.

Reliance isn't eyeing Nextra, Tikona, Excitel, Comway or any other small level ISP.

Reason for Excitel to be not a threat
: They are small and they are too much dependent upon the LCOs as which is the biggest issue they will never be able to compete with any other ISP even with their "Attractive Speeds and Unlimited FUP they claim". Going Fiber won't help either since LCO is the problem.

The only real threat is Airtel.

Since, Airtel don't have Fiber right now and their presence and the operational speed of deploying Fiber is way too low. Reliance might take advantage of it and rate their plans little costlier than Airtel's.

So if we want to take a bit of idea of the pricing, ACT and Airtel are the plans we should compare with. It will fall under same or similar brackets (Keeping FUP should be more than 1TB in any plan).

So if Airtel ask for 799 for 40Mbps. Reliance might ask for anything 500-700 for the 50Mbps.

They want to keep their pricing less than Airtel but also wants to make money as much as they can.

They don't want to scale their prices higher in later stages (like they had to do in Reliance 4G's case. Of course that affected their business a bit).

A price lower at start and rising afterwards affects the market share. What Reliance should be opting is make the price right and it should lower it down in future.

Because as soon as Reliance launched, Airtel will start to buckle up and I can see 799 Plan changing into 599 or 649 somewhere soon.

Airtel Fiber will be reality within 1 year or so. (Of course they will now opt for deploying over-the-head now).

Reliance and Airtel will be major players in Broadband Business in India.

I expect it to be around 600 for IPTV , Voip/ landline and broadband with 1.1 tb at 100 mbps speed for those who have dual band ont router and it will be same for 2500 one also, but the speed over wifi will be 50 due to its single band.

Also,, I am expecting that they will also provide broadband and landline package only which can be around 400-500 as it is now being provided by hathway, which is a part of Reliance Group now and thats the reason they are offering 100 mbps with no fup in some places where hathway is established for around 400 to 500 rs, hathway will be in that areas where jio is not feasible.

1gbps plan I expect it to be around 1500- 1800 rs and for 200 300 mbps plan it wipl be around 800-1200 rs.