Declare your online purchases from overseas or pay 1 Lac fine ?

• Thread starter Thread starter bhojv74
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,434
We are fucked.

I pay Dreamhost for hosting, I guess I would now have to pay tax locally for that? Why? I pay income tax on the money already. Why should a company not based in India pay Indian government tax? Insane.

I pay Dreamhost for hosting, I guess I would now have to pay tax locally for that? Why? I pay income tax on the money already. Why should a company not based in India pay Indian government tax? Insane.

I guess it would be difficult for the Govt to chase these companies abroad for tax. They should keep some threshold limit for the purchase. I used to buy essential vitamins from vitacost, which is otherwise 5 times to price in India. There are so many examples of the same.

I am not sure why government deserves tax on something I do not purchase in India. If I am buying something from USA, the company is already charging me a local tax on it right?

I am not sure why government deserves tax on something I do not purchase in India. If I am buying something from USA, the company is already charging me a local tax on it right?

Right, assuming it is a USA merchant, the tax goes into USA coffers and India looses Forex. I guess this is an effort to control Imports no matter how small it is.

so basically they are telling consumers in usa to stick to us based merchants? and let's all become an island? good job. i hope china applies similar policies on india. and so does usa.

why would indian gov want to tax someone who is not indian? they will be paying tax in their own country, wont they? isnt that how things work?