• Thread starter Thread starter pita
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 2,184

pita

Regulars
ISP
FLAG is my ISP
plan to build a low-cost, low-power consuming pc whose sole purpose is to stay online 24x7...

What do I want to use it for?
1) Downloads huge torrent & runs emule
2) Runs a Webserver/FTP/DAAP
3) Works like NAS/fileserver,(all my backed up data goes in there
4) Should be compatible to run Linux too. (note: Sata support, no exotic h/w)
5) It will sit on my home network, always connected switched on, I will connect to it using VNC, or remote desktop.

Note pls:
1) Uses low power, generate less heat
2) Less noise please, if using fans, maybe passive cooling?
3) It should support IDE or Sata disks both
4) Doesnt a powerful processor or a sound card or a graphics card.
5) I will run Windows XP or maybe a some flavour of linux, so it shouldnt have exotic hardware...
6) But again, Less power, Less heat, Less noise priority
7) And It should be cheap I just need a chasis, mobo, processor and ram sticks

What I can thought of already
1) Use an Old laptop with a broken LCD (I am fine with it but how will I connect extra harddisk to fit in my ~1 TB of data)
2) Use NAS like NSLU2 (Yea but i need it to connect to 3 sata drives and 2 ide drives... buying usb cases for them doesnt cut it, plus I am sure when those 3-4 Gig torrents run, it would sweat) Other NAS simply wouldnt work
3) So that mean I will need to build a *PC*

If Flag is ur isp then get these pc units from Us they r pretty cheap there 😛

My thought goes along the lines of Laptop on this (as you mentioned in your post as well).Advantages:1. UPS is for free 🙂 and if laptop can power Router/Modem thru USB then even better2. Power consumption is as low as it gets3. Easy to maintainNow the question on how to connect HDDs to laptop. I don't know how does USB 2 speeds compare [on the ground] with EIDE/SATA speeds but if USB2 is good enough for you then this could be an option.

Get my old Intel celeron PC.

It used to stay on day and night

So whats the new price :rofl:

@netfreak the problem is i have several disks, and laptop will have like 2-4 usb ports.. and purchasing em for even 10K, wud me costlier than building a cheap box... =)So any one can tell me specific configuration that i shud go for if i want to build a cheap/green box