A funny (expensive) turn of events.

Hi peeps,

I never wanted my first post ranting about BSNL's poor service, that on New Years Eve.

I have been using BSNL for about last 7 years. Previously ADSL and now Fiber.

In my line of work, Internet is the only tool that is used, without it Its just nil.

When I relocated to a remote location on outskirts of my city, I knew getting an ISP is going to be difficult. But still, I tried every single solution, from using 7 hotspots to a unreasonably expensive air fiber connection from a private player.

One day I was just fed up and decided to talk to the nearest bsnl exchange and offer them to pay for the amount of Optic Fiber Cable that should be used to lay down to my house. It turns out, they were never interested in laying out the cable even though the cable should be free for the customer end just because I was the only projected user in that area. I felt that was a genuine issue for them also. So I reached out to a contractor and spent about 100k in laying down the cable. The cable acted as a leased line to me because there was no other user. Even though none of the other residents contributed to the cable, I was ready to happily share the connection with them.

Now, the cable has been laid, a fiber booster has also been installed underground, the only issue was from LCO's end. And when I went to the exchange I was surprised how unorganized the system was. The LCO was literally the dumbest person I ever met in ISP field. When I told him I installed an underground fiber booster for the 10km boost, he was like "bhaiya ye booster kya hota hai" Omfg. I called my friend over to Delhi who was at a very generous post in BSNL asked his friends to visit me that too on my cost. haha, here comes the good part. They came in a Hyundai Grand i10, drunk as hell, smashed right into my Innova, hahaha. It was the hardest thing to believe at the time that I paid a couple of highly experience/educated/matured engineers to drive for 4 hours just to smash into my perfectly parked Innova Crysta.

The next day, after I paid for their accommodation at a nearby guest house, when they reached the site, they said the equipment was non standard and they were unable to configure the booster without the personnel who installed it. I called the person who installed the booster and he single handedly configured the booster in under an hour. When I asked him, what was so tough if its done under an hour? He replied ,as I quote, "Bhaiya ye aapke Delhi wale engineers ko booster mein login karna bhi nahi aa raha tha" and the password for booster's login page was the password that is probably used in every single web based login locally created by a networking device, admin admin. Pff I had enough of it, it was around 3 months I logged into my work portal and at start, I was determined I would only login with the internet from this infrastructure that costed my Innova's right headlight. The only benefit for calling the engineers was that they can hook my line to the exchange more efficiently and quickly than the LCO.

After the hookup, there comes the issue for using an appropriate ONU. I chose a Huawei ONT.

After 3 months of me hustling while being unemployed resulted finally resulted into an internet connection in my house that could have been done in 3 hours If I lived inside a city.

I decided to go for the 300mbps plan. And for around 7 months it worked like a charm, I was receiving 200mbps on all 7 of my access points with 300mbps on wire. I also use inhouse fiber termination to convert data from Cat6 to Fiber.

After 7 months I started experiencing very poor connection speeds. When I traced the route I did not find anything unusual. Everything was fine. I reached out to the LCO he said everything was fine from his end also. As I was in between a very important phase for my work, I shifted to a new place temporarily for 20 days.
When I came back, I ran a network troubleshooting tool created by my friends at Comcast in US. And as I was using a Huawei it was compatible. It showed no signs of error.

Me being a dumb, forgot to check the Receiving optical power. When I logged into the router it showed whopping -36dBm. I immediately realized the issue is not from my side.

Co indecently the Tracert tool that traced the whole networking infrastructure was running on one of my machines. And I noticed there is device missing. I just felt it, I was not sure what's missing. I checked almost every switch, media converter, ONT, PPPOe Logger, nothing was abnormal. Then I randomly decided to login to the booster that was Installed in a locked concrete housing(Like a Sewer) on side of the road 7KMS away from my house. The Page did not load. I was kinda relieved that I found the problem. Next Day I visited the sewer with one of the LCO's "ladka" and on the way he said, "thode din pehle hum aapka booster theek karne aaye the" It sounded a little weird because the LCO did not even knew what a Optical booster was. But however when we opened up the sewer, Boom!! there was no booster. The cable was simply spliced(joined) with each other. I was furious, I called the ISP and asked him where is my booster. He told" bhaiya vo toh maine office mein laga dia, aap tension na lo aapka net sahi chalega" the amount of gaaliyan and anger I showed was immeasurable.

