A disk read error ocured

• Thread starter Thread starter arun123ks
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 3,249

arun123ks

ISP
airtell
I have gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C MOTHERBOARD in two PC in both PC have seagate ST3160215AS SATA HDD. From some days when computer start it show message " A disk read error occured" press ctrl+Alt+Del to restart computer or some times it show message "Error in loading operating system". when I connect HDD to Other SATA port of same motherboard its works fine and next time I start PC then same problem ocured. Again I do same process it works fine and when I restart next time it show same message and not start. I unable to deside that the problem in motherboard or HDD. plz any boady have its solution plz help me ( sorry for my english) I try seatoos short DST is falled

Download "seatools" from seagate.com and test your HDD for any problems. Also download " Seagate Disk Wizard" from seagate to make a image of your disk, so you will not loose any data if your disk fails.

If you have a Windows XP CD, boot from it and press R when prompted, to repair using the recovery console.

Check your disk for errors using chkdsk. Maybe with a switch like chkdsk /R or chkdsk /F

I try seatoos short DST is falled

If your drive is still under warranty then go to any seagate service center and get it replaced. Backup your data your disk can stop working anytime.

Try what caterpiller posted too, if it dosent work then get the drive replaced.

Since both pcs have the same config, try the hdd which (you think) has problems on the other pc. If it works fine 4-5 times, then the problem is with MB of first pc, otherwise it might be a hdd issue. Or do have the same problem on both machines?In any case, find a way to save imp data. A hdd crash is a shitload of trouble depending on the data.