Anyways, I am back at using hotspots not only 7, now I use 9 hotspots and mostly work at my friends, who lives 30 mins from my place. I cannot host get togethers despite having a spacious property just because no one is interested without an internet connection. But yes, I do have some CSGO Lan parties, so that covers up for me.

I never tried contacting that LCO again, Ill probably wait till any other private player such as triple play is ready to use that cable and infrastructure. Jio is there but it uses a centralized system and cannot expand from a fixed circle, also my cable is incompatible for there systems.

My Car's Headlight has been repaired.

Happy New Year Ya'll and be grateful you live in a nice place if you have a nice internet.

@namanchhabra Really don't know what to say. It's just sad. I hope you get the connection that you deserve real soon. Wishing you a great year ahead.

It has been an ordeal for you to get such an experience that too after spending money from your own pocket.
All we can say is, use while it lasts and get a new connection from another player whenever it becomes available.

He told" bhaiya vo toh maine office mein laga dia, aap tension na lo aapka net sahi chalega" the amount of gaaliyan and anger I showed was immeasurable.
Was the booster your property? Did you ask them to reinstall it at the correct location after this? Unfortunate ordeal really. 🙁

All I can say is, please fight these morons.

Continue using BSNL

I have similar experiences with LCO but not that expensive experience hahaha

He wanted me replace my working router when it was an issue on their end.

They are really nice people though here, even put me into a separate port

Just call them again and bug them. You spend too much money on it to not bug them constantly.

Now, the cable has been laid, a fiber booster has also been installed underground

It seems like he paid for the booster, how tf could anyone take it away like that?

Could you tell a bit more about this “booster”? What model? What brand? Why did you need it for just 10kms? There are SFPs capable of 80-160kms.

Was the booster your property? Did you ask them to reinstall it at the correct location after this? Unfortunate ordeal really. 🙁
Yes, I asked a local shop from where, the fiber was bought. He never dealt in such items, but after some negotiations he decided to arrange that for me.

It seems like he paid for the booster, how tf could anyone take it away like that?
Yes, Even though I bought a refurbished yet fantastically working booster, it was my property. And the LCO using it for his personal use was, ngl, a little amusing for me.

Just call them again and bug them. You spend too much money on it to not bug them constantly.
Just like me, they were also fed up. Because one of them told me "aap ek connection ke liye itna kaam karva rhe ho" and even after all the setup, it was a mere ftth connection for them, without any other bonus or consentive. So you see, LCO is not at fault here. Its the BSNL, who is giving LCOs the right to choose their own equipments. And they always, I say always, go for the cheapest option out there( ever heard a bsnl lco using a Huawei or Nokia olt), that results into not standard installation. So, even tho my equipment were universal/standard, their wasn't.

Could you tell a bit more about this “booster”? What model? What brand? Why did you need it for just 10kms? There are SFPs capable of 80-160kms.
Unfortunately I cannot provide any details regarding brand because it was a generic device from china. Not only this, every ont or olt you use is manufactured in china, brands like Syrotech, sharp, optronix just stamp them with their logos. But I can provide you with the technical details so that you can lookup online.
Its called an EDFA(Erbium Doped Fiber Amplifier).
Mine was a generic single port booster with 2 rx and 2tx core ports. It was a mini so, there was no need for SFP. Laser comes already rigged to it. You just have two wires coming out of it which are just like your normal patch cords installed at home. Also, there is a power cable to run the web server and charge the erbium. It is based on a chemical known as erbium. Look online , but you will only find the industrial units with 8x16 ports etc. Which can cost upto 500k. Mine was just 17k.
I know there are SFPs with such capabilities, but my area was not under their normal service circle, and I know circles are alloted by DOT but I have never seen an operator working within it except the centralized systems like jio, airtel etc.
What they did was hook the cores of my cable to a fiber splitter junction box. Which already was handing out several ftth connection. This was no problem for me as I had to use the booster to install a wavelength firewall to it. And also, if you notice, I always said "like a leased line".

Last edited:
Did you ask them to reinstall it at the correct location after this?
No, I asked them to return it, and it also turns out he knew how to equip and install a fiber booster lol. He returned it the very next day. And I have a splicing machine but don't know how to use it. So, I called one of the LCO's ladka and asked him to visit me after his work hours without telling the LCO. We both installed the booster and covered it with polyethylenes. The power cord is just connected to one of the poles and a nearby solar panel. It bearly uses energy equivalent to a mobile charger, also has a built in li-on battery, said to last about 5 years. And erbium upto 3 years